Question about "Comp" dinner for Diamond Member

cruisers5

I will be Diamond on my next cruise (Divina - May/22) and will receive a Complimentary specialty restaurant “Tasting Menu” dinner per stateroom (no beverages).  Some questions I have....is it only the Butcher's Cut, or are there other restaurants I can pick from (Divina - 4 night sailing).  Do I get to pick what night I would like dinner?  I assume since it's "per stateroom" that will include my daughter (for free) who is Gold Voyagers Club.  Is there only a "set menu" (since it says "tasting menu" on the website under perks for Diamond Voyagers Club) - or can I pick from whatever they offer on their menu?  Do you need to leave a gratuity for the servers?  If so, can it be added to my on board account - or is it in cash?  Thank you for any insight you can provide.

• The comp dinner is for 2 guests so, yes to your daughter joining you.
  • Yes, you can pick any night you'd like.
  • We have only done specialty at Butcher's on Divina post Covid (there used to be Eataly)
  • There is a restricted set of items from which you can order - 1 starter, 1 main, 1 dessert (Google this and you can find the menu)
  • If you have a drink package you CAN use it at the specialty restaurant
  • Gratuities are optional but you can put it on your account
  • Try the beet & burrata salad - it's fabulous (though hubby likes the bone marrow appetizer)
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, cruisers5 said:

I will be Diamond on my next cruise (Divina - May/22) and will receive a Complimentary specialty restaurant “Tasting Menu” dinner per stateroom (no beverages).  Some questions I have....is it only the Butcher's Cut, or are there other restaurants I can pick from (Divina - 4 night sailing).  Do I get to pick what night I would like dinner?  I assume since it's "per stateroom" that will include my daughter (for free) who is Gold Voyagers Club.  Is there only a "set menu" (since it says "tasting menu" on the website under perks for Diamond Voyagers Club) - or can I pick from whatever they offer on their menu?  Do you need to leave a gratuity for the servers?  If so, can it be added to my on board account - or is it in cash?  Thank you for any insight you can provide.

@Morgsmom gave an excellent answer but I will add a few things

If you Google you can find the menus...you'll look for the section that says dining experience. For example, at butchers cut you can get chicken, lamb chops, filet or sirloin. However  if you want something else, eg ribeye, you get it for 50% off the menu price.

You can pick any specialty restaurant and each has a slightly different tweak on it's dining experience menu.

Any charges you incur will be on your account...no cash used.

At butchers cut you'll also get an appetizer OR soup and then a dessert. If you get a steak you will also get a side.

To add, we've done several of these and while a set menu, have always left stuffed which is not easy for me.  Food and service excellent.

If you get a steak they give you several sauces.  To start, you get a selection of warm bread and butter.

Our last Divinia was a 4 night in YC with Arthur and Kunal in restaurant and mentioned that they did not offer for lunch so what to do?  Of course being Arthur, he said we will grab steaks from there and make for you in Le Muse.  Also had option of food from sushi place.

One of the best was Seaside as the great Isiah was working the bar outside BC and he made great smoky drinks.  What a great meal.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dexddd said:

To add, we've done several of these and while a set menu, have always left stuffed which is not easy for me.  Food and service excellent.

If you get a steak they give you several sauces.  To start, you get a selection of warm bread and butter.

Our last Divinia was a 4 night in YC with Arthur and Kunal in restaurant and mentioned that they did not offer for lunch so what to do?  Of course being Arthur, he said we will grab steaks from there and make for you in Le Muse.  Also had option of food from sushi place.

One of the best was Seaside as the great Isiah was working the bar outside BC and he made great smoky drinks.  What a great meal.

My memory of the cocktail bar outside of the specialty restaurants on Seaside was the creativity and service excellence by both of the South African bartenders working there!  My favorite hangout for pre-dinner drinks.  Of course, it helped that where we were on deck 16 was closer to them than Top Sail.

19 hours ago, JAGR said:

My memory of the cocktail bar outside of the specialty restaurants on Seaside was the creativity and service excellence by both of the South African bartenders working there!  My favorite hangout for pre-dinner drinks.  Of course, it helped that where we were on deck 16 was closer to them than Top Sail.

You are correct.  That area is closer than one thinks but is often out of sight, out of mind. Even before virus it was not too busy and the great Isiah happy to see people.

18 minutes ago, paddy1112 said:

Hi

My wife and myself are both diamond.

Do we get 2 dinners for 2?

Long time ago (in a galaxy far far away) that used to be the deal but now it is per room not per diamond member.

On 4/26/2022 at 9:03 AM, alyssamma said:

For example, at butchers cut you can get chicken, lamb chops, filet or sirloin. However  if you want something else, eg ribeye, you get it for 50% off the menu price.

That need to pay extra for what I would prefer to order rather than anything that was offered on the restricted menu was the reason I did not use my "free" dinner offer.

18 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

That need to pay extra for what I would prefer to order rather than anything that was offered on the restricted menu was the reason I did not use my "free" dinner offer.

So...did you pay full price for it?

6 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I chose to continue to dine in the YC restaurant.  I did not use this "free" dinner.  

Not sure why you are putting free in quotes like it really isn't. It's completely free and it's a really good deal...lamb was some of the best I've had before, the sirloin was not the best but very good, the filet was excellent. All truly free.

Popular apps like bone marrow you can get. And of course the sides are amazing.

It's fine if you don't want it, I just don't want others to think that somehow it isn't free or isn't a good deal. We had a party of 7 and everyone was very happy 

We had a party of 6 last Oct on the Mera and again, everyone was happy. There we ordered off the main menu for some items...but it was half of what it would cost us normally and we were going to eat there anyway.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

Not sure why you are putting free in quotes like it really isn't. It's completely free and it's a really good deal...lamb was some of the best I've had before, the sirloin was not the best but very good, the filet was excellent. All truly free.

Popular apps like bone marrow you can get. And of course the sides are amazing.

It's fine if you don't want it, I just don't want others to think that somehow it isn't free or isn't a good deal. We had a party of 7 and everyone was very happy 

We had a party of 6 last Oct on the Mera and again, everyone was happy. There we ordered off the main menu for some items...but it was half of what it would cost us normally and we were going to eat there anyway.

So, you enjoyed the Free meal. However, you choose other things that you got for 50% off. Well you did save 50%. 

Wow, they did not give me EVERYTHING I wanted, so totally a rip off!?

As several have stated, the filet and lamb is very good and so are the appetizers.

Enjoy your Free specialty dinner! It is a great perk.

Cheers! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Oxo said:

So, you enjoyed the Free meal. However, you choose other things that you got for 50% off. Well you did save 50%. 

Not exactly. I spent ZERO on the Seashore. This is because it was FREE. On the Mera in Oct we were celebrating a couple's anniversary so basically ordered the entire menu. Getting 50% off was a great deal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, paddy1112 said:

Tought that this will be the case.

Cheers

It was 2 years ago but even though it was only two could dine per cabin, we talked to the guy that makes the reservation at the restaurant and he allowed everyone in my cabin to have a free meal.  He remembered me from another cruise when he was a pool attendant and I guess I chatted with him a lot that on the next cruise, with his promotion, he gave me two additonal free meals.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
32 minutes ago, GonzoWCS said:

Still looking for an answer to this one too!

Cheers

It's only one. Both husband and I are diamond. We couldn't do the freebie on his card and then go to another restaurant and do a freebie on my card. Its done per cabin and only once per cruise.

• Like 3

We only get ONE free Diamond meal per cruise.  We each ordered the best tasting filet mignons with the huge salad.

They gave us each a loaded Baked Potato and some asparagus to share.  The meal was amazing.  Had Cheese  Cake for dessert on cruise 1 and the choc lava cake on the b2b.

B2877928-1A5A-4083-AD48-0F03AE05296B.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Actually I think the free speciality restaurant was removed for diamond members, i don't see it in the perks list anymore...another MSC downgrade...just like aurea is worth nothing anymore (drink packages and free massage removed from the experience, but the price is still the same)

And be carefull with the easy drink package, now you are not allowed to drink coffees or canned juices or ice cream anymore. However if you downgrade to non-alcohol package, then you get those included in your package???strange rules at MSC