Civitavecchia (port) // Rome by Train 2024: Your questions answered here!

euro cruiser

I just went through it without a problem.  When I clicked on the time from the results menu it had preselected super economy so I didn't do anything with that and simply clicked on continue.  It went right to the passenger page.

The class bit is up to you, but I really can't see the point.  It's a really short ride on a nice train with assigned seats in every class.

Edited by euro cruiser

11 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

Also note that you chose Civitavecchia Porto, which means they will add 6 euro onto each ticket for the bus to the port.  Just wanted to make sure you were aware of that.

Yay!! Got my tickets, Me&You, 2nd class.  Summary says I can't reserve seats.  Is it correct that the Frecciabianca doesn't oversell seats so we will have a seat just maybe not together?

15 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

Yes, all seats on the Frecce trains are seat assigned so they only sell as many tickets as they have seats.  Maybe you couldn't choose the seats due to the Me & You promotion?

It's funny, on all my train trips using Me&You promo from Venice to Florence, Florence to Rome and Rome to Civi, we have been assigned seats automatically. From Civi to Rome I could only book a Regional train so no seat assignments. I'm just glad to get it done.  Hopefully when we land at FCU, the train to Venice will have seats since I don't know how fast we will get through Customs.

Thx for your help!!

2 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

You know that you'll need a cellular or wifi connection in order to validate the regional train ticket purchased on line, right?

Yes, I have T Mobile and we were able to use our cell phones in Europe last summer with no issues. Since we are getting off the cruise and riding that regional train to Rome, we should be able to validate it that morning before getting off the ship which according to the ticket is before the scheduled departure of the train, correct?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, this is a bit complicated question, for our trip from the Vatican to the cruise terminal.

It's our last stop of the day and there's 3hr tours (incl museum/chapel/st.peters) starting at 2pm or  2:45pm with the former $20 more per person. The NCL ship leaves at 8. There's a train from the San Pietro station at 6:02, arriving at 7pm with a 20min walk to the port entrance.

Is this way too tight of a schedule for the 2:45 (which I booked but is refundable), to end the tour bit early and take a taxi to San Pietro?

Please advise, thanks.

33 minutes ago, agent00F said:

Ok, this is a bit complicated question, for our trip from the Vatican to the cruise terminal.

It's our last stop of the day and there's 3hr tours (incl museum/chapel/st.peters) starting at 2pm or  2:45pm with the former $20 more per person. The NCL ship leaves at 8. There's a train from the San Pietro station at 6:02, arriving at 7pm with a 20min walk to the port entrance.

Is this way too tight of a schedule for the 2:45 (which I booked but is refundable), to end the tour bit early and take a taxi to San Pietro?

Please advise, thanks.

Pay the additional $20 and take the earlier tour with the idea of taking an earlier train to Civi.

Edited by d9704011

8 hours ago, agent00F said:

First, do you know for sure what the latest time is that you can board your ship?  Just because it is to leave at 8, the last boarding could be much earlier for several reasons, including how late the dock worker's contract will allow them to be there.  Get a definitive answer on this before you nail down your plans.

Also keep in mind that trains heading to Civitavecchia at that hour will be very crowded, even completely full with workers heading home, by the time they get to the S. Pietro station.  Be prepared to push a bit to get on, and mentally prepare yourself for standing during much, if not all, of your trip.

Also, almost every tour of the Vatican museums ends at the Sistine Chapel, so if you're hoping to see it you'll need to stay for the full tour.  Further, due to crowds and distance the best case is 15 minutes from the Sistine Chapel to the exit, for most people it's more like 20 - 25 minutes.

And there is the bit about getting to St Peter's after the Sistine Chapel.  Back to the Museums' entrance and either taxi or walk?  Is the connecting door available? If the door is available, do you still have to go through security? Where is the luggage? Will there be taxis at the stand or would there be a wait?

Taking a three-hour tour in the morning is very doable.  Have the hotel hold the luggage and leave for Civi after lunch.  But that takes the place of whatever else was planned for the morning. 

Rome wasn't built in a day and it cannot be seen in a day either.

Edited by marazul

22 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

Also, almost every tour of the Vatican museums ends at the Sistine Chapel, so if you're hoping to see it you'll need to stay for the full tour.  Further, due to crowds and distance the best case is 15 minutes from the Sistine Chapel to the exit, for most people it's more like 20 - 25 minutes.

For the 3hr tours, it seems they do the museums, then chapel, then basilica. I was told they have special permission (skip line) into st.peter's, but leaving early means potentially missing that. So now it's between 2pm guided tour, or just 2-2:30 entry quick self-tour (likely missing out on basilica), or saving vatican for next time.

To clarify, this day is mid-cruise so we'll be going into Rome in the morning w/o luggage. We're trying to squeeze in coloseum midday and decided to go there first because it's more flexible on time since we can hang around the forum next door first before 11am timed entry (whereas if we schedule 10am vatican and get there late we might well miss out on entire tour).

Having never been there, the connection back to the ship seems confusing with many stages and different options (like 3 different ways to get to the ship even after getting off train). Cruise advises getting on at least 30m prior (7:30).

Yes I know it's a squeeze trying to see the city and vatican on the same day, I'm just scheduling the hours and seeing what works or not.  Thanks for all the advice.

Edited by agent00F
clarification

Just found out some unfortunate news: this Rome day for Oct 20 is apparently on the national strike day for italian rail etc. Some sources of info say 6-9am or pm trains still run, others refer to some schedule like https://www.trenitalia.com/content/dam/tcom/allegati/trenitalia_2014/informazioni/TABELLA_B_Treni_garantiti_DPLH.pdf which Civitavecchia trains are not on. Tickets are still sold on Trenitalia site.

Strike site: http://scioperi.mit.gov.it/mit2/public/scioperi

10/20 section: SCIOPERO GENERALE SETTORI PUBBLICI E PRIVATI     INTERA GIORNATA:AEREO: 00.01-24.00; FERROVIARIO: 21.00 DEL 19/10-21.00 DEL 20/10; TPL: 24 ORE VARIE MODALITA'; MARITTIMO: ISOLE MAGGIORI DA 1 ORA DA PARTENZE, ISOLE MINORI 00.01-24.00; AUTOSTRADE: 22.00 DEL 19/10-22.00 DEL 20/10

Does this mean I should be booking other transport like bus etc, or does the "private motorway" stuff mean all those means are cancelled too. Really getting the full italian experience here, haha.

Edited by agent00F
added links
  • Thanks 1

It does add another complication.  The evening trains will run to get commuters and students home from the city but they will be CROWDED.  The guaranteed times (le fasce di garanzia) are 5 PM - 8 PM.  Regional buses (Cotral) will likely also be on strike.

You might get on the roll call for your sailing to see if you can share the cost of a car service with others on your sailing, to be sure.

We just bought a 5 zone BIRG in Civitavecchia and are on our way to Rome on the 11:46 regional now. Does it make sense to get off at Roma San Pietro to see the Trevi Fountain then walk to the Colliseum? What else is a must see in Rome? What is a good place to get coffee and pizza? Is there an online trip planner for the subway?

Sorry I didn't see this until now, too late to be any help.  It's a long walk to Trevi from the S. Pietro station, nearly two miles.  On the other hand, if you're up for the walk you'd probably get there as fast or faster than staying on the train to Termini and getting the metro to Barberini, or staying on the train to Ostiense and getting the metro from there.

ATAC, the agency that runs the buses, metro and trams in Rome, does have a trip planner on their website here:  Viaggia con ATAC | ATAC S.p.A.- Azienda per la mobilità

I’m thinking none of this has to be so complicated.  One morning, we walked from the port to the train station (I think a shuttle brought us part of the way), got on the train, got off and walked to the Vatican, did our tour, walked back to the station, took the train back to the port, and walked back to the ship (no shuttle-it was crowded).  No train tickets purchased in advance. Yes Vatican tour tickets purchased in advance. First time to Italy. The only research was to determine which train station was closest to the Vatican. Maps on our phones got us to where we needed to be. 

On 9/30/2023 at 6:06 AM, lisaatric said:

I’m thinking none of this has to be so complicated.  One morning, we walked from the port to the train station (I think a shuttle brought us part of the way), got on the train, got off and walked to the Vatican, did our tour, walked back to the station, took the train back to the port, and walked back to the ship (no shuttle-it was crowded).  No train tickets purchased in advance. Yes Vatican tour tickets purchased in advance. First time to Italy. The only research was to determine which train station was closest to the Vatican. Maps on our phones got us to where we needed to be. 

Some of the complication for us is trying to reach both vatican and coloseum on one day. Walking from one to the other seems doable, but tricky with timed skip the line tickets.

Train strike also doesn't help, with one tour operator saying there might not be trains at all. Looking to get some refundable private bus tickets just in case.

2 hours ago, agent00F said:

Some of the complication for us is trying to reach both vatican and coloseum on one day. Walking from one to the other seems doable, but tricky with timed skip the line tickets.

Yes, the walk is doable, but between the Vatican and Colosseum you're already doing a lot of walking.  Instead of walking these two additional miles from the Vatican check out the bus or metro.