Covid Outbreak on Regatta - 50 Cabins Quarantined After Cruise

Traveller321Go

47 minutes ago, Traveller321Go said:

The number is passengers only. 

Rooms do not equate to people. This is all speculation.  Sorry for those who are quarentined. O is in a tough situation, people threaten if asked to mask up and blamed if passengers get COVID. Bottomline for me is to beconsiderate of others,  mask up, self test, and isolate if needed. Help O stay in business please 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Ditto and Amen kibutzer.  We want O in business for a long, long time. 
We have friends on Regatta now and have not heard anything negative as yet.  It is impossible to resolve when so many people are asymptomatic so the blame game is not easily played. We had a friend on a Great Britain land tour in perfect health test positive and just had to slog through the 5 days of quarantine plus some additional days in the hotel until she got the airline approval to fly. 

Pre  Covid we were on Riviera and there must have been 100-200 sick with coughs and colds, friends and me included, but there was never any mention of quarantining people. We did our best to isolate ourselves and stay away from the hackers but germs know no boundaries or masks or …. 

Take care and stay well. With all the precautions taken in Washington, even our VP with all 4 possible shots,  tests positive and Nancy and dozens more, it is inevitable that we may all get it at one time or another.  

Mauibabes 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, kibutzer said:

Rooms do not equate to people

Unoccupied rooms don't get sent to a shoreside quarantine hotel. 

Fifty rooms equate to a minimum of 50 people and the reality will be closer to 100 than 50. But even if it's only 50 passengers that's 10% of those on board, which is not a very desirable situation. And how many more are not going to test positive until they start feeling ill sometime shortly after disembarkation ?

• Like 1

So the solution for the cruise lines are to require everyone to test & retest  every few days

Mask up wash your hands often & avoid sharing tables & social distance

Many people are not going to agree & will continue to spread the virus

It may be just cold symptoms to some  but others it can be more serious

We all are tired of covid  but some are still willing to mask up & protect themselves & others

JMO

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Unoccupied rooms don't get sent to a shoreside quarantine hotel. 

Fifty rooms equate to a minimum of 50 people and the reality will be closer to 100 than 50. But even if it's only 50 passengers that's 10% of those on board, which is not a very desirable situation. And how many more are not going to test positive until they start feeling ill sometime shortly after disembarkation ?

also surely can get it during excursions? The only way forward is surely daily testing?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, drkitkat123 said:

also surely can get it during excursions? The only way forward is surely daily testing?

On the Viking Ocean board there's been extensive discussion of daily  testing, which has been part of Viking's protocols since cruising resumed. There are many, myself included, who oppose it . I doubt you can find an epidemiologist who would recommend that fully vaccinated people displaying no COVID symptoms and who are not identified as close contacts of an infected individual  be tested daily . 

IMO the way forward should be mandated wearing of N95, KN95 or KF94 masks in all indoor public spaces except while actually eating or drinking, while on shore excursions, and even in crowded outdoor situations.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, drkitkat123 said:

i know this is a tough question but I wonder if any of those that got Covid on board can give a general impression on how careful they were?? More masks indoors/outdoors?? Ate alone?? etc etc

At the beginning no masks or staying away from other passengers. Half way through when people started getting sick many people started wearing masks. We ate alone, sat alone but still got it. Had there been an announcement telling people about the outbreak I’m sure most people would have been cooperative and responsible to minimize the spread. But it was business as usual and no announcement was made. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

On the Viking Ocean board there's been extensive discussion of daily  testing, which has been part of Viking's protocols since cruising resumed. There are many, myself included, who oppose it . I doubt you can find an epidemiologist who would recommend that fully vaccinated people displaying no COVID symptoms and who are not identified as close contacts of an infected individual  be tested daily . 

IMO the way forward should be mandated wearing of N95, KN95 or KF94 masks in all indoor public spaces except while actually eating or drinking, while on shore excursions, and even in crowded outdoor situations.

just trying to get this straight in my head ---- therefore no testing even before boarding if not a close contact??

8 minutes ago, drkitkat123 said:

just trying to get this straight in my head ---- therefore no testing even before boarding if not a close contact??

I suppose there could be 3 regimes of testing for those without symptoms

1. Upon embarkation at beginning of cruise

2. Upon every return to ship 

3. Daily or ? second daily etc

Not sure which one is better or worse?

39 minutes ago, Doubt It said:

Will cancel the Oceania cruise in August.

A total scam and not paying for it.

Why do you say it's a total scam? Could you provide some specifics so we could understand?

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Traveller321Go said:

At the beginning no masks or staying away from other passengers. Half way through when people started getting sick many people started wearing masks. We ate alone, sat alone but still got it. Had there been an announcement telling people about the outbreak I’m sure most people would have been cooperative and responsible to minimize the spread. But it was business as usual and no announcement was made. 

Di you wear masks, except when eating or drinking and socially distance, regardless of what others were doing?  We're trying to evaluate all the variable of the risks.  Thanks for any insight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drkitkat123 said:

Daily testing, KN 95 masks and high probability of being quarantined for the most part of the cruise… I’m not sure many people will continue to sign up and invest their money into vacations like that if all requirements last for much longer.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, osandomir said:

Daily testing, KN 95 masks and high probability of being quarantined for the most part of the cruise… I’m not sure many people will continue to sign up and invest their money into vacations like that if all requirements last for much longer.

we have a cruise booked but I can only see us going when and if Covid is managed as a normal cold -  there is too high a risk of being confined to cabins even with mask wearing (and that does not seem like doable for me for whole cruise)

• Like 2

We were super careful after it became apparent there was a problem. Masks, sat in the back at the show, avoided groups. We gradually saw fewer and fewer passengers around the ship. People were sick and confined to their rooms during the cruise as well or maybe they were just avoiding crowds. 

I’m also hearing from people who developed symptoms after they got home. 

I heard from several people on the cruise who said they were sick, coughing, sore throat, and didn’t test because they didn’t want to quarantine. 

Unfortunately we were never told about the magnitude of the outbreak so people couldn’t make informed decisions about their health. 

I accept that there is a risk in cruising but I need to know the facts to make my decisions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, drkitkat123 said:

No...I think a test before boarding is fine. What I said is that I'm opposed to daily testing of vaccinated asymptomatic people who are not close contacts of an infected person.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Traveller321Go said:

I heard from several people on the cruise who said they were sick, coughing, sore throat, and didn’t test because they didn’t want to quarantine. 

Isn't this the problem?

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Traveller321Go said:

We were super careful after it became apparent there was a problem.

Isn't this too late to adopt a heightened protocols?

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Traveller321Go said:

We were super careful after it became apparent there was a problem. Masks, sat in the back at the show, avoided groups. We gradually saw fewer and fewer passengers around the ship. People were sick and confined to their rooms during the cruise as well or maybe they were just avoiding crowds.

Did people wear masks onshore or tours?

8 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

Isn't this the problem?

or is it the solution? This is probably what we all used to do before COVID and I will probably only cruise when we can get back to some form of non-isolation for "minor" symptoms.

I am BTW a fully vaccinated physician

• Like 3

Pre covid  we had been on cruises where people were coughing etc.. we would try to avoid  them & stay out the areas  where those sick people seemed to go

It was  not a mask society then but I may adapt to wearing one in the future when travelling

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, drkitkat123 said:

or is it the solution? This is probably what we all used to do before COVID and I will probably only cruise when we can get back to some form of non-isolation for "minor" symptoms.

I am BTW a fully vaccinated physician

Wait...this is not before COVID, and if minor problems are tested and COVID is not the cause, there is no isolation.   So why do you say "when we can get back to some form of non-isolation for "minor" symptoms."  If it's COVID with minor symptoms, one is still infective.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Thanks 1