Civitavecchia (port) // Rome by Train 2024: Your questions answered here!

euro cruiser

5 hours ago, ElvisTheCat said:

Thanks for the info.

I was wondering about the ticket since we are scheduled to dock at 8 AM and I was a little concerned that with getting off the ship, finding the shuttle, etc. and getting to the station by 9:07.  If we miss the express we will probably just take one of the regular trains.

I prefer the express since the San Pietro station is where we want to go.   

All of the Regionale trains also stop at San Pietro. (And Ostiense, for that matter.)

19 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

All of the Regionale trains also stop at San Pietro. (And Ostiense, for that matter.)

Thanks much.  That's cool.  I should look at the schedules and maybe I could figure this out myself rather than bothering the board..  

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all! Been following this thread for a bit and getting a lot of info!

Tracking my ship Symphony of the Seas for the past couple of weeks it seems its been docking right at the Cruise Terminal near #12 and not at #25 as some people have said for the megaships so there may be some difference there.

Wanted to ask a quick question and get clarification. The ship will arrive at 0700 and whenever they let us off, I was going to take the 6 Euro direct bus from the terminal to the train station. I was hoping to take the 0758 train and was wondering if that was realistic or would the 0842 be more likely?

Thanks!

You should have no problem getting the earlier train as long as you get off as soon as you can.

If you do dock at #12 you might consider walking to the train station.  You might even get there faster than the bus because of the time it takes to load the bus, then drive to the northern exit of the port and then back south to the train station.

On foot from #12 it's about 2.3 km/1.4 miles to the train station.

29 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

You should have no problem getting the earlier train as long as you get off as soon as you can.

If you do dock at #12 you might consider walking to the train station.  You might even get there faster than the bus because of the time it takes to load the bus, then drive to the northern exit of the port and then back south to the train station.

On foot from #12 it's about 2.3 km/1.4 miles to the train station.

Oh interesting, I thought you weren't allowed to walk in the cruise port area but that's definitely a possibility. I'll have to ask the group how up to walking they feel. If we're one of the first ones to get off and they let us off the ship by like 0715/0720 that seems like we might be able to make that 0758 train. If not, 44 minutes doesn't seem too bad of a wait for the next train though I'm not sure how long the line will be at St Peter's Basilica

But thanks! We'll be looking at 0758 as a potential train we can take

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, jk928 said:

I am looking to take the intercity 510 train from Roma Termini to Civitavecchia Porto. I see they use assigned seats and wondering if there is plenty of storage for large suitcases?

We took the Frecce train a couple of weeks ago, assigned seats but not much luggage room, a lot of people had their cases next to their seats making it difficult to get to toilets etc.

15 hours ago, jk928 said:

I am looking to take the intercity 510 train from Roma Termini to Civitavecchia Porto. I see they use assigned seats and wondering if there is plenty of storage for large suitcases?

There is some luggage storage space, but not a lot.  It's first come, first served (and all self-service).  Note that if you select Civitavecchia Porto as your destination they will add 6 euros to the fare to cover a bus from the train station to the port.

Trenitalia has changed their advance purchase policy for regional train tickets as of September 30, 2023.  Regional tickets now require mandatory on-line check in on the day of travel.   I only discovered this after I purchased the tickets on their web site.  Since I do not plan on using my phone and paying international mobile rates, I have no way to validate the ticket on the day of travel on my cruise the first week of October.

I pre-purchased tickets online last year with no issues, both the regional train to Rome in the morning and Frecce express the same day back to Civitavecchia.  This worked out great.  Now I've wasted 9 Euros for two advance tickets when I could have just purchased them at the train station on the day of travel. 

Thanks for the heads up.  I had not heard about this.

Have you tried checking in for the trip now?  I took a quick look at the new regulations and they say this started as of August 5th.  They do say that once you check in you can't make any changes to the ticket, but since you don't intend to and were thinking you'd have to toss them out anyway, I'd try it before giving up on them entirely.

We had planned to take the train but since our Colloseum tour starts at 10:30am on Sunday 10/8 I don't think we're going to make it in time. We have to check in no later than 10:15 and since we're staying overnight we're going to have one piece of luggage to drop off I guess in a storage locker if we don't have time to get to the hotel first. So now I have to look at alternatives.

Okay, after further digging around I found that check-in can only be done starting at 00:00 on the day of travel.

La funzione di check-in è disponibile dalle 00:00 del giorno del viaggio e fino all’ora di partenza programmata del treno selezionato all’atto dell’acquisto: sul tasto è riportato il messaggio: «fai il Check-in e viaggia».

The quote above is from the FAQs at the bottom of the announcement page, under the heading "Come faccio il check-in per attivare il mio biglietto?".

Nuovo Biglietto Digitale Regionale - Trenitalia

I would ask at guest services on your ship and see if they will let you access your e-mail from their computer to activate the tickets.

Edited by euro cruiser

It goes on to say that you must be able to present your digital ticket, showing the green bar that shows it was activated, to the on board agent.  Is it possible to get a screen shot of this, or would wifi be necessary?  I'm not clear on that.

(This is also in the FAQs under the heading "cosa devo presentare al personale di bordo quando effettua controlleria")

2 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

Okay, after further digging around I found that check-in can only be done starting at 00:00 on the day of travel.

La funzione di check-in è disponibile dalle 00:00 del giorno del viaggio e fino all’ora di partenza programmata del treno selezionato all’atto dell’acquisto: sul tasto è riportato il messaggio: «fai il Check-in e viaggia».

The quote above is from the FAQs at the bottom of the announcement page, under the heading "Come faccio il check-in per attivare il mio biglietto?".

Nuovo Biglietto Digitale Regionale - Trenitalia

I would ask at guest services on your ship and see if they will let you access your e-mail from their computer to activate the tickets.

That’s correct. I couldn’t find much info on the actual Trenitala web site but found this article after a Google search when I noticed the button for Check In on the ticket email wasn’t active:

https://help.raileurope.co.uk/article/43563-italian-regional-train-mandatory-check-in

I've only found the announcement page with the FAQs, here:  Nuovo Biglietto Digitale Regionale - Trenitalia

Unfortunately, I don't see anywhere that deals with the possibility of no wi-fi access.

I would try the call center:  Our Call Centres - Trenitalia

Or maybe better the on-line form, which at least doesn't incur any charges (but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a response):  Trenitalia - Area Clienti - Richiesta Assistenza TCom

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Thanks 1

@euro cruiserMy flight changed so instead of customs / immigration in Munich it's now at FCO landing at 8am. Can I buy the train ticket after landing? I would need a printed ticket as I won't have wifi. And I'm just going to a hotel in Civitavecchia  -- not flying in embarkation day "just in case" . Been there, tried that, never again

Yes, you can buy your ticket at the airport train station, there are multi-language touch screen machines as well as a ticket office.

The FCO ticket office is open every day from 6:45 to 21:32 (9:32 PM, an oddly precise time).

Servizi in stazione Lazio - Trenitalia

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, euro cruiser said:

Yes, you can buy your ticket at the airport train station, there are multi-language touch screen machines as well as a ticket office.

The FCO ticket office is open every day from 6:45 to 21:32 (9:32 PM, an oddly precise time).

Servizi in stazione Lazio - Trenitalia

Thanks. Can I buy 1 pass for FCO -> Termini-> Civitavecchia or is it 1 pass for FCO -> Termini and another for Termini  -> Civitavecchia?

5 hours ago, Ombud said:

Thanks. Can I buy 1 pass for FCO -> Termini-> Civitavecchia or is it 1 pass for FCO -> Termini and another for Termini  -> Civitavecchia?

You simply purchase a ticket to Civitavecchia.  The change is not at Termini, generally the change will be at Roma Trastevere.  It would be a huge waste of time to go all the way to Termini only to turn around and come back out.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

I don't know what caused the error, but once you've selected a ticket price, go to the bottom right and click on "continue" to get to the next step in the payment process.

Clicking on Continue made the pop up appear.  Am I choosing the wrong ticket?  I want to book seats.  Thx!!

Edited by ninjacat123