Seeking packing advice re: CPAP & carry-on bag

kaymoz

I want to travel with "just" a carry-on bag, but I must travel with a CPAP, so I'm seeking advice for "streamlining" my luggage process. 

For ease of moving from place to place, I'd like to be able to stash the CPAP inside my carryon suitcase (with the zipper expansion feature in play), and then remove it for the airplane part of my trip, since the expanded bag wouldn't conform with any airline's carryon size limits!  Plus, airlines don't "charge" for carrying a CPAP in addition to the carryon. 

This approach means repacking the bag some whenever the CPAP comes out of or goes back into the suitcase, typically in an airport. 

What strategies would facilitate this kind of rearranging and reordering of the interior space while on-the-go?

Edited by kaymoz
clarity

Seems to me that you are complicating rather than streamlining your packing if you have to open and rearrange your carryon multiple times for each leg of your trip.

But I also understand not wanting to hand carry 2 separate items. Could you not find a bag just big enough for your CPAP that has a sleeve or straps that could slip over your suitcase handles? Then you can quickly add or remove it without needing to open the suitcase. You see aircrew (and other savvy travellers) using this stacking method all the time.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, kaymoz said:

I want to travel with "just" a carry-on bag, but I must travel with a CPAP, so I'm seeking advice for "streamlining" my luggage process. 

For ease of moving from place to place, I'd like to be able to stash the CPAP inside my carryon suitcase (with the zipper expansion feature in play), and then remove it for the airplane part of my trip, since the expanded bag wouldn't conform with any airline's carryon size limits!  Plus, airlines don't "charge" for carrying a CPAP in addition to the carryon. 

This approach means repacking the bag some whenever the CPAP comes out of or goes back into the suitcase, typically in an airport. 

What strategies would facilitate this kind of rearranging and reordering of the interior space while on-the-go?

I always attach my CPAP bag to the handles of the suitcase until it is checked in. Then I carry it with me and store it up top in the aircraft. You don't want to loose it or have the airline forget your suitcase. You can also look at a backpack to put it in. 

• Like 3

I would use a backpack with a trolley sleeve that will slide down over the suitcase handle.  I travel carry-on only and that's my strategy, although I don't need a CPAP.  I don't check my bag, but I am happy to fly smaller planes where you can valet/gate check your bags as I have difficulty getting it into the upper compartment.  Short person of advanced age...EM

I always travel with a little 'plane bag' on top of everything else in my carryon.  It holds my e-reader, tissues, snack, lip balm ... all that stuff dear to a girl's heart.  Once through security, I find a horizontal surface and take the plane bag out to ride on my carryon.  For the CPAP, I'd follow all the good advice here and attach it to your carryon for walking through the airport.  I you're used to just a carryon, your biggest challenge will be remembering that you have two bags so you don't leave the CPAP sitting somewhere. 

If, for some reason, you cannot put it in a separate bag and attach it to your carryon, I'd use packing cubes for my 'stuff' in the carryon. 

If minimal packing is your ultimate goal have you considered getting a travel cpap machine? My husband has the ResMed Air Mini and the machine and mask all fit into a small bag - he uses a toiletries sized bag. You wouldn’t need to worry about removing it from your carry on at that point. 

1 hour ago, jsn55 said:

I always travel with a little 'plane bag' on top of everything else in my carryon.

If you can stand the sticker shock of Briggs-Riley luggage (worth it for lifetime repair guarantee and functionality), their small cabin bags (e.g., underseat size) have a neat mechanism that allows a snug stackable fit to the handle of their checked luggage. Just separate it when you check your main bag.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!  My CPAP came with its own travel bag that's quite durable, fine for planes, and I could rig up an attachment for it to the carryon, which is OK in limited situations.  But for the chaos of multi-modal surface travel I think it's better off inside the bag = safer for the device and easier for me to manage one bag.

2 hours ago, jsn55 said:

I'd use packing cubes for my 'stuff' in the carryon. 

Packing cubes may just be the solution to the in-and-out rearrangement.  Time for some experiments!

38 minutes ago, Storm Monkey said:

have you considered getting a travel cpap machine?

I bought a travel CPAP years ago.  It required a one night only disposable part for humidification which was expensive and hard to obtain.  I gave up on that machine.  Perhaps the technology has improved and I should re-investigate!

Edited by kaymoz
clarity

9 hours ago, kaymoz said:

I bought a travel CPAP years ago.  It required a one night only disposable part for humidification which was expensive and hard to obtain.  I gave up on that machine.  Perhaps the technology has improved and I should re-investigate!

his machine does have a disposable disc, however it lasts longer than one night. I believe it is 5-7 days once opened/put in machine? And they are easily obtained at the same place he got his machine. 
Definitely reinvestigate if you do a lot of travel and want to keep packing light! 
It’s also handy to be able to pack up the day before and not have to worry about packing the regular machine the morning of an early flight —- and then forgetting the machine and having to go back home for it when you are already mid-way to the airport. Not like that has happened here though 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Storm Monkey said:

not have to worry about packing the regular machine the morning of an early flight —- and then forgetting the machine and having to go back home for it when you are already mid-way to the airport.

Reminds me of the time we put the passports in the printer/copier at the last minute, to have an extra image just in case.... and  there they stayed until we remembered them while on the train, halfway to Luton or Stansted airport.  We made generous use of a taxi that day!

• Like 1

I've almost always just carried the two bags. If I place within one, I always prefer to do it with a large backpack, something I can unzip and retrieve from while standing/walking.  When I don't want to do is to have to place a rolling suitcase on the ground so I can open it up and fish out my CPAP bag.

• Like 2

On 4/28/2022 at 10:54 PM, kaymoz said:

For this same reason I decided to get a travel CPAP this year.  The one i got is SO SMALL! Lol.  The mask and hose is bigger than the machine!  I don't need distilled water with this one and the humidifier filter lasts for 7 nights before changing.  I can't wait to bring this one on my next trip and not have to lug a large machine in my carry-on.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2022 at 12:08 PM, Storm Monkey said:

My husband has the ResMed Air Mini

Reviews say this is very noisy (either the device or the air tube) --- sounds like your husband likes it, so could you please comment on the noise?  Thanks!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Katnisslove said:

For this same reason I decided to get a travel CPAP this year.  The one i got is SO SMALL! Lol.  The mask and hose is bigger than the machine!  I don't need distilled water with this one and the humidifier filter lasts for 7 nights before changing.  I can't wait to bring this one on my next trip and not have to lug a large machine in my carry-on.

Do you mind telling us the brand/model, and whether you have noise issues with it?   Thanks!

• Like 1

On 4/29/2022 at 8:06 PM, kaymoz said:

Reminds me of the time we put the passports in the printer/copier at the last minute, to have an extra image just in case.... and  there they stayed until we remembered them while on the train, halfway to Luton or Stansted airport.  We made generous use of a taxi that day!

OMG, my worst nightmare!  So fortunate that you realized the problem before you tried to check in!  I keep our passports and driver license copies on my laptop and also have printed copies in my travel closet so they always make their way into my carryon ... hope to avoid a disaster one day.  But boarding a plane would not happen without the little devils in your hand ... it just makes me feel better.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2022 at 4:40 PM, Turtles06 said:

Do you mind telling us the brand/model, and whether you have noise issues with it?   Thanks!

I got the Z2 CPAP Machine and the Fisher & Paykel Evora Nasal Mask.  They are both so quiet!!! And I bought them specifically because the information and reviews mentioned how quiet they were.  My big CPAP is quiet too but my mask was not and I would blow air at my other half if I rolled over toward him at night.  The way this mask is made the air vents are out the side so I don't blow him away anymore. Lol 🙂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/30/2022 at 4:39 PM, Turtles06 said:

Reviews say this is very noisy (either the device or the air tube) --- sounds like your husband likes it, so could you please comment on the noise?  Thanks!

Just used it a few weeks ago for a couple nights at a hotel and I didn’t notice any noise coming from it. Even when he was full on asleep.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2022 at 3:42 PM, Katnisslove said:

I got the Z2 CPAP Machine and the Fisher & Paykel Evora Nasal Mask.  They are both so quiet!!! And I bought them specifically because the information and reviews mentioned how quiet they were.  My big CPAP is quiet too but my mask was not and I would blow air at my other half if I rolled over toward him at night.  The way this mask is made the air vents are out the side so I don't blow him away anymore. Lol 🙂

Another vote for the Z2, my family member just got one and is very pleased.  Got a bunch of the humidifier discs on Amazon for a reasonable price as well (10 for $30 usd, if I recall correctly.)  Another benefit is that you can use your existing hose/mask with it.  It's so tiny, with the carrying case he got it's only a few inches.  So won't be too much room in your carry-on, kaymoz; if at some point you decide to try it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/30/2022 at 3:39 PM, Turtles06 said:

I bought one a couple of years ago to travel to Europe then do a TA cruise. It is up for sale now, noisy, and you  need a expensive lithium battery if you are using on a plane or don't have adaptable plugs. 

I went back to my larger one, and actually the bags are not much different in size. 

• 1 year later...