Princess demographic / suitability for young honeymooners?

Ebeth63

My son and his fiancée are considering a cruise for their honeymoon next year. They will both be 29 and are well travelled. My son has cruised twice before on Azamara but this would be the first time cruising for his fiancée. I am wondering whether the Enchanted Princess would be a good first experience for them - and obviously want their honeymoon to be memorable for all the right reasons! They would be cruising in August so I assume there might be a lot of children about, which would not suit them - or maybe the demographic is older? Any advice would be appreciated.

Summer cruises attract a younger demographic with children, especially those that are about one week long.  We find that the longer the cruise the older the average age.  But there are usually some younger folks--but younger to us is under 40.

Would they be cruising out of the US or ???

If you son is used to Azamara, perhaps he and his wife should sail Azamara.  Known product.

If it were my son and they could swing it,  I would definitely suggest a Celebrity Edge class ship, especially Celebrity Beyond.  Take a look at at the Celebrity website.  These ships are made for young, sophisticated cruisers.  Also, Virgin Cruises are geared to that demographic and no children under 18 are allowed onboard.  Very new and innovative ships.  Entertainment on these lines would be much more suitable to honeymooners.  Princess demographics definitely skew in the older range.  Yes, both are more expensive than Princess, but well worth it.

• Like 3

We have cruised a variety of lines since we first got married on a Holland ship and my first Princess cruise was as a teenager.  The right cruise line for someone has less to do with whether they are young or old and more to do with what they enjoy.  If the couple enjoys the more laid back, traditional type experience, they will enjoy a line like Princess.  If they want a more active cruise or enjoy late night parties, they may want to pick a different cruise line.

• Like 2

My Son  and DIL  took a cruise for their Honeymoon in January of 2019. they  were 22 and 21 at the time.  Son had  cruised on princess previously  so  was  used  to it,  and love Princess already.  They  had  a great time.   they  cruised in January  to the  Caribbean.   

One  word of  warning and advice.   remind them NOT to sigh up  for the marriage  game, unless they  want to be embarrassed,   They  will have a  great time

• Like 1

15 hours ago, PatriciaF said:

Summer cruises attract a younger demographic with children, especially those that are about one week long.  We find that the longer the cruise the older the average age.  But there are usually some younger folks--but younger to us is under 40.

Would they be cruising out of the US or ???

If you son is used to Azamara, perhaps he and his wife should sail Azamara.  Known product.

They are looking at Rome to Barcelona - two 7nighters b2b, I think. We are UK based.

Thank you for your response.

I'm a first time cruiser, but I picked Princess for my upcoming honeymoon. My decision was made 90% by itinerary- we're doing the Regal Rome to Athens. I love to travel and am using the cruise ship as a traveling hotel during the port intensive itinerary. I don't like the 21 year old party scene/ food court vibes/ children focus of the other lines. The more "adult" lines advertised at my age group (early 30s) like Celebrity and Virgin didn't have as cool itineraries. I think Rome to Barcelona on a B2B sounds amazing! 

• Like 1

Hi! My husband and I have been on multiple Princess cruises and are both 27 years old. We just booked an early 5 year anniversary trip on the Caribbean Princess for June.

We personally love Princess due to fewer children and a more relaxed vibe on the boat. We're not big partiers so we enjoy the laid-back, more traditional approach. We tend to do more active excursions when off the boat to get our adventure fill. I'd be happy to answer any questions for you!

• Like 1

On 4/23/2022 at 12:05 PM, Ebeth63 said:

My son and his fiancée are considering a cruise for their honeymoon next year. They will both be 29 and are well travelled. My son has cruised twice before on Azamara but this would be the first time cruising for his fiancée. I am wondering whether the Enchanted Princess would be a good first experience for them - and obviously want their honeymoon to be memorable for all the right reasons! They would be cruising in August so I assume there might be a lot of children about, which would not suit them - or maybe the demographic is older? Any advice would be appreciated.

57 minutes ago, oalusk said:

Hi! My husband and I have been on multiple Princess cruises and are both 27 years old. We just booked an early 5 year anniversary trip on the Caribbean Princess for June.

We personally love Princess due to fewer children and a more relaxed vibe on the boat. We're not big partiers so we enjoy the laid-back, more traditional approach. We tend to do more active excursions when off the boat to get our adventure fill. I'd be happy to answer any questions for you!

57 minutes ago, oalusk said:

After 50 cruises I would not recommend Princess for Honeymooners. RCCl oasis class , Or Norwegian Encore. Less elderly less walkers less scooters. More people their own age and lots of fun pool stuff and entertainment. I sail Princess as an elite and love it for me, I’m no youngster 

• Like 1

DH and I cruised on the Ruby Princess for our honeymoon and had a wonderful time! It was his first cruise and we booked a suite, which was wonderful!

If they cruise in late August, there may not be many children onboard since school tends to start then.

• Like 1

I agree to stay out of the limelight of the Marriage  Show.  

Find an itinerary that looks fun, and enjoy the trip.  The age of the other passengers probably wont matter much, and they can soon get adopted by the 'older crowd', but depending on where they sail, they will likely have a great time.  Depending on the time of the year, Alaska, Mexican Rivera, or Caribbean would be great places.  (Alaska is on the younger end of the Princess age group, and I dont recall the Caribbean being filled with 'old folks' -  whatever that means).

I think the European Cruise would be perfect.   If they were single, I'd recommend Carnival but if they want some more quiet time, I'd recommend Princess.   I don't know the kid ratio, but as other posters mentioned, the longer the cruise, the less kids.   In my experience, the Caribbean, Mexico and Alaska tend to have more kids than the European cruises.     I've been on cruises that there have been tons of kids and if the ship has a great kids program, I usually didn't see them except for around the pool which is where they annoy me the most. 

They might consider booking the Sanctuary, this would solve the kids around the pool issue and they would have more semi private time.

Screen Shot 2022-04-24 at 6.05.58 PM.png

Edited by cruzin4us

My husband and I went on a cruise for our honeymoon on Carnival. We were young and wanted to have fun. We met other newlyweds on the cruise as well as many other couples that would meet up after dinner for some dancing, music and comedy shows. Now that our kids are grown and we go to bed early, we cruise on Princess. If they are looking for a nice, quite honeymoon, Princess would be great. But if they are looking for more of a party atmosphere, I would recommend Carnival. 

18 hours ago, Ebeth63 said:

They are looking at Rome to Barcelona - two 7nighters b2b, I think. We are UK based.

Thank you for your response.

My daughter did a similar itinerary for their honeymoon and thoroughly enjoyed it.  They were in their late 20's.  They mentioned at times things slowed down after midnight, but it was fairly port intensive and they wanted to see the ports.  And Rome and Barcelona are great cities to spend a day or two at as well.  They spent some extra days on both ends.  We're US though.

• Like 1

We started sailing on Princess in our early 30s (are mid 40s now).  If your son and his wife's primary interest is in visiting historic cities on the Med itinerary, they will be very happy on Princess.  The food on Princess is quite good, and its a very solid line.  If they'd want more entertainment and more things to do with a younger demographic, a different cruise line might be a better fit.  But the Med is a wonderful itinerary, and so I'm not sure the cruise line matters as much (on cruises to the caribbean, I'd suggest getting a ship with lots of amenities you really love, but on a heavy itinerary cruise I think its less important).  On our European cruises the primary factor has always been  itinerary, and we've been quite happy with that decision, from Cunard to HAL to Princess.  Princess is our favorite line overall so far, but we have kids and they have an excellent children's program for young kids (and that might be a factor for them soon).  Hope they have a wonderful honeymoon whatever they choose!

Edited by kitkat343
  • Like 1

On 4/23/2022 at 11:05 AM, Ebeth63 said:

My son and his fiancée are considering a cruise for their honeymoon next year. They will both be 29 and are well travelled. My son has cruised twice before on Azamara but this would be the first time cruising for his fiancée. I am wondering whether the Enchanted Princess would be a good first experience for them

Azamara has small ships. The Enchanted Princess can have over 3600 passengers.

While I think a honeymoon couple aged 29 can have a good experience on the Enchanted Princess, cruising is quite a different experience on a ship with 3600+ passengers compared to a cruise on a smaller Azamara ship.

The smaller ship will have more personalized interaction with crew and other passengers than on a large ship.

Disembarking and embarking at the ports on the itinerary is also a different experience on a large ship due to the greater number of passengers.

So the Princess experience will be very different from the one your son had on Azamara. Not a bad experience, but quite different. Your son must be prepared for that and not keep thinking that "things were so different on that smaller ship."