Going to Canada

7 hours ago, HLR said:

I'm sailing on Royal on May 31st...when were they going to tell us abou this??? If I was not on cruisecritic I would have NEVER heard about this! 

Here's a a link from the Q&A section of royal's web site. 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-documents-do-i-need-to-board#transatlantic

On 5/8/2022 at 8:38 PM, HLR said:

I'm sailing on Royal on May 31st...when were they going to tell us abou this??? If I was not on cruisecritic I would have NEVER heard about this! 

Well as per all cruise lines "fine print" its up to the traveler to ensure they have the proper documentation in order for entering other countries.

On 5/9/2022 at 6:29 AM, DirtyDawg said:

Here's a a link from the Q&A section of royal's web site. 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-documents-do-i-need-to-board#transatlantic

Thanks for the link....but that says for cruises "Departing from Vancouver"....I am departing from New York with one stop in Halifax and back to New York. So that section is not applicable to my cruise.

If it said "Cruises leaving the USA and stopping in Canada" then I would have read it!

FOR ROUND-TRIP CRUISES DEPARTING FROM U.S. HOMEPORTS This sections says nothing about going to Canada....

Edited by HLR

10 hours ago, cruiseryyc said:

Well as per all cruise lines "fine print" its up to the traveler to ensure they have the proper documentation in order for entering other countries.

Tis true....but you'd think they'd mention it as it is covid related....and as we have heard there have been  delays in embarkation due to this required "app" that people don't have when they arrive at the port.

But I know Now!!!

On 5/8/2022 at 10:50 PM, njhorseman said:

It's on their website.

Since filling out the ArriveCan form shouldn't take very long my guess is you'll probably hear something from Royal Caribbean a week or two before your cruise.

It is there under "For Cruises Leaving Vancouver" , but I didn't read that because I am not. 

Edited by HLR

28 minutes ago, HLR said:

Can you point us to where it is on the website [aside from the section where it says "For Cruises Leaving Vancouver" which I am not. 

Yes, they need to put something for cruises departing from the East Coast of the US that call on Canada, but the citation provided by @DirtyDawg , which is also what I was referring to when I said it's on the website actually does have what you're looking for . I've highlighted the sentence in bold print although I'm sure you've already seen it and understand it..

While I understand your frustration with the less than stellar job that Royal Caribbean has done here...obviously it doesn't make sense to have that information only for Vancouver departures...why are you taking it out on @DirtyDawg and me? We're only trying to help.

Quite frankly, you posted this on the Canada (Alaska/Pacific Coastal) board, which is why we assumed you were talking about a Vancouver cruise. Until now you never said you were cruising from New York. (Actually you're not cruising from New York either...) If you had posted on the Canada/New England board or the East Coast Departures board no one would have assumed you were cruising from Vancouver, or for that matter Seattle too because as in the case of Vancouver departures Royal also provides the ArriveCan information for Seattle .

• ArriveCan App or Website: All travelers to Canada, or their legal guardians, must download the ArriveCAN app or complete the mandatory travel information via the ArriveCAN website prior to your entry into Canada. This applies whether you are departing on your cruise from Canada, ending your cruise in Canada, or visiting the country as a port of call. We are working with the Canadian government to make this process easier for guests arriving by cruise ship, and will ensure guests have guidance to complete this process smoothly onboard. Learn more about Canada travel requirements.
Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, HLR said:

Thanks for the link....but that says for cruises "Departing from Vancouver"....I am departing from New York with one stop in Halifax and back to New York. So that section is not applicable to my cruise.

If it said "Cruises leaving the USA and stopping in Canada" then I would have read it!

FOR ROUND-TRIP CRUISES DEPARTING FROM U.S. HOMEPORTS This sections says nothing about going to Canada....

My sincerest apologies.  I assumed you were departing from Vancouver since this is the Canada (Alaska/Pacific Coastal) Ports of Call section and 99% of the posts here are about Vancouver. You should have posted in the Canada/New England area and then I would have known where your cruise was stopping in Canada.

BTW, have a great stop in Halifax but if you were planning to take an Uber to visit Stanley Park it's going to cost you lots of these 💲💲💲 and you might not make it back to the ship on time.  😉

image.png.3455d7d795cc9f99d5eebdd665170a68.png

• Like 1

On 5/8/2022 at 10:38 PM, HLR said:

Only reason I heard of it was because John H from Carnival made a live about it explaining this to all their cruiser going to Canada before the season started.  Then I searched Royal and found it, but like other said I'm sure Royal will send an important notice a week before we sail. 

• 4 weeks later...

So I’m a little confused. We fly into Vancouver a couple days before we board our ship to Hawaii. I understand regarding completion of our arriveCAN within 72 hours of our US flight. (Looked at the very helpful link that was posted-pretty straightforward-thank you very much!)

However, I’m not understanding how to complete a second arriveCAN before boarding as it only asks how you are entering Canada- by plane, land, or marine. Since we are leaving Canada on a vessel how do we proceed? I assume you have to record ship, date of departure, Covid results, etc. Am I missing something? Thanks for any help.

Rita

1 hour ago, rg123 said:

So I’m a little confused. We fly into Vancouver a couple days before we board our ship to Hawaii. I understand regarding completion of our arriveCAN within 72 hours of our US flight. (Looked at the very helpful link that was posted-pretty straightforward-thank you very much!)

However, I’m not understanding how to complete a second arriveCAN before boarding as it only asks how you are entering Canada- by plane, land, or marine. Since we are leaving Canada on a vessel how do we proceed? I assume you have to record ship, date of departure, Covid results, etc. Am I missing something? Thanks for any help.

Rita

You do need to complete a  second one- choose the cruise option even if it says arriving in Canada. This version of ArriveCAN requires that you upload a copy of your CoVid test results, required for cruises but not for entering Canada. 

2 hours ago, 5waldos said:

You do need to complete a  second one- choose the cruise option even if it says arriving in Canada. This version of ArriveCAN requires that you upload a copy of your CoVid test results, required for cruises but not for entering Canada. 

You do not have to upload your covid test results, regardless of how you are entering Canada.  Rules changed in early May I believe.

As far as I know, you only have to fill out the ArriveCan info once - which would be when you are flying, not when you are boarding the ship.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, julig22 said:

You do not have to upload your covid test results, regardless of how you are entering Canada.  Rules changed in early May I believe.

As far as I know, you only have to fill out the ArriveCan info once - which would be when you are flying, not when you are boarding the ship.

I believe this is incorrect.  You do need to upload a new ArriveCan (including Covid test results) when boarding the ship.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, skybluewaters said:

I believe this is incorrect.  You do need to upload a new ArriveCan (including Covid test results) when boarding the ship.

You need to update your application.  You do not upload covid results because Canada does not require them.  ArriveCan is simply to let Canada know when you are visiting. 

I’m sorry, I’m still not clear on this. So since our cruise is leaving Vancouver and ending in Hawaii, we will not have to fill out a second form? I can’t find a place on the ArriveCAN which would fit this situation. It looks like it’s only if you arrive in Canada by cruise ship. Sorry to be so thick headed. 🤪

25 minutes ago, rg123 said:

I’m sorry, I’m still not clear on this. So since our cruise is leaving Vancouver and ending in Hawaii, we will not have to fill out a second form? I can’t find a place on the ArriveCAN which would fit this situation. It looks like it’s only if you arrive in Canada by cruise ship. Sorry to be so thick headed. 🤪

As far as I can tell (and I just now filled out the form myself for flying into Canada) you would choose the flight option since that is when/how you are arriving into Canada.  That would be good for Canada - and it's their requirement.

Your only issue as far as I can tell might be with the cruise-ship representative at check-in if for some reason they questioned the date.

1 hour ago, julig22 said:

You need to update your application.  You do not upload covid results because Canada does not require them.  ArriveCan is simply to let Canada know when you are visiting. 

Canada no longer requires documentation of a negative Covid test to enter the country. 

They do require documentation of a negative Covid test on ArriveCan for all passengers embarking on a cruise in Canada.

1 minute ago, skybluewaters said:

Canada no longer requires documentation of a negative Covid test to enter the country. 

They do require documentation of a negative Covid test on ArriveCan for all passengers embarking on a cruise in Canada.

Sorry but NO.  The cruise line might require a negative test and they may require passengers to have the results uploaded to their specific application, but ArriveCan is a Canadian requirement, not related to any cruiseline. And you do not upload test information into ArriveCan.

I actually cruised to Canada in May and there was no requirement to upload a negative test - only vaccination information.  And I had a very valid ArriveCan receipt when I boarded my ship - which you can only get if you complete your application.  The Canadian requirements changed late April I believe.

Thank you!  Yes, I will do the ArriveCAN before my flight (and upload vaccination info) and then upload Covid test results on the RCCL app for the cruise. There is no appropriate place on ArriveCAN to indicate you are leaving Canada on a cruise ship so I was stymied. Glad to know I don’t have to worry about that.

Thank you all for your responses and helping me out!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, julig22 said:

Sorry but NO.  The cruise line might require a negative test and they may require passengers to have the results uploaded to their specific application, but ArriveCan is a Canadian requirement, not related to any cruiseline. And you do not upload test information into ArriveCan.

I actually cruised to Canada in May and there was no requirement to upload a negative test - only vaccination information.  And I had a very valid ArriveCan receipt when I boarded my ship - which you can only get if you complete your application.  The Canadian requirements changed late April I believe.

This is from the ArriveCan website (updated 5/26/2022):

Before boarding your cruise ship: all travellers must submit their embarkation test information into ArriveCAN within 72 hours of boarding a cruise, including Canadians and those who just used ArriveCAN to enter Canada

Canada does not require a CoVid test before entering Canada. But IT DOES REQUIRE A TEST BEFORE BOARDING A CRUISE SHIP. This may ALSO be required by your cruiseline but it is the Canadian requirements that are critical. And Canada also requires that you complete a second ArriveCAN for the cruise- this is required even if you have just entered Canada to go to the ship. The cruise ship ArriveCAN requires that you upload your test results- and won't give you an approval without it.  There is no sense in fighting it- these are Canadian government regulations and you will be in Canada, or will be boarding a ship which will sail into Canada. It is not a complicated form to complete- and the second one will have a lot of the form filled out for you from your previous submission.

Edited by 5waldos

And as far as New York- Halifax- New York- same rules apply. You WILL need to complete the ArriveCAM, will need to be vaccinated,  and will need a CoVid test before boarding- even if you have no intentions of getting off the ship. 

21 minutes ago, 5waldos said:

Canada does not require a CoVid test before entering Canada. But IT DOES REQUIRE A TEST BEFORE BOARDING A CRUISE SHIP. This may ALSO be required by your cruiseline but it is the Canadian requirements that are critical. And Canada also requires that you complete a second ArriveCAN for the cruise- this is required even if you have just entered Canada to go to the ship. The cruise ship ArriveCAN requires that you upload your test results- and won't give you an approval without it.  There is no sense in fighting it- these are Canadian government regulations and you will be in Canada, or will be boarding a ship which will sail into Canada. It is not a complicated form to complete- and the second one will have a lot of the form filled out for you from your previous submission.

All I can say is that I boarded a ship in Seattle in May that went to Canada and there was no place to even enter test results when I entered my info. But the cruiseline does require a test, I have no clue if that's also a Canadian requirement, since the cruiseline requires it.  But it was not entered into ArriveCan, which is the point I am trying to make.  I had a valid ArriveCan receipt, no tests results uploaded.

You are correct that it's not exactly difficult to fill out the info, especially if you've done it before.

42 minutes ago, skybluewaters said:

This is from the ArriveCan website (updated 5/26/2022):

Before boarding your cruise ship: all travellers must submit their embarkation test information into ArriveCAN within 72 hours of boarding a cruise, including Canadians and those who just used ArriveCAN to enter Canada

Use ArriveCAN to submit:
Contact information and travel details
Vaccination information, pre-entry test results and travel history
As of April 1, 2022, fully vaccinated travellers will no longer be required to submit a pre-entry COVID-19 test result to enter Canada by land, air or water.
Starting April 25, 2022, partially and unvaccinated children aged 5-11 will no longer be required to complete a pre-entry COVID-19 test for entry to Canada, if they’re accompanied by a:
  • fully vaccinated parent
  • step-parent
  • guardian
  • or tutor
  • your vaccination information, and proof of vaccination
  • information about your pre-entry COVID-19 test results and confirmation that you understand the testing requirements
  • information about the countries you stayed in or visited in the 14 days prior to your arrival in Canada (don't include countries where you had a connection stop along the journey from one destination to another).

By water does not include cruise ships. Find the information on cruising. it has been quoted often. I’m really not interested in arguing. 

And the ArriveCAN was updated- I can just quote what they say. 

53 minutes ago, skybluewaters said: