Live from Alaska on Ms Zuiderdam - April 2022

Crew News

On 5/14/2022 at 3:18 PM, Crew News said:

Sadly, the Zuiderdam does not have any cookies that can come close to those on the Pinnacle-class ships' Grand Dutch Cafe.

The bread pudding available on request at the ice cream station is awesome.  Some raisins would make it even better.

The Taco bar is just a few feet from the Dive-in burger window next to the Indoor pool on Deck 9.

At lunch everyday and often at the Lido Market Late buffet (10:30 PM), I ask for an empty bowl at the Salad Bar and take it to the sandwich station for a fill up of either potato or nacho chips.  If you tell the servers at both stations that Roger sent you,  you will see a lot of smiles and never have to ask for a salad bowl again.  It will be held out to you as soon as they see you coming.

Love the chip/nacho tip!! Just thought of another question. Last Fall, I believe, cruisers were reporting that HAL was no longer carrying saltine (or other types) of crackers to have with cheese/soup, etc. This was supposedly because they were wrapped in "plastic". Have crackers returned? I hope so.

8 minutes ago, PSR said:

Love the chip/nacho tip!! Just thought of another question. Last Fall, I believe, cruisers were reporting that HAL was no longer carrying saltine (or other types) of crackers to have with cheese/soup, etc. This was supposedly because they were wrapped in "plastic". Have crackers returned? I hope so.

No hope for crackers.  No individually package crackers.  I brought a box of Triscuits and some water crackers to eat with my nightly cheese snacks.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Crew News said:

No hope for crackers.  No individually package crackers.  I brought a box of Triscuits and some water crackers to eat with my nightly cheese snacks.

Thanks for the quick response, but that's sad to hear. Cheese needs crackers...will plan to bring our own.🙁 Isn't a cracker wrapper made of cellophane? I didn't think that had plastic in it. Maybe I'm wrong.

P.S. I just noticed you mentioned "no individually package(d) crackers". Do they provide some unpackaged crackers with a cheese plate at dinner or elsewhere?

Edited by PSR

24 minutes ago, PSR said:

Thanks for the quick response, but that's sad to hear. Cheese needs crackers...will plan to bring our own.🙁 Isn't a cracker wrapper made of cellophane? I didn't think that had plastic in it. Maybe I'm wrong.

P.S. I just noticed you mentioned "no individually package(d) crackers". Do they provide some unpackaged crackers with a cheese plate at dinner or elsewhere?

I asked on the Nieuw Statendam, Nieuw Amsterdam, and Zuiderdam over the past 5 months and they could not be found.  Others may have found a bulk source onboard but I could not.

16 minutes ago, Crew News said:

I asked on the Nieuw Statendam, Nieuw Amsterdam, and Zuiderdam over the past 5 months and they could not be found.  Others may have found a bulk source onboard but I could not.

Bummer...if you can't find any crackers, nobody can!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Crew News said:

So so strange that they have potato chips yet no crackers! But thank you so much for letting us know that if we want them..... we need to bring them! 👍

Thanks for the chips tip! 
Another question, the movie theatre, are only documentaries showing? Or movies too? Do you have to make reservations? Can you do it on the app? What else can you reserve on the app? I got the tip about ordering food from Dive-in and I plan on making full use of that!

Thanks!

36 minutes ago, PetitBateau said:

Thanks for the chips tip! 
Another question, the movie theatre, are only documentaries showing? Or movies too? Do you have to make reservations? Can you do it on the app? What else can you reserve on the app? I got the tip about ordering food from Dive-in and I plan on making full use of that!

Thanks!

No reservations for the theater for either movies or live performances.  At reduced capacity, it will not be full.  Unfortunately, only documentaries are shown.  Your stateroom TV has free movies on demand.

The wait for burgers is only 10 minutes and in the meantime, you can have a few munchies from the Taco Bar (15 feet away from the ordering window of the Dive-In).

Here is a link to the daily activities:  Daily Activities

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, 57redbird said:

Roger - were you ever able to meet up with the Head Chef about the kind of fry oil that is used?  I know you talked to somebody in the Lido.  Thanks.

The head chef meeting did not happen. 

The Executive Chef in the PG said they used vegetable oil while the PG Head Chef told a nearby table that scallops were seared (????) in olive oil.  One of the chefs in the MDR told me that they used oil from a huge bottle marked "cooking oil".  The Maitre'd told me that if you told your waiter the night before, you could be assured that an appropriate cooking oil will be used for your food the next evening.

Since the PG food is cooked to order, specifying an acceptable oil should be easy. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Dunmore2 said:

Did you track down the Indian menus for MDR?

I tracked them down and was promised by the Food & Beverage Manager, Jonathan, for a number of days that an electronic copy would be emailed to me. I emailed again once I got home to ask about them but he never replied.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crew News said:

I tracked them down and was promised by the Food & Beverage Manager, Jonathan, for a number of days that an electronic copy would be emailed to me. I emailed again once I got home to ask about them but he never replied.

Thank you. 

On 5/1/2022 at 5:31 PM, Crew News said:

Just talked to Guest Services and those flying back to the US on Disembarkation Day will be tested onboard the day before we arrive in Vancouver.  They suggest you register for this test with the Front Desk before you receive a questionnaire later in the cruise.

For those flying back to the US on another day, testing will be done in the Pan Pacific Hotel after disembarkation.

A survey will be distributed near the end of each cruise to query passenger's testing needs for returning to the US.

Do you have to pay for this testing if you are flying home the same day?

28 minutes ago, birdie16 said:

Do you have to pay for this testing if you are flying home the same day?

HAL cancelled all of their onboard testing for those flying back to the USA right after I returned from this cruise.

38 minutes ago, Crew News said:

HAL cancelled all of their onboard testing for those flying back to the USA right after I returned from this cruise.

Bummer. Getting off the ship and to the airport is always so stressful. Hopefully they will do away with this testing requirement by August.

52 minutes ago, Crew News said:

I carry two test kits from Optum with me in case I cannot find a test location.  There is a test location in the Vancouver airport but I have not found it yet.

Most passengers would gladly pay for a test while onboard if HAL offered it.

14 minutes ago, Crew News said:

I carry two test kits from Optum with me in case I cannot find a test location.  There is a test location in the Vancouver airport but I have not found it yet.

I believe the test location is near the check-in area for the US airlines near the entrance to the Fairmont Hotel. Not sure of the name of the provider, though.

6 minutes ago, PSR said:

I believe the test location is near the check-in area for the US airlines near the entrance to the Fairmont Hotel. Not sure of the name of the provider, though.

My fingers are crossed that someone will post a photo of the storefront to make it easier to find and if walk-ins are possible.

13 hours ago, Crew News said:

This is the link to the testing facility in the airport. We are sailing in June and we've already booked our reservations for testing on our return.  https://covid-medical.ca/yvr-rapid-testing/

Sailing in November on the Zuiderdam in November on a Panama Canal 14-day sailing.  Does the Zuiderdam have freestyle machines?  Still trying to figure out if I should get the soda package or quench package.  Not big alcohol drinkers but I am fond of flavored seltzer.  🙂

Thanks!  🙂