RCCL canceled White Pass Railroad & Klondike Hwy in Skagway

D & S

The railroad announced a couple of weeks ago that they would not be running any excursions into Canada due to the Canadian regulations. I’m not sure why some of the cruise lines have been so long in canceling these excursions. 

Check with Chilkoot Tours Charters for a Yukon Bus Tour. You can also still book the train as a roundtrip to the summit and back. Many also rent a car and drive to the Yukon themselves. You might check to see if a van large enough to hold 10 is available.

• Like 1

fyi info everyone is having this problem whether they know it or not. Another traveler found this one. I can't recommend it since I have not been on it but it looks like a good substitute. Look into one with the same or similar name. Looks to stay in US, round trip on train and panning & dogs.  GOLD NUGGET, SLED DOGS & EXCLUSIVE SCENIC RAILWAY

Edited by SightCRR

2 hours ago, D & S said:

Just received an email that our RCCL white pass railroad excursion was canceled.  Anyone else having this problem.  There were 10 in our group.  Not, what to do in Skagway??  

Did RCCL cancel the ENTIRE WPYRR trips ?

-OR-

Just the combo rail bus trips to the Yukon interior Carcross Lake Bennett ?

I am sure the Summit round-trip trains are running - but with no conjunction with a bus tour !

If perchance RCCL really blew it you could still walk from the Ore - Broadway - Railroad docks

to the WPYRR Depot and catch a/the train there.

Something doesn't seem right here - re-double check ? 

I have been working with Chilkoot Tours Charters directly for about a month, they have been really good about keeping up with everything going on with the white pass rail trip etc. We were able to book the trip but then there has been some more changes coming in from the CA government just in the last week so they are offering 3 different tours, mostly bus but some awesome options to go with the bus tour into the same areas. Kudos for them for keeping up with the changes and making new things available!

We booked a bus tour that includes lunch and lots of stops(it was $110 pp) I feel like working with  them directly has been great a advantage, they are good about emailing right away with questions or information needed. I am looking forward to that outing! 

• Like 1

Dear Guest,

Due to operational challenges that would cause significant delays at the US/Canadian border, the White Pass Railway tour operator has advised they're temporarily suspending any train services into Canadian territory for the 2022 season. Unfortunately, this impacts several of the shore excursions operating out of Skagway, Alaska.

As a result, we've modified this tour so that guests will now take a roundtrip train that remains within the U.S. We know how much time and effort go into planning your vacation, and we're sorry for the inconvenience. If you would like to cancel your reservation for this excursion and receive a full refund, please visit Cruise Planner and select cancel. A full refund will then be issued to your original form of payment, which you should see within 14 business days.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation. We look forward to welcoming you onboard!

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International

It appears this excursion will be much shorter than the 4.25 hours as reserved.  There is

no mention in email regarding a "partial refund" for missing the Canadian portion. 

We leave in 27 days; there is very little left to reserve for this port, especially for a party of six.

7 minutes ago, D & S said:

Just received an email that our white pass railroad excursion was canceled.  Anyone else having this problem.  There were 10 in our group.  Now trying to figure out  what to do in Skagway??  

If it is a combination excursion with a bus or would be going to Fraser, it is no surprise since the WYPR decided to cancel all bus and train combinations several weeks ago, only to do the loop out of Skagway. It is the cruise lines that were unfortunately taking a lot of time to inform everybody.

Edited by Alphen

16 minutes ago, D & S said:

Just received an email that our white pass railroad excursion was canceled.  Anyone else having this problem.  There were 10 in our group.  Now trying to figure out  what to do in Skagway??  

Its been discussed several times here. Canada is not allowing the train to cross the border this year.

In respond to gdwest ... my email says the same in the first paragraph,  but---- second says "As a result, we've canceled your reservation for this excursion.  A "full refund" has been issued to your original form of payment.   No mention of modify reservation.  Not sure why some are different. 

Thank you for info on Chilkoot Tours, I will check it out. 

My WYPR up from Skagway is combined with return via bus tour(lunch, gold panning etc) booked through Princess with NO NOTIFICATION of cancelation. If it will still be the case for my July cruise it will  be big disappointment. We don't  really  want to see the same scenery going up and back. This especially since we also have the train on land from Denali to Whittier. I guess I'll call Princess on phone.

got the email yesterday, but the auto cancelation hasn't happened yet. so we canceled it on our own to speed up the refund. we plan to book the train round trip.. and because the excursion is now shorter, we're going to do the good girl walking tour too. trying to make the best of it 🙂

15 minutes ago, Willwils said:

My WYPR up from Skagway is combined with return via bus tour(lunch, gold panning etc) booked through Princess with NO NOTIFICATION of cancelation. If it will still be the case for my July cruise it will  be big disappointment. We don't  really  want to see the same scenery going up and back. This especially since we also have the train on land from Denali to Whittier. I guess I'll call Princess on phone.

The bus / train combo tours will not be operating (unless Canada changes it’s rules). Princess will likely tell you the tour is still going, but I would have other options lined up when the inevitable cancellation email arrives. 

https://wpyr.com/updates/

On 3/20/2022 at 5:00 PM, Barry H said:

Good news is that Canada no longer requires a negative covid test to enter the country. However, Princess still requires a negative test taken up to two days before the cruise if vaccinated or three days if vaccinated and boosted. We have already booked our test at a local Shoppers Drug Mart.

Yes, but I'm told I need a negative covid test to get on airplane to return to U.S. I guess that's  a U.S. thing not Canada.