Not sure about E class

dateacher

We sailed on the Edge in AQ and love the IV.   

Recently we sailed on the Apex B4B.   In SS, AQ, AQ, SS.  Now after a  balcony In SS and then the IV in AQ we prefer a real balcony.   The issue is the AC, the shade and the doors.   The AC is off if the doors are open.  

The doors are bifold and have a frosted covering.   If someone is sitting on the “balcony’ with the doors closed the person inside can’t see out.  I like to sit out there at night and my wife may be in bed.  She can’t see out.   Or during the day one may want to be inside while the other is outside they can’t see out.  = If the doors aren’t closed the AC is off 

They need a drape instead of frosted glass

Other than that we love the Edge Class.   

Do the Sunset Veranda.   They look very nice and the 4 dining rooms are excellent.   You can have breakfast, lunch on sea days, plus only dinner  in any one. The service is always fantastic.  

A hint would be to look at then cost for a SS.  It includes SBC, high speed internet and the premium bev pack.  Sometimes it isn’t much more and you get all of the other perks of the retreat deck, and lounge, special check in and departure, Luminae , plus a larger cabin. Compare it to the cost of a sunset with the same perks   

We have B2B on the beyond.   It was overall cheaper for SS than for AQ 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When we went on the Edge a few weeks ago we were just off the Royal Caribbean Symphony of the Seas (a huge and wonderful ship) and when walking on the Edge our jaws dropped in amazement.  Everywhere we walked, even on the elevators, it was different and very cool.  We loved all of the restaurants, Eden, the Sunset Bar, the Martini Bar, the very cool theater, the entertainment, everything.

We've been on several of the S class ships and lots of Royal and Princess ships and we thought Edge was the best ship we'd ever been on in all of our cruises.  It was like taking the Celebrity experience to a whole new level.

You should take some when you first board to just explore the whole ship.

Also, if you get a chance, go to the Le Petit Chef  restaurant.  It's a whole new experience and a lot of fun.

We plan to go on E class ships a lot more in the future.  I'm jealous you get a B2B.  I bet you're to love it.

We also had a Sunset Veranda and loved the room.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, miched said:

We sailed on the Edge in AQ and love the IV.   

Recently we sailed on the Apex B4B.   In SS, AQ, AQ, SS.  Now after a  balcony In SS and then the IV in AQ we prefer a real balcony.   The issue is the AC, the shade and the doors.   The AC is off if the doors are open.  

The doors are bifold and have a frosted covering.   If someone is sitting on the “balcony’ with the doors closed the person inside can’t see out.  I like to sit out there at night and my wife may be in bed.  She can’t see out.   Or during the day one may want to be inside while the other is outside they can’t see out.  = If the doors aren’t closed the AC is off 

They need a drape instead of frosted glass

Other than that we love the Edge Class.   

The frosted glass doors don't have anything to do with whether the AC turns on or off. Only the window does. If the window is anything but all the way closed the AC shuts off. It works just like a balcony cabin's balcony door,when it's open the AC shuts off.

The reason curtains weren't considered is they would take up additional space in an already small space that's allocated to the balcony area.

Edited by kwokpot

20 hours ago, kwokpot said:

The E class is a game changer for Celebrity

This is a phrase used by the Celebrity marketing department ever since they announced Edge. 

I'm genuinely interested in how the game is changed by E class? Please explain in your own words what is different. :) 

27 minutes ago, Moby Jones said:

This is a phrase used by the Celebrity marketing department ever since they announced Edge. 

I'm genuinely interested in how the game is changed by E class? Please explain in your own words what is different. 🙂

There are surely a lot of positives about E-Class and we enjoyed our sailing on Edge.  There is much to do and enjoy.

But some here would say the Game Has Changed from having nice open balconies, comfortable and functional furniture, and ocean-facing outside access for all passengers.

2 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

There are surely a lot of positives about E-Class and we enjoyed our sailing on Edge.  There is much to do and enjoy.

But some here would say the Game Has Changed from having nice open balconies, comfortable and functional furniture, and ocean-facing outside access for all passengers.

Maybe I'm blind but after having been on E class a few times then returning to Reflection recently, the whole Cruise Critic favorite about the 'unfunctional furniture' is a bit lost on me. I also felt like there were far more open outside areas on Edge vs S class if you want to wonder around outside. Sure you can't stand at the front center of the ship doing your Titanic reenactment (unless you are in a Suite, of course) but I can't think of a single time where not being front and center of the ship really impinged my good time. 

12 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I enjoyed our sailing on Apex earlier this year. So much so that I booked Beyond whilst onboard. 

I do wonder if Beyond will feel crowded in Luminae due to the increased suite passenger numbers. A candid point raised by Retreat staff with us when onboard Apex believe it or not! But I'm genuinely interested in any reply forth coming from the poster I quoted. :) 

The first time I saw an E class ship I thought Eden was a copy or Celebrity's interpretation of RCL's Cafe 270. I noted that they'd also used RCL's idea for four different dining rooms and that the Magic Carpet as an external bolt on type feature was probably inspired by RCL's North Star. :) 

Edited by Moby Jones
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Moby Jones said:

I'm genuinely interested in how the game is changed by E class? Please explain in your own words what is different. 🙂

The E-Class overall design aesthetic is to evoke a land-based high-end resort such as those found in Miami Beach and less like a Caribbean cruise ship. Although the basic architecture of spaces like Eden are not exclusive to the E-Class (Royal's 270 on Quantum Class and MSC's Cirque du soleil Theater on Meraviglia class) it's execution is unique. Newbuilds for cruiselines can be evolutionary or revolutionary. Celebrity's M-class,as beautiful as they are,were more an evolution of the Century class. Royal's Voyager Class was Revolutionary but Freedom Class was just an larger version. Carnival's Excel Class (which I'm on now) is unlike anything Carnival has previously sailed. There's nothing similar to their previous ships despite having many of the same venues. 

NCL's Prima Class looks like it will take the Cruiseline to the next level with the design looking nothing like any of their existing ships. 

I’ve done 3 E—Class cruises (2 on Edge and 1 on Apex) and have 2 more upcoming. All in IV and never even noticed the Retreat as an adverse impact to my enjoyment. Going to try Retreat on a TA but that’s because of the sea days, not because the ship caters to Suites.

Many other Lines stress their Ship-within-a-ship concept which is where the suites are completely separate and there’s no reason to go outside it. more than a few report they’d not cruise some Line except there because it is not enjoyable otherwise. E-Class has so much more to offer beyond the Retreat and many Suite guests, as posted here, enjoy the entire ship, and even dine in the MDRs at times. So that should be a strong indication. 

Love the 4 MDRs, the outstanding lounges, fantastic theater….and Eden with the wraparound walkway with alcoves to sit and relax and socialize is something no other ship to Line has. 

as to the Infinite Veranda, it is what Im looking for. Most classic verandas I’ve been on with other ships have overhangs, side walls and so on, very much the same enclosure as the IV. And the IV turns the entire SR open and just much larger. I don’t sunbathe so not interested in a full Sun veranda anyway. I like the privacy it affords and still open to the sea. 

Yup, not some peoples choice, but  you might notice, many how don’t like it never tried it, but that’s up to them. You don’t have to try it to make a judgement. 

den

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Salt Lifer said:

We are on the Apex now in an IV for the first time and love it. We basically have a floor to ceiling wall of glass looking out over the ocean which is an awesome view! The extra space is a bonus. We have opened the window a few times for enjoy the breeze but as a whole we like the window shut. If I want to sit out I prefer to do it up by the pool in the sun where it is warmer, anyway. I say give an IV a chance, it is actually very nice.

We were in an IV last month and must say, we really liked it. I would book it again. 

• Like 1

Our favorite ship in the Celebrity line-up has always been the Equinox. Had cabin #1663 corner stern of the ship. Most always in the sun (we like shade). No matter, like the ship so much just chose another cabin next time. Now as we get older and with covid, noro, etc we hesitate getting into crowded elevators, so word of advice choose a cabin near your restaurant (no more than 4 decks away). When it comes time to move up to the Retreat one will find the E class is better restaurant location-wise.

Our last cruise was in a Celebrity suite on the Apex,  although most of what we did was NOT in suite only spaces.  While there are more suites on the E class ships, the ONLY area that caters to suite guest is The Retreat areas & Luminae except on chic nights where an upper level area in the theater is reserved for suite guest.   At least this was our experience.  

22 hours ago, dateacher said:

Thanks for the replies and encouragement.  I may look into a Sunset Veranda depending on the cost.  It's only 12 days of my life.  How bad can it be?

We just enjoyed a sunset veranda on the Apex for a mere 7 nights; was fabulous! Had a long walk to the stairs, but you really need your steps after enjoying the dining rooms and specialty restaurants (heck, even the cafes and buffet!) Was nice to have a lounger to yourself (on the larger veranda) when the decks got a little crowded on sea days. I am sure you will totally enjoy yourself...plus the Edge Class ships are gorgeous!! Eden is a fun place to hang out in the afternoons.

We sailed on Apex, but it was in a suite so I can't comment on the IV.  That said, as people who spend tons of time on our veranda, I don't think I would be happy with an IV.

We also felt that while Apex was stunningly beautiful, we really preferred the more comfortable feel of an M or S class ship.  So much of Apex seemed to be designed to create a 'WOW' factor, rather than to create space and furniture that people would actually be comfortable in.  We also felt the entertainment (production shows) was also designed more to create awe than to necessarily entertain to our liking.  I will say, however, that the Rockumentary show was possibly the best of any show I have ever seen on my 65+ Celebrity cruises!  I also agree that Celebrity is very much focused on the suite life these days.  Not sure how much that actually takes away from the non-suite guests (except for loss of space) but it certainly is more pronounced on the E class.  And that is good and bad.  The suite venues (like the lounge and deck) are larger and nicer than S or M class.  But they are also much, much more crowded.  

• Like 1

And think about the fact that an IV might be very nice on a cruise with less than warm weather. I would think it would be perfect for the Alaska cruises. Stay warm and watch for whales at the same time.

• Like 2

On 4/24/2022 at 9:19 AM, mikewomb said:

I would not like the infinite veranda and wouldn’t want to take a chance. 

You need to make your own observation but for me personally, I am a Solstice class girl. Cruised the Edge in an IV in January 2019. The room was gorgeous and felt spacious but I never felt like I was ‘on’ my verandah. The ship IMO was created to have everyone mid ship in the evening hours as all the specialties and martini bar were lumped together. Never again for me but again YMMV. 

On 4/24/2022 at 3:13 PM, dateacher said:

We have booked the Beyond for a B2B in January.  I really appreciate the live posts from the blogger but at the same time am wondering if we made a mistake.  We really like the Silhouette and Reflection and the veranda.  Between the IV that we are just doing to give it a chance and the fact that it seems that the ship is catering more to the suite passengers and the regular passengers are an afterthought, I'm considering rebooking to another ship. 

Any insights would be helpful.  I would hate to spend 12 days thinking that we should have gone on an S class.

When Edge was first announced, we were excited by the concept.

We tried it once, just before COVID hit and we very much disliked the infinite veranda and really didn't care for the feel and layout of the ship.

During covid, we found a phenomenal price on an Edge cruise (which then ended up being lift/shifted).  We went in with an open mind, intending to give it a fair shake.  While we like the ship itself a little better than before, we thought the infinite veranda worse the 2nd time around.  We will NOT book another E-class unless it's a great deal on a Sunset Veranda.  I'd rather sail on an unrefurbished M-class than the Edge.   

Edited by D C
  • Like 2

On 4/30/2022 at 11:52 AM, cinderellen said:

No it’s not a suite. It’s an accessible room. And yes, it’s about 300 sf. 

Interesting. This room type doesn't seem to be widely discussed or photographed. It appears to be a double width IV cabin?