Beverage Package (ineligible due to age)

FPP777

5 hours ago, SWACruising said:

Sadly everything in their system is based on current age, not age at sailing. We booked the UDP for our last sailing and my son was 12 when we booked it but 13 at sailing. We were charged the kid rate for him and when I tried to explain the situation on the phone, they did not understand. Not saying you can't get it done before her birthday but good luck. If you booked with a TA, maybe have them discuss it.

Nope.  It's a glitch.

I was able to purchase the beverage package for  my daughter who is currently 20 for an upcoming cruise where she is 21. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

In one of the posts they said the CSR bots reading the prompts on their computer told they them the same thing as the planner. 

They may actually have to get through to the cruise planner people and not general reservations.

Not sure why they have this issue with some sailings.  I booked it just fine online for my daughter. 

3 hours ago, FPP777 said:

Until I know what the final price is going to be, how can I determine if it’s a waste of money. What if I get it for 18 dollars? 🤷🏻‍♂️

If you get the DBP for $18/day - BUY IT!  That would be a steal!  Most ships now are $70 and more per person per day.

36 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Confused, if you have access to the beverage package in the planner you know exactly what it costs, no? 

I’m over a year from the cruise, what’s in the planner now may not be the final price. 

Just now, FPP777 said:

I’m over a year from the cruise, what’s in the planner now may not be the final price. 

That is the final price if you buy it today. The general guidance is to buy it and then watch for price drops - don’t try to time the purchase if you know for sure you will buy it. 

20 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

They may actually have to get through to the cruise planner people and not general reservations.

Not sure why they have this issue with some sailings.  I booked it just fine online for my daughter. 

Ken, I did call one of the planner people but I will call back. Thanks for sharing your experience. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rudeney said:

If you get the DBP for $18/day - BUY IT!  That would be a steal!  Most ships now are $70 and more per person per day.

There was a glitch several years ago where some people got the DBP for 18 dollars. My joking reference to that. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

That is the final price if you buy it today. The general guidance is to buy it and then watch for price drops - don’t try to time the purchase if you know for sure you will buy it. 

Once I get this resolved, I will buy it. I know how to play the cancel and rebook game with it. I check the price every day. 

6 hours ago, SWACruising said:

Sadly everything in their system is based on current age, not age at sailing. We booked the UDP for our last sailing and my son was 12 when we booked it but 13 at sailing. We were charged the kid rate for him and when I tried to explain the situation on the phone, they did not understand. Not saying you can't get it done before her birthday but good luck. If you booked with a TA, maybe have them discuss it.

Is this the same as excursions? I booked excursions for a 2 and 3 year old which were free, but they'll be 3 and 4 at time of the cruise. 

5 minutes ago, EntropyGuardian said:

Is this the same as excursions? I booked excursions for a 2 and 3 year old which were free, but they'll be 3 and 4 at time of the cruise. 

It probably is. I had no luck changing it with them pre cruise so I stopped trying. My son ordered from the adult menu and it was never questioned.

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Nope.  It's a glitch.

I was able to purchase the beverage package for  my daughter who is currently 20 for an upcoming cruise where she is 21. 

Same. My son turns 21 in June and I’m already able to buy bev package for our cruise next year

Edited by allie3490

6 hours ago, FPP777 said:
6 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Modify her birthdate to now, buy the package and then fix the birthdate.

I’ll consider this as an option. 

If you mess with her birth date it will come back to haunt you (her) at check-in.  She will be flagged for having a birth date that does not match her passport or birth certificate and DL.   I don't have to tell you what the worst case scenario would be.

2 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

If you mess with her birth date it will come back to haunt you (her) at check-in. 

As you can see from my post, my advice was to fix the birthdate well before check in - that may be needed just to temporarily get around the RCI IT system. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

If you mess with her birth date it will come back to haunt you (her) at check-in.  She will be flagged for having a birth date that does not match her passport or birth certificate and DL.   I don't have to tell you what the worst case scenario would be.

I would certainly change it back. 

4 hours ago, topnole said:

You think most 21 year olds are new drinkers?   I seriously doubt that is the case on average.  I’m also pretty sure the average 21 year old is in a category of most likely to get their money’s worth.  

Took my 18yo son on a cruise out of San Juan after his first semester of college.

Puerto Rico has an 18yo drinking age, lots of people were disappointed with the 21yo on-board limit.

Post-cruise, we took the Bacardi tour/mixology class where we were given supplies and instructions to make 3 different rum drinks.  I have to tell you, my son is a very quick learner!!!  He was able to mix all drinks with accuracy and style, almost as if he actually made them in the past.  As a 18yo college student, he never saw them before, right???  What a smart kid!!!!

Although I will take points away from him; when we docked at St Thomas, there was a Senior Frogs right at the end of the pier.  Wife and I took a ferry to St Johns while he stayed on board.  I expected to see him in Frogs upon our return but, no, he never left the ship!  I can tell you, if our roles were reversed, I'd be down the gangplank as soon as I saw my parents leave the pier.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, SWACruising said:

It probably is. I had no luck changing it with them pre cruise so I stopped trying. My son ordered from the adult menu and it was never questioned.

It wouldn’t be. My granddaughter first ordered from the adult menu when she was 6. First time she ate shrimp and calamari. Loves both of them. 

10 minutes ago, LadyBeBop said:

It wouldn’t be. My granddaughter first ordered from the adult menu when she was 6. First time she ate shrimp and calamari. Loves both of them. 

This was with the UDP in the specialty restaurants. Not sure if they follow the rules there but it states kids must order from the kids menu.