Civitavecchia (port) // Rome by Train 2024: Your questions answered here!

euro cruiser

Sorry if this was answered already , 

Took the train several time and its a very good option , but this will be our first time we are going to take the train for embarkation with our luggage .
Is there a place to put the luggage (mid suitcase) in the trains beside the small place above the seat ? I am thinking to take the IT train or the regional .  

7 minutes ago, traveler301 said:

Sorry if this was answered already , 

Took the train several time and its a very good option , but this will be our first time we are going to take the train for embarkation with our luggage .
Is there a place to put the luggage (mid suitcase) in the trains beside the small place above the seat ? I am thinking to take the IT train or the regional .  

There is no designated place on a regional train for luggage, it's every man/woman/child for themself.

euro cruiser... thank you so much!! I was hoping you would see my post 🙂  It doesn't sound that complicated but it still kind of scary..lol  Just a couple more questions if you don't mind.. If we miss the 9:16 Frecce direct train how soon can we catch the next one? also what do you suggest is the best way to handle touring Rome? we just want see the famous sites... do we take a taxi from the train station and work our way from stop to stop? any other info you think might be helpful would be appreciated...  thanks again

20 minutes ago, CaliSun15 said:

euro cruiser... thank you so much!! I was hoping you would see my post 🙂  It doesn't sound that complicated but it still kind of scary..lol  Just a couple more questions if you don't mind.. If we miss the 9:16 Frecce direct train how soon can we catch the next one? also what do you suggest is the best way to handle touring Rome? we just want see the famous sites... do we take a taxi from the train station and work our way from stop to stop? any other info you think might be helpful would be appreciated...  thanks again

Regarding tour in Rome , its really depends how hot it is outside and how long you want to walk , I can tell you that two month ago we took the train to Termini  from there we walked to the famous fountain passing by some churches , it took us 18 minutes walking , from there we went about 5 minutes to the Spanish stairs and to the Pantheon , its another 15  to 20 minutes to the Vatican city. other option will be to take the underground and walk from there (it will save you 15 minutes walking). You can always try to book a car for half day , but you will spend some time on traffic , also the car can not enter everywhere.  

euro cruiser...I think we can totally do the walking you mentioned, if it gets too hot we can take a taxi back to the train station. I have made a copy of your posts. I also was going to ask you what stop do we get off on in Rome but I think you mentioned it's Termini 🙂  One last question... sorry..

Where can I get a copy of the train schedule? Thanks again

There are very few IC trains between Civitavecchia and Rome, they are generally older train stock with not much room for luggage, but better than regionales.

You can see the train schedules here:  EN - Trenitalia

If you miss the 9:16 Frecce you might as well take a regional, as the next Frecce isn't for another two hours at 11:16.  If you arrive at 8 there's no excuse to miss the 9:16.

If you decide to purchase tickets in advance, buy directly from Trenitalia using the link above rather than through a middleman.  There are other sites set up to look official but they are not, and if everything works as it should it won't make a difference to you where you bought the tickets, but if something goes wrong you don't want everyone pointing fingers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you get together a list of what you want to see and do while in Rome, we can help you put together a plan to accomplish it.  It's not realistic to try and get to both the Vatican Museums and the Colosseum in one day, you really need to pick one or the other (or neither).

15 minutes ago, saltshell said:

Attempting to book a train from Termini Rome to Citivecchia in October (29). Trains appear to be sold out on multiple sites. Is this the norm? Any recommendations greatly appreciated. 

Probably a bit too early for bookings.

Purchase only from the supplier, Trenitalia:  EN - Trenitalia

There is no need to purchase a regionale ticket in advance, these trains cannot sell out.  There are no seat assignments.

If you're looking at a Frecce, you can save on those tickets by purchasing in advance.  But not this far in advance, wait until about three months before your travel date.

Hi, we are on the 916 direct train. We are on Symphony of the seas. From the port, can we easily catch a taxi to train station? What time would you recommend 830?

if this is not an option, how does the bus to train work? Does it leave every x minutes? Do you have to buy tickets in advance or you pay driver?

we will be there tomorrow 

Thanks!

13 minutes ago, alpineapa said:

Hi, we are on the 916 direct train. We are on Symphony of the seas. From the port, can we easily catch a taxi to train station? What time would you recommend 830?

if this is not an option, how does the bus to train work? Does it leave every x minutes? Do you have to buy tickets in advance or you pay driver?

we will be there tomorrow 

Thanks!

https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/shuttles

In case it's helpful for anyone else traveling from Rome to Civitavecchia, we ended up taking the Frecce train then walked down to the bus stop for the Green Line. It was a fairly easy walk; we had large duffel backpacks and were dragging two kids with us and didn't have any problems. Just went straight down the main road (Cesare Laurenti, I believe) and around the north side of the fort. 

image.thumb.png.8a128d5af5664820b2757de22fe8e06e.png

If you look on Google Maps, the bus stop is marked as "Royal Caribbean bus pickup" (it's the light blue location in the left-third of the image). It's not marked exactly, but if you get to that general area, you can't miss it. Unfortunately, I was just assuming we'd be in terminals 10-13, but our boat was actually docked in terminal 25, so we went to the terminal 10-13 stop, then jumped on another bus (they were queued up so we walked to the front one) and rode that one straight to Largo della Pace.  From there, we took the ship-specific bus that took us straight to the terminal. Air conditioned buses all the way; it was very easy and comfortable. 

4 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

If you know that you are on one of the super-sized ships, you can be assured that you will be at #25 because they are too big for the regular terminal area.

Yeah, we were on Enchantment of the Seas, which I didn't think was terribly large (there were several other ships in port, including a Disney one, which looked bigger). We got there early enough and the buses just do loops, so it wasn't a big deal, thankfully (again, the air conditioning on the buses was great). 

13 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

LOL, it's so rare to hear anyone comment positively about air conditioning in Europe!

I was fully expecting to be walking onto a hot bus completely sweaty from dragging around heavy bags for several km, but the walk was absolutely fine, and then the bus was quite pleasant. One of those nice surprises, for sure. 😊

1 hour ago, euro cruiser said:

If you know that you are on one of the super-sized ships, you can be assured that you will be at #25 because they are too big for the regular terminal area.

Actually I saw Oasis Class ships at the Amerigo Vespucci Cruise Terminal too.

steamboats

7 minutes ago, heartscontent said:

When you got off the train in Civitavecchia, did you need elevators to exit or did you have to carry your luggage up any stairs? 

We had large duffel bags that had backpack straps, so we just walked. I wasn't really paying much attention to even if there were stairs, to be honest, but I'm sure there are elevators/escalators if needed -- it was a pretty standard train station.