Anyone been quarantined?

sallybrown2012

Glad you cancelled because being in fear of getting sick is not the way to spend your vacation.

We started cruising again in October. Worried that we would get sick and didn't. However, it was always in back of my mind while on board. After, coming home well, felt comfortable and went on a New Years cruise. Enjoyed it and came home well. Two weeks later Covid got me but  after a Dr's visit  , not from the cruise.

So we went on the beautiful Discovery Princess for two weeks in March-April. There were people on board we knew  who came down with Covid  and once people got home, also were reporting on Cruise Critic  they got sick. Well, my husband picked something up on that cruise, two days after we got home, he got very sick. Had so many of the symptoms of Covid but tested negative several times. he is just starting to feel better but he was very sick. On most cruises before Covid, there were always germs on board ships.Every time we cruised in the past, we would hear the "barking" coughs on board and we cruised without fear. Never stopped us  from cruising.Covid can be very mild or very serious. My granddaughter got it a couple of weeks ago and had what seemed like a cold for just two days. We all have to weigh our own risks and decide  what works for us.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

I thought I’d pop in here since some have been saying it’s my post (about being quarantined on the Ruby Princess) that is giving them pause. If that’s the case, then I’m glad I documented the realty of what quarantine on a ship with a lot of COVID cases is really like. 

Coincidentally, before I was aware of the direction of this post, my husband and I were talking over dinner last night about potential future cruise plans. We are a couple who used to (pre-covid) have tens of thousands of dollars on deposit with Princess all the time. We fully trusted them and our future cruise intentions. Now we have $2 on deposit, for a cruise from San Diego to Tokyo on the Diamond Princess next February. That’s our personal level of comfort with how much we’re willing to have on deposit with any cruise company right now. And our discussion last night ended with an agreement that there will have to be a heckuva lot of improvement over the current situation before we’re willing to cruise outside the country, or for that length of time, or do back to back cruises (we were going to add the next two Japan cruises to see the cherry blossoms). We have learned that successful and healthy cruising, even since the start up, does not guarantee anything and we are definitely not willing to take a chance. 

While I agree that we can’t live like this forever, the memory of what it took to get me home from the Ruby Princess and that cruise cost which we will never recoup is not something that is easily forgotten. It was a several thousand dollar gamble and we lost. And now, when we are looking at major purchases for the year, it’s hard to not remember what that money could have been used for. It was absolutely the right decision (I am STILL recovering), but it was an expensive one. For us, it’s not a risk we are willing to take again. 

You, of course, may rightly decide differently. 

I understand completely. I also understand that you never did get a positive Covid test. Who knows what would have happened had you stayed onboard. I don’t see how you lost. You made a personal decision, that was right for you, and your family. That’s a win!  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Linsifer said:

Reading that blog is what sealed the deal for me.  Canceled our 10 day cruise to Alaska—the same one Princess canceled last year.  I was fretting too much about the “what ifs” and possibly being stuck in a cabin on the 12th deck.  

I bet there 1,000’s of cruisers out there

that feel similar to what you are feeling.

Take care and stay safe.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Happiest when cruising said:

I understand completely. I also understand that you never did get a positive Covid test. Who knows what would have happened had you stayed onboard. I don’t see how you lost. You made a personal decision, that was right for you, and your family. That’s a win!  

Thank you. You sound just like my husband, who says the fact that we are both still here and able to enjoy life is a definite win. The rest is just noise. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Coral said:

I have no doubt that in the future you will have a wonderful cruise!

In the mean time, plan something that you can reach via car and that you will spend plenty of time outside. If you feel unsafe somewhere - you can re-arrange things - such as eat outside at a restaurant instead of inside.

Thank you, Coral!  We may even take a road trip up to the Pacific Northwest to visit a cousin’s new home.  My husband has been wanting to go on a road trip, anyway.  He’s taken two since COVID.  I stayed home with our old/sick animals who are sadly gone now.   As for eating out and going places, I’ve been out and about ever since we were done with lockdown.  I no longer wear a mask unless at the doctor.  I’m not worried on land.  I don’t think I would feel as comfortable on sea, though.  Again, that’s mostly because of the whole quarantine situation and some of Princess’ lack of response, judging from what I’ve read here.  
What I REALLY need to do is have a knee replacement.  I want to be able to walk on my NEXT cruise. ☺️

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Linsifer said:

Thank you, Coral!  We may even take a road trip up to the Pacific Northwest to visit a cousin’s new home.  My husband has been wanting to go on a road trip, anyway.  He’s taken two since COVID.  I stayed home with our old/sick animals who are sadly gone now.   As for eating out and going places, I’ve been out and about ever since we were done with lockdown.  I no longer wear a mask unless at the doctor.  I’m not worried on land.  I don’t think I would feel as comfortable on sea, though.  Again, that’s mostly because of the whole quarantine situation and some of Princess’ lack of response, judging from what I’ve read here.  
What I REALLY need to do is have a knee replacement.  I want to be able to walk on my NEXT cruise. ☺️

Happy to hear that you might take a road trip.  I still wear a mas while out in stores.  What I do is to look at our area positivity rate.  Right now our rate is  14.4%. Therefore I wear a mask.  We have not been going out at all to eat.  My DH has a sister (in her early 90's) who has a large family in and out of her house.  With the rate so high here,  we did not visit her .  Some members of the family , well did not like that we would not go.  But with so many people in and out of her house with no masks.  I did not feel safe.

Yesterday we got the awful phone call, she is in the hospital with covid.  Some one brought it into her home. (she does not got out).  

What I am saying is just be a careful as you feel good about doing.  Every one has different levels of how they feel safe.  If you can, check the positivity rate in your are and where you might drive too.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, geocruiser said:

Happy to hear that you might take a road trip.  I still wear a mas while out in stores.  What I do is to look at our area positivity rate.  Right now our rate is  14.4%. Therefore I wear a mask.  We have not been going out at all to eat.  My DH has a sister (in her early 90's) who has a large family in and out of her house.  With the rate so high here,  we did not visit her .  Some members of the family , well did not like that we would not go.  But with so many people in and out of her house with no masks.  I did not feel safe.

Yesterday we got the awful phone call, she is in the hospital with covid.  Some one brought it into her home. (she does not got out).  

What I am saying is just be a careful as you feel good about doing.  Every one has different levels of how they feel safe.  If you can, check the positivity rate in your are and where you might drive too.

I’m sorry to hear about your sister in law. I hope she is able to recover and you will get to go and see her when you are comfortable. 
That is good advice to watch the positivity rates, however…with no symptoms, you just never know when someone near you, or in your own family has it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When someone is in quarantine I know you are moved from your original location but do they lock you in? Is there security stationed nearby? I'm wondering how they keep all these folks in their cabins? 

Edited by Cessna140
added more

21 minutes ago, Cessna140 said:

When someone is in quarantine I know you are moved from your original location but do they lock you in? Is there security stationed nearby? I'm wondering how they keep all these folks in their cabins? 

I understand you no longer have a medallion, so you would not be able to get back in. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Cessna140 said:

You are not given a key card for the cabin.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Linsifer said:

Thank you, Coral!  We may even take a road trip up to the Pacific Northwest to visit a cousin’s new home.  My husband has been wanting to go on a road trip, anyway.  

That is such a beautiful area. I hope you go. 🙂

• Like 1