Ovation Questions

Hi all,

Some friends and I have booked a cruise on Ovation of the Seas for next February. We quickly jumped on when we saw a good price for a balcony stateroom. Upon doing further research of the ship it actually doesn't have as many restaurants/venues/amenities as I had presumed given its size. I have done a lot of research on the Oasis Class ships, and while I understand Ovation is a fair bit smaller, I thought given that its newer they would've tried to squeeze more innovations on. Given that I just have some questions;

- Is there a reason why there is limited dining restaurants compared to other Royal Ships? 

- Is there enough variety in the dining to not get bored across 8 nights? 

- Is there a chance additional activities (laser shooting, escape rooms, broadway shows) could be announced for this upcoming season? 

- Is there enough space on board to find places to sit/lounge/swim etc.? 

Sorry I don't mean to sound like a negative nelly, just feeling some pre-cruise anxiety and one of my friends is on the fence about the trip so would be good to hear your guys' feedback! 

Ta,

Nick 

I've not cruised on Ovation before, nor any other RCI ship. However I do have a tentative booking on Odyssey of the Seas, the newest Quantum class ship, and have looked into that one. Ok, it's not as packed with features as the Oasis class, but there still looks like there's tons of activities on those ships. I feel like it'll give us plenty to do on our 15 night transatlantic.

Just for perspective, it'll actually be the biggest ship we've sailed on. The next biggest will have been Majestic Princess (we sailed on her in 2018/19, and coming up in January), then a pair of Grand Class Princess ships - Star Princess and Diamond Princess. None of these ships have had anything near the number of activities and features as the RCI Quantum Class ships, and we've loved each one of them.

It'll be largely down to personal preference, but we've happily dined in the MDR for a majority of our days on board across our seven cruises. Usually we do 1-2 specialty restaurants each cruise (our last 2 have been 13/14 night cruises, and our next two will be 13/15 nights). They usually do mix it up each night and you're not likely to get an exact menu repeat over a shortish 8 night cruise.

Do you have previous cruise experience, or are you just basing your gutfeel on research on the biggest ships? Usually I'm too enthralled by the destination ports to really care too much that one ship has more ice skating rinks or dinosaur monster truck tracks than another.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CroNich said:

Hi all,

Some friends and I have booked a cruise on Ovation of the Seas for next February. We quickly jumped on when we saw a good price for a balcony stateroom. Upon doing further research of the ship it actually doesn't have as many restaurants/venues/amenities as I had presumed given its size. I have done a lot of research on the Oasis Class ships, and while I understand Ovation is a fair bit smaller, I thought given that its newer they would've tried to squeeze more innovations on. Given that I just have some questions;

- Is there a reason why there is limited dining restaurants compared to other Royal Ships? 

- Is there a chance additional activities (laser shooting, escape rooms, broadway shows) could be announced for this upcoming season? 

Sorry I don't mean to sound like a negative nelly, just feeling some pre-cruise anxiety and one of my friends is on the fence about the trip so would be good to hear your guys' feedback! 

Ta,

Nick 

Hi Nelly  there is some 15 + dining venues and your only doing 8 nights .

Are you 12 lazer shooting? No there will not be any additional activities. Seaplex has bumper cars for you. Go surfing, climb a wall or ifly 

Oasis is not coming to Australia till the infrastructure is in place . Leave your friend on the fence and tell him about it when you get back. By the way your 8 night cruise includes three port days maybe do some homework on them . There is production shows in the main theatre and one in 270 . 😇

https://www.royalcaribbeanincentives.com/ship/ovation-of-the-seas/dining/

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CroNich said:

Hi all,

Ta,

Nick 

I’ve been on Ovation 8 times and I haven’t seen all of the ship and dined at all of the venues.

I haven’t done the bummer cars,escape room,circus school,roller scatting, all the ship tours,all the hot tubs, drank at all the bars including the robots ,I haven’t been to the gym or the health and massage areas.

You won’t get lost for things to do.

Edited by Chiliburn
  • Like 2

We have been on the Ovation twice and loved it. Although it has lots of passengers it never felt crowded, we always found somewhere to just sit and relax up on the decks. Cabins are modern. Food was reasonable. We could not fit everything in to do in 8 days. We have got two cruises booked on the sister ship Quantum, one for 8 days the other 17 days. You will find mixed reviews where some people hate the Ovation and others love it. If you and your friends are going on the cruise to have a good time you will, it's what you make of it and your frame of mind.

The only negative I found was looking at it from the outside, massive big block of flats!!! just my thoughts, but once inside very nice. The Two 70 was one of my favorite spots.   I like a ship to look like a ship. Probably my age lol. Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

Have been on Ovation twice, loved it. There is more than enough choices to eat. Entertainment was great always something to do. We never felt it was overcrowded. If it wasn’t for Covid we would have cruised on her again. Can’t wait to get back on board. 

11 hours ago, CroNich said:

Hi all,

- Is there enough variety in the dining to not get bored across 8 nights? -

Typically on most cruise ships the menus in the main dining room change daily but other restaurants have fixed menus. Between them all there is more variety than you would need in an 8 night cruise.

12 hours ago, losfp said:

I've not cruised on Ovation before, nor any other RCI ship. However I do have a tentative booking on Odyssey of the Seas, the newest Quantum class ship, and have looked into that one. Ok, it's not as packed with features as the Oasis class, but there still looks like there's tons of activities on those ships. I feel like it'll give us plenty to do on our 15 night transatlantic.

Just for perspective, it'll actually be the biggest ship we've sailed on. The next biggest will have been Majestic Princess (we sailed on her in 2018/19, and coming up in January), then a pair of Grand Class Princess ships - Star Princess and Diamond Princess. None of these ships have had anything near the number of activities and features as the RCI Quantum Class ships, and we've loved each one of them.

It'll be largely down to personal preference, but we've happily dined in the MDR for a majority of our days on board across our seven cruises. Usually we do 1-2 specialty restaurants each cruise (our last 2 have been 13/14 night cruises, and our next two will be 13/15 nights). They usually do mix it up each night and you're not likely to get an exact menu repeat over a shortish 8 night cruise.

Do you have previous cruise experience, or are you just basing your gutfeel on research on the biggest ships? Usually I'm too enthralled by the destination ports to really care too much that one ship has more ice skating rinks or dinosaur monster truck tracks than another.

I went on Rhapsody of the Seas about 10 years ago when I was 16. That's my only previous experience.

Thank you all for the responses, I can see that there is really nothing to worry about and we're in store for a great holiday ❤️ 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Have only been on Ovation once and was travelling with a 7 year old so I was focussed on the activities for him and there were plenty. He did the rock climbing, iFly, bumper cars, arcade etc. We went up in the North Star a couple of times.

We did watch a show on two nights - I think one was a ice skating show - and I went to a comedy show when he was in Kids Club.

There were plenty of dining options and 8 days isn't long. I didn't get time to try the sushi place or Wonderland but I want to do that when we go to NZ on her next January. I've been to Chops on Explorer of the Seas but not Ovation yet. Jamie's Italian and the Solarium Bistro were the main places we went other than the MDR for main meals.  It's probably true that the snack/take-away type locations outnumber good full restaurant options on Ovation but I can't say I felt the lack. 

You'll love it.

2 hours ago, CroNich said:

I went on Rhapsody of the Seas about 10 years ago when I was 16. That's my only previous experience.

Thank you all for the responses, I can see that there is really nothing to worry about and we're in store for a great holiday ❤️ 

Breakfast 

7 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

.....the bummer cars.....

surely they were not that bad? 

I was planning to try them out next March, but seems maybe not such an attraction.

One question - is there a dartboard in the 'English' Pub on Ovation like there is on Radiance? I enjoyed the experience of throwing a few arrows while having a couple of quiet ales of an evening on Radiance.

Edited by mr walker
pressed reply button to soon

17 hours ago, CroNich said:

Is there enough variety in the dining to not get bored across 8 nights?

yes

no

yes

Answering some of your questions above, I have been on both classes and they are more similar than different. 

1 hour ago, mr walker said:

surely they were not that bad? 

I was planning to try them out next March, but seems maybe not such an attraction.

One question - is there a dartboard in the 'English' Pub on Ovation like there is on Radiance? I enjoyed the experience of throwing a few arrows while having a couple of quiet ales of an evening on Radiance.

Did I write Bummer,there’s iPads have a mind of there own.

The pub is another venue I haven’t spent any time, I believe There’s dart board . It’s only small but I’m told in the evening there’s a bloke with a guitar and he is good.

We sailed to Honolulu on Ovation 2 years ago. Beautiful ship, great bars, excellent food and great cabins. Staff were really good too. The ship was sparkling and didn't feel crowded at all, albeit larger than we'd sailed on before (this was our 8th cruise across Celebrity, RCC and Carnival (in the US). I would sail on her again in a heartbeat. Having said that we are in our 60s and wanted to relax. We enjoyed the entertainment which was really standard cruise-type. Didn't make it to the MDR as food elsewhere was so good!

I have cruised on the Ovation twice as well as the Spectrum, I don't think you will be bored with the food options available, or with the activities aboard.

As for quiet places to sit, I find the balcony of your cabin best for that.