Certificate of Recovery

Looking for advice from anyone who has boarded with a certificate of recovery.  

I was on the Odyssey of the Seas 4/8-4/17 and started feeling sick 4/18, testing positive on a PCR test on 4/19.  I have another cruise on Harmony of the Seas on 5/8.  I've spoken to my doctors office and they will provide a letter once the ten days passes from my PCR test date, which will be 4/30 so in plenty of time before my next cruise.  What I'm looking for is to see if anyone has boarded RCCL since they started allowing you to show the prior positive PCR in the 11-90 day window w/ the letter.  I don't want to get to the port and find out they need something else and I can't board.  Any advice from anyone who's done this would be appreciated.  

Edited by mickeygirl78
  • Like 1

Just now, jerseygirl3 said:

They are exempt from testing if they have a Letter of Recovery and proof of their initial positive test that shows 11-90 days prior to embarkation.  

Right, but getting that and having RCI accept it at the pier may be much more difficult than a simple antigen test.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Right, but getting that and having RCI accept it at the pier may be much more difficult than a simple antigen test.

True, but then Royal shouldn't put it on their website that they accept a Letter of Recovery.  

Just now, jerseygirl3 said:

True, but then Royal shouldn't put it on their website that they accept a Letter of Recovery.  

Providing more options is usually a good idea, regardless of how difficult implementing such an option may be. 

• Like 1

I know the negative antigen would be the easiest route, however, I'm just trying to find out if anyone has boarded w/ the positive PCR and certificate of recovery.  If I take an antigen and it comes back positive, I will need to do this, so trying to make sure I have all my ducks in a row for a smooth boarding.  It's my "back up" plan.  My doctor said even on an antigen test, I may still test positive for a few weeks.  

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, mickeygirl78 said:

If I take an antigen and it comes back positive,

Those free gov't tests would be handy about now. As long as you follow all the rules outlined on the web site you should be OK but I don't recall anyone reporting boarding via the recovery letter method yet.

Biker, who expects someone to chime in with one soon.

On 4/22/2022 at 10:57 AM, Biker19 said:

Those free gov't tests would be handy about now. As long as you follow all the rules outlined on the web site you should be OK but I don't recall anyone reporting boarding via the recovery letter method yet.

Biker, who expects someone to chime in with one soon.

We got our free government tests 3 days after we  ordered. But they arent valid for cruising as they arent proctored 

1 minute ago, jerseygirl3 said:

We got our free government tests 3 days after we  ordered. But they arent valid for cruising as they arent proctored 

Proctoring ...

For iHealth: https://ihealthlabs.com/products/ihealth-verified-covid-test-service

For any manufacturer: https://rapidtestandtrace.com/product/observed-test-for-travel/

4 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

So you can purchase this for  $20 and they proctor and send you results thst are accepted by cruiseline using your own test? 

23 minutes ago, jerseygirl3 said:

The poster just wanted to know if he was still positive a few days out before taking the official one two days out - those government ones are good for that. 

I used a document of recovery to board a flight back to the US recently.  No one blinked an eye.  I intend to use it to board a Carnival cruise next month.  

Reason for it is some folks will continue to test positive for up to 90 days.   Per the CDC:

"People who have recovered from COVID-19 can continue to test positive for up to 3 months after their infection.  CDC does not recommend retesting within 3 months after a person with COVID-19 first developed symptoms of COVID-19 (or the date their sample was taken for their first positive viral diagnostic test if their infection was asymptomatic)."

I could very likely test negative prior to our cruise in 32 days.   Since the recover doc is good for 90 days I'll  follow the CDC and not do a test.      

• Thanks 1

LofR is ok and used in Lieu of any Covid testing, I got this right form the Executive office at RCL, as you can test +ve for up to 90 days after your +ve case of Covid 19. 

We are heading to Rome in mid May and our LofR will be used for flights, to enter Italy and board the Odyssey OTS. 

I had covid at the end of January and my husband had it at the end of February.  We both had positive PCR test results from a hospital.  My sister is a Family Nurse Practitioner and wrote us letters to accompany the test results.  The letters stated the date we tested positive, the dates of our quarantines and the date that were considered fully recovered.  We used them to board Independence in Port Canaveral on 4/4.  The process was a little different than people boarding with a test (our children boarded with Emed rapid tests).  When we lined up outside the terminal and before being let into the building each person had to present their vaccination card and negative test.  As we were boarding with a certificate of recovery,  we were given a sticker to put on our shirt and we were told to wear it until we boarded the ship.  When checking in we each presented our positive test and letter.  Another gentleman was called over to verify the documents and then they had to take pictures and upload them into their system.  It was a little more involved than boarding with a test,  but I assume that is because we would be exempt from testing and quarantine if exposed onboard so they needed copies of everything.  I packed Emed tests in my backpack so if we were turned away we would be able to go find a place to do the Emed test, but everything went through just fine.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, SNemeth said:

I had covid at the end of January and my husband had it at the end of February.  We both had positive PCR test results from a hospital.  My sister is a Family Nurse Practitioner and wrote us letters to accompany the test results.  The letters stated the date we tested positive, the dates of our quarantines and the date that were considered fully recovered.  We used them to board Independence in Port Canaveral on 4/4.  The process was a little different than people boarding with a test (our children boarded with Emed rapid tests).  When we lined up outside the terminal and before being let into the building each person had to present their vaccination card and negative test.  As we were boarding with a certificate of recovery,  we were given a sticker to put on our shirt and we were told to wear it until we boarded the ship.  When checking in we each presented our positive test and letter.  Another gentleman was called over to verify the documents and then they had to take pictures and upload them into their system.  It was a little more involved than boarding with a test,  but I assume that is because we would be exempt from testing and quarantine if exposed onboard so they needed copies of everything.  I packed Emed tests in my backpack so if we were turned away we would be able to go find a place to do the Emed test, but everything went through just fine.  

Did you have vaccination cards, too? 

9 hours ago, SNemeth said:

The letters stated the date we tested positive, the dates of our quarantines and the date that were considered fully recovered.  We used them to board Independence in Port Canaveral on 4/4. 

Welcome to CC.

• Haha 1

I can’t speak to Royal, but I used a Certificate of Recovery to board the Celebrity Edge a few weeks ago.  No problems at all. One person at a table glanced at it and the associated positive test results for a few seconds and off we went.

Is there a specific time that the certificate of recovery needs to be dated in relation to your cruise? A member of our party tested positive a few weeks ago(within 90 days of cruise) and our cruise is may 29th so we are approx 33-34 days away. Can we get the cert now?

7 minutes ago, bladeguy1308 said:

Is there a specific time that the certificate of recovery needs to be dated in relation to your cruise? A member of our party tested positive a few weeks ago(within 90 days of cruise) and our cruise is may 29th so we are approx 33-34 days away. Can we get the cert now?

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/if-recovered-from-covid-19-need-to-be-vaccinated-or-take-a-test-to-sail

9 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Ive read that. I was wondering if something was missing such as the cert of recov needed to be within 10 days of the cruise or something like that. You can get covid at day 89 and then get a cert of recov on day 77 and then contract covid 1or 2 more times prior to the cruise!