How early off in Amsterdam

1 hour ago, oakgrove girl said:

What is the earliest you can get off ship in Amsterdam.  Can I make a 10:00am flight .

I suggest you wait at least until your ship docks and they connect the gangway.  

😀

what time does your ship arrive??

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Haha 1

More importantly, like your other thread, where are you flying to? 

Like your other thread, I seriously doubt you can do a 10am flight, but without all the important info, asked both here and on your other thread, hard to give you solid advance.

Last time I got off a ship in Amsterdam, there was exactly two Immigration folks checking 2200 passports, and while they moved pretty fast, the line was still huge. And we had come from another EU country, but they were still doing a brief passport check.

No, impossible. Maybe, just maybe if you fly to another Schengen country, otherwise donot. The airport at the moment is a mess, far understaffed and long lines for checkin, security, passort control etc. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/28/2022 at 5:45 PM, oakgrove girl said:

What is the earliest you can get off ship in Amsterdam.  Can I make a 10:00am flight .

I wish.   The AA flight I want takes off at 10, even a 10:50.   My ship docks at 6:30, even if I knew I could self disembark immediately, would there be a taxi/uber/would there be rush hour traffic.  I know the airport isn't far.    too many unknowns.   Other airlines I'm not crazy about I'll have to wait until late afternoon.   ugh.   

On 4/28/2022 at 2:45 PM, oakgrove girl said:

No...You can't and shouldn't even try. Please read the recent experiences at AMS it could take hours to get through. 

3 hours ago, Trekker954 said:

I wish.   The AA flight I want takes off at 10, even a 10:50.   My ship docks at 6:30, even if I knew I could self disembark immediately, would there be a taxi/uber/would there be rush hour traffic.  I know the airport isn't far.    too many unknowns.   Other airlines I'm not crazy about I'll have to wait until late afternoon.   ugh.   

I'm glad I booked the 2:30pm DL flight...AMS is a mess and probably still will be for my August 7th flight back to the US.

15 hours ago, TX.Mameow&Papeow said:

I would say definitely No. We wanted a NS flight at 10:50am but knew it would be impossible so we are staying 1 night in a hotel and and taking that same flight the next day when we have better control of the time we arrive at the airport.

But right now we need a one day prior negative covid test, its my understanding the ship will test those flying home the day before we disembark.    decisions decisions.

21 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Notice the OP has not come back in almost a month now...

Thats okay.   I found this by doing a search before I was going to ask the same question, so I'm sure its helping many other than the OP.    I'm to the point I'm just trying to figure out the best option each way as I may purchase my tickets that way.   I'd really like a non stop from Orlando to AMS a few days early which doesn't seem to be.  I'm considering Lufthansa that goes MCO-FRA, then spend a day or two there, then the fast train into Amsterdam Central in 3 1/2 hours.   Returning, I just want to fly out of AMS.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Trekker954 said:

But right now we need a one day prior negative covid test, its my understanding the ship will test those flying home the day before we disembark.    decisions decisions.

I don't want to burst your bubble, but the ship has not been testing cruisers to fly home domestic or International for a few months. That will be your responsibility weather you  do it onboard with an accepted proctored test that you provide or at the airport or a testing site in the city you are flying from. Always have a plan "B" incase plan "A" doesn't work out. We did the Emed test from our hotel using our phone in Barcelona earlier this month with no real problems other than we got cutoff once.

9 hours ago, TX.Mameow&Papeow said:

I don't want to burst your bubble, but the ship has not been testing cruisers to fly home domestic or International for a few months. 

That would depend on the cruise line. Holland America DOES  (and has since resumption of cruising) test for international flights home, except in Canada. Why would they need to test for domestic flights?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

That would depend on the cruise line. Holland America DOES  (and has since resumption of cruising) test for international flights home, except in Canada. Why would they need to test for domestic flights?

Sorry , guess I didn't say that correctly. I was referring to Royal Caribbean but sorry, didn't say that. You would not need a test for domestic within the United States. We are leaving for our 18th cruise since the restart next Sunday and in the beginning Royal did test people to fly home to other countries as well as B2B or side to side cruises but rules are forever changing. At one time Canadians were upset because they had to find other testing. Can't speak for any other lines because we have only done Royal since the restart. We have cruised most of the others in the past but have actually never done Holland American. Maybe someday. 

14 minutes ago, TX.Mameow&Papeow said:

Sorry , guess I didn't say that correctly. I was referring to Royal Caribbean but sorry, didn't say that. You would not need a test for domestic within the United States. We are leaving for our 18th cruise since the restart next Sunday and in the beginning Royal did test people to fly home to other countries as well as B2B or side to side cruises but rules are forever changing. At one time Canadians were upset because they had to find other testing. Can't speak for any other lines because we have only done Royal since the restart. We have cruised most of the others in the past but have actually never done Holland American. Maybe someday. 

The poster you quoted made reference to the cruise line testing them for their flight home, so I would be inclined to think their cruise line is making testing available. But they never mentioned whether it be HAL or RCI, or any other.

On 5/20/2022 at 10:17 PM, Ashland said:

I'm glad I booked the 2:30pm DL flight...AMS is a mess and probably still will be for my August 7th flight back to the US.

Ditto. Yesterday was a mess again.. people hours in line, reports of people fainting, almost overrunning security checkpoints, airport police (military police) had to move in to avoid clashes.. Schiphol, and I hate to say it, is not up to par this summer. Be aware. And of course, if it changes for the better the Dutchies here will sure report. Untill that, count in a lot of extra time at AMS.

• Thanks 1

On 5/21/2022 at 11:21 PM, TX.Mameow&Papeow said:

I don't want to burst your bubble, but the ship has not been testing cruisers to fly home domestic or International for a few months. That will be your responsibility weather you  do it onboard with an accepted proctored test that you provide or at the airport or a testing site in the city you are flying from. Always have a plan "B" incase plan "A" doesn't work out. We did the Emed test from our hotel using our phone in Barcelona earlier this month with no real problems other than we got cutoff once.

We plan to do an Emed test from our Amsterdam hotel as well.  What happened when you got cut off?  Assuming you had to log in and get another proctor?  Was the test still valid or did you have to use another test kit?  Thanks for your reply.

I don't mind paying and I do know Royal was testing passengers flying home internationally from Florida on both my November and April cruise for free.      I was really hoping they would just at least have that option even if paying.  I can't imagine the stress that last day.   I will bring an emed test from Royal with me, but being at sea that last day, just concerned about how good the wifi signal will be.      I have purchased surf & stream.     

1 hour ago, Trekker954 said:

I don't mind paying and I do know Royal was testing passengers flying home internationally from Florida on both my November and April cruise for free.      I was really hoping they would just at least have that option even if paying.  I can't imagine the stress that last day.   I will bring an emed test from Royal with me, but being at sea that last day, just concerned about how good the wifi signal will be.      I have purchased surf & stream.     

They were not in Feb (flying back to AMS from MIA after Allure of the Seas), we counted in some extra time and rented a cabana for the day at a Miami SoBe hotel (with wifi). I would expect the surf & stream will do. We resorted to eMed too but because of the lack of any reasonable priced test sites in Miami. https://spoedtest.nl/en/ offers a 40 Euro/30 minute test and we used that on our outbound AMS-MIA flight, with a location near Amsterdam Centraal station (inside the Park Plaza Victoria hotel).

People stood in line at AMS security for six hours, the airport had to close down filter(s?) causing some riots. The atmosphere was described as grim. :classic_sad:

4 hours ago, quicklabs said:

We plan to do an Emed test from our Amsterdam hotel as well.  What happened when you got cut off?  Assuming you had to log in and get another proctor?  Was the test still valid or did you have to use another test kit?  Thanks for your reply.

When you start the test with a proctor they advise what to do when cut off. I believe you just log back on .

15 hours ago, FreestyleNovice said:

People stood in line at AMS security for six hours, the airport had to close down filter(s?) causing some riots. The atmosphere was described as grim. :classic_sad:

AMS has apparently implemented (aircraft) flow restrictions today because of staffing shortages. This seems likely to lead to delays if the aim is to spread the demand over a longer period of the day to alleviate problems at the peaks. Of course, one potential consequence of rolling delays is flight cancellations (because aircraft and crew would otherwise end up out of position). In addition, if more severe flow restrictions are needed, then they may well themselves require or cause cancellations.

4 hours ago, Globaliser said:

AMS has apparently implemented (aircraft) flow restrictions today ..

I think they closed down security filters due to shortage of staff, upsetting pax in line.

AMS (Schiphol) announced today that the problems will continue up to the start of summer. :classic_sad:

On 5/24/2022 at 9:01 AM, quicklabs said:

I did mine first with no problems. When my hubby did his, the lady said to turn the phone sideways . When he did that something happened to the camera and they could no longer see him. They switched him to another person who could not see him either. At this point the original lady had already had him open the box and checked his ID but we had not started the test. The third person said we would need to restart again. I guess they noted his account because when we finally got the final person who could see him, he allowed him to proceed with the same test kit. We had 2 extras just incase something went wrong but didn't have to use them. We went downstairs to the lobby computer to get a print out from our emailed results. The lady at the hotel desk had us forward the email to the hotel and she printed them off for us. That was our first time to use the Emed test so we were a little nervous, but it all worked out.