How long are refunds taking?

gerig

I cancelled a cruise 5 weeks ago and am dreading the phone call to Princess.  Just hoping that refunds are running late.  Has anybody recently cancelled and how long before a refund to a credit card was received?

5 minutes ago, gerig said:

I cancelled a cruise 5 weeks ago and am dreading the phone call to Princess.  Just hoping that refunds are running late.  Has anybody recently cancelled and how long before a refund to a credit card was received?

My refunds from late December were delivered mid March (and still awaiting one).

My TA did all the legwork of chasing things up for us. 

Normally, 4-8 weeks, currently, we were told 8-12 weeks ..

43 minutes ago, gerig said:

Princess has been playing some games with FCCs and cruises.  If you used FCCs they will be reinstated as FCCs - if you had multiple FCCs and cruises booked, I've noticed they have put some FCCs from a cancelled cruise automatically toward another booked cruise I have.  The accounting gets really messy and hard to follow when they do this.  Perhaps that's whats going on?

2 hours ago, cruisingrob21 said:

Princess has been playing some games with FCCs and cruises.  If you used FCCs they will be reinstated as FCCs - if you had multiple FCCs and cruises booked, I've noticed they have put some FCCs from a cancelled cruise automatically toward another booked cruise I have.  The accounting gets really messy and hard to follow when they do this.  Perhaps that's whats going on?

No FCC's were used.  This was purely credit card and I was within the time period to request a refund to my credit card.

2 hours ago, reedprincess said:

My refunds from late December were delivered mid March (and still awaiting one).

My TA did all the legwork of chasing things up for us. 

Normally, 4-8 weeks, currently, we were told 8-12 weeks ..

Thanks I will just give it more time.  

I cancelled this Tuesday and received port fees and taxes credit back to my credit card today, Thursday.

Ship sails Saturday.

I am expecting a medical note tomorrow and will then file a claim with Aon.

Will try to remember to update progress of claim.

Edited by brisalta
  • Thanks 1

I cancelled a cruise last month, with the intention of rebooking right away to a different sailing and my Big Box Customer Service rep said it could take up to 30 days... I got my remaining funds back to my credit card in 2 days. It varies so much; for all I know, they might have expedited mine knowing that I would rebook on the same phone call.

1 hour ago, brisalta said:

I cancelled this Tuesday and received port fees and taxes credit back to my credit card today, Thursday.

Ship sails Saturday.

I am expecting a medical note tomorrow and will then file a claim with Aon.

Will try to remember to update progress of claim.

Did these funds (taxes and port fees) come from Princess or AON?  My TA was told by Princess that my two sisters (cancelled) would receive some funds back to their credit card.  Been over 2 months and haven’t seen any credit.  

I went as a solo and that just complicated everything.  

As in everything that Princess does, there is no consistency.  It would really be nice if there was a standard that we all count count on … some timeline.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gerig said:

I would make that dreaded call.

There may be a glitch your call could get movement on.

Call around 6 AM Pacific time for the shortest wait on hold.

• Like 1

Lots of “depends”

Are you working with a TA?  Princess won’t tell you anything.

Did you have Princess insurance?  Then you need to file a claim with AON.

When you reach an AON representative (no long holds), they are very nice, but can only help you file a claim (same as online).

I asked about a partial refund expected from Princess (Princess initially told TA).  I was told my TA had to cancel.  She already had.  Then was told she has to contact Princess for assistance, long holds. Circles.

AON assigns an adjuster that will contact you with more needed documents and/or resolution.  HaHa…21 business days….not.

BTW, United has already refunded to credit card cancelled flights. Took my sister’s word that it was a Medical cancellation.  

I understand insurance companies really don’t want to give you back monies.  But that is why you carry trip insurance.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, gerig said:

We received our refund for part of our April 4th. trip back to our credit card six weeks after we cancelled. Still waiting for the insurance through Princess to refund the balance. We cancelled the first week in March when doctor said I wouldn't be able to fly for a few more months. Princess wouldn't let us rebook so now we wait and hope the insurance money is in by July to pay for the trip in Oct.

This is from a UK Government website but the TA’s still aren’t taking any notice here. I think it was brought in after the original Covid cancellation long waits. Note the second point 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/package-holiday-refunds-and-cancellations/information-about-package-holiday-refunds-and-cancellations

If your package holiday organiser cancels your holiday

If you book a package holiday that is cancelled, or significantly altered by the company due to coronavirus, below is some information on your rights:

• If package holiday organisers cancel your holiday you are entitled to a full refund within 14 days of the cancellation date
  • Your refund should be provided irrespective of whether the company you booked with has received funds from other companies involved in your trip, such as airlines
  • The option of a refund and the process of applying for it should be clearly communicated, easy to do and include clear instructions
  • You have the right to a cash refund. You don’t have to accept a Refund Credit Note, or rebook for another date.
  • Refund Credit Notes have certain financial protections that vouchers may not. If you are offered a Refund Credit Note check the terms and conditions to see if you are willing to accept it or would prefer a refund.
  • If you accept a Refund Credit Note you can exchange it for cash at any time

12 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Did these funds (taxes and port fees) come from Princess or AON?  My TA was told by Princess that my two sisters (cancelled) would receive some funds back to their credit card.  Been over 2 months and haven’t seen any credit.  Note that I had booked directly with Princess.com

I went as a solo and that just complicated everything.  

As in everything that Princess does, there is no consistency.  It would really be nice if there was a standard that we all count count on … some timeline.  

The funds (taxes and port fees) came from PRINCESS CRUISES PASSAGE and were sent to my credit card company. The email arrived the day after I cancelled the booking which was due to sail a few days later.

See attached screen shot of part of the email I received from credit card company.

image.png.9560c293791cfa9279811f784e5dcabb.png

Edited by brisalta

Our cruise was cancelled at the beginning of the pandemic so I understood the long wait time but after it had gotten to the point I was wondering if it would ever really happened I disputed the charges on my credit card and it was taken care of in a matter of days. I have never done this before and hope to never have to do it again.

6 hours ago, amajaa said:

This is from a UK Government website but the TA’s still aren’t taking any notice here. I think it was brought in after the original Covid cancellation long waits. Note the second point 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/package-holiday-refunds-and-cancellations/information-about-package-holiday-refunds-and-cancellations

If your package holiday organiser cancels your holiday

If you book a package holiday that is cancelled, or significantly altered by the company due to coronavirus, below is some information on your rights:

• If package holiday organisers cancel your holiday you are entitled to a full refund within 14 days of the cancellation date
  • Your refund should be provided irrespective of whether the company you booked with has received funds from other companies involved in your trip, such as airlines

I think this applies when the customer has paid the travel agent (package holiday organizer) directly and then the TA pays the supplying company.

In the USA, at least, when a TA asks for payment from a customer, the charge is directly made to Princess, not to the TA. Thus the TA is out of any refund loop as far as the funds ever passing through them on the way back to the customer.  The refunds go directly from Princess to the customer's credit card.