Vancouver International Airport urges travelers to arrive early for flights » 2 hours domestic and 3 hours US/International

xlxo

https://www.yvr.ca/en/media/news-releases/2022/passenger-screening

Travellers flying from Vancouver International Airport (YVR) are strongly encouraged to arrive at the airport early for their flight in order to clear security screening. For domestic travel, YVR recommends passengers arrive at least two hours ahead of their scheduled flight, and at least three hours ahead for U.S. and international destinations.

experiencing ongoing staffing shortages, which is contributing to long lines and lengthy delays in processing passengers through security screening at YVR. It is unclear when this situation will improve

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/security-yvr-delays-1.6436560

she arrived 90 minutes before her scheduled flight to Saskatoon earlier this week, only to miss it by minutes because of a long delay at the passenger security screening gate

missed my 9:05 a.m. flight by probably two minutes because of these extraordinarily and unnecessarily long security lineups

the long lineup stretched the entire length of the airport

• Thanks 1

After the mess from last year, I though that taking a cruise into or out of Vancouver might not be a good idea, so we went with Seattle instead.  So far it looks like a good decision.  Of course we have done both several times before, so we are not missing much locally either way.

Before the pandemic we always cruised and flew out of Vancouver.  Even then, we made sure to be at the airport at least 3 hours ahead of our scheduled departure.  Lines were long at every check point -- very busy airport.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Glaciers said:

I  think getting  to the airport will be further delayed by the covid testing that will be done at the pier after disembarking. Can't imagine that's going to be a fast process.

Agree.  We altered our Vancouver-Vancouver plans this year.  Still going on the cruise but taking the Princess Shuttle out of Seattle and back.  Not the most ideal situation but think it will be less hassle at the border and at the airport. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

Not the most ideal situation but think it will be less hassle at the border and at the airport. 

Yes!

We had wanted to take the train and even considered the bus but decided to drive and park at the airport.  Anything other than flying. I continue to see posts where people had no idea of the covid restrictions and requirements.  There are so many more people that don’t visit these travel sites and are only depending on the cruise line or TA.  Both dropped the ball on getting info out in a timely manner.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Glaciers said:

Yes!

We had wanted to take the train and even considered the bus but decided to drive and park at the airport.  Anything other than flying. I continue to see posts where people had no idea of the covid restrictions and requirements.  There are so many more people that don’t visit these travel sites and are only depending on the cruise line or TA.  Both dropped the ball on getting info out in a timely manner.

Wish we could drive.  We lived in Renton, WA many years ago but now live in Northern California so it would be a bit of a drive for us.  Agree with you about lack of communication.  Hopefully, next year's cruising season will be a lot smoother to accomplish.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Glaciers said:

will be further delayed by the covid testing that will be done at the pier after disembarking

Covid requirements change week by week.

• When I debarked on Saturday in Vancouver, there was no Covid testing.  Super easy for a local, however I assume those that needed a flight afterwards were looking for a test.
  • When passengers debarked in Seattle on Friday... some Koningsdam passengers were tested in the main dining room upper level.

Not sure if those who cruised the Hawaiian segment got tested more than those on the ship for shorter days.

Our cruise disembarks on Sunday morning in Vancouver, and we have a 7 AM flight on Monday morning. Do we need to be at YVR at 4:00? If so, is anything open then? It looks like none of the lounges are.

We're flying United First Class, is there a priority security line for this? I haven't flown Internationally since 12/2019, so I'm drawing a blank on international departures. We have TSA Precheck, Global Entry, and CLEAR, so I haven't had to think about it since we've only traveled domestically.

3 hours ago, bartexas said:

Our cruise disembarks on Sunday morning in Vancouver, and we have a 7 AM flight on Monday morning. Do we need to be at YVR at 4:00? If so, is anything open then? It looks like none of the lounges are.

We're flying United First Class, is there a priority security line for this? I haven't flown Internationally since 12/2019, so I'm drawing a blank on international departures. We have TSA Precheck, Global Entry, and CLEAR, so I haven't had to think about it since we've only traveled domestically.

I don't think it works as you expect - TSA Pre-check Clear (First class generally includes all that)

At Vancouver it is a two step check-in after the United Airlines ticket counter -

One is the US Customs Border Pre-Clearance Entry

and the other the actual TSA security check point -

I don't recall any special lines except for the US Border Global Entry flash your Passport

thru a scanning machine and if green lighted pass otherwise it is in line with the non-GE

folks for a visual personal clearance by US Border officer.

When it is suggested 3 hours before your flight - get serious about this - with three ships

disembarking at Canada Place and Priority Concierge Assist getting to the taxi stand -

not only is the ground traffic snafu - (no high speed expressways to the airport) 

the traffic at the airport is jammed - and then the ticket counter check-in -

then off to the TSA and US Border check-ins - with luck you may have time to grab

a snack beverage in time to hear your flight being called for boarding.

First Class and all the pre-clearance stuff does help - look for any airline agents to acknowledge

and help you thru the process.

On the safe side you get off your ship at 7am - don't schedule your flight until after 11am - - - - -  

• Thanks 1

On 5/2/2022 at 8:10 AM, Italy52 said:

Agree.  We altered our Vancouver-Vancouver plans this year.  Still going on the cruise but taking the Princess Shuttle out of Seattle and back.  Not the most ideal situation but think it will be less hassle at the border and at the airport. 

Hi @Italy52 - What is the princess shuttle out of Seattle?  We are suppose to fly out of Vancouver after our cruise and are now thinking that may not be the best idea.  Is there a shuttle to the Seattle airport?

2 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

I don't think it works as you expect - TSA Pre-check Clear (First class generally includes all that)

Maybe clear but Precheck requires security clearing to get approved same with global entry. You don't just get it. 

32 minutes ago, CarlieInSF said:

Hi @Italy52 - What is the princess shuttle out of Seattle?  We are suppose to fly out of Vancouver after our cruise and are now thinking that may not be the best idea.  Is there a shuttle to the Seattle airport?

We found out that Princess offered a shuttle/transfer service (bus) from the Seattle Airport to the Vancouver Pier (Canada Place) and the Vancouver Pier to the Seattle Airport.  We had our travel agent make the arrangements directly with Princess as this was not something we could book ourselves.

17 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

We found out that Princess offered a shuttle/transfer service (bus) from the Seattle Airport to the Vancouver Pier (Canada Place) and the Vancouver Pier to the Seattle Airport.  We had our travel agent make the arrangements directly with Princess as this was not something we could book ourselves.

Thank you so much!  Will be looking into this asap.  We booked the Quick Shuttle as a back-up but would def prefer Princess.  

6 hours ago, bartexas said:

Global Entry gets you into the short Security lines - which are nothing to do with TSA as they have zero jurisdiction up here, CATSA run all security by Canadian rules (more lenient on stuff like shoes, but pretty much the same deal in terms of liquids etc., we just use Metric measurements so there are 'rounding error' differences in how big a bottle or bag you can take carry-on...). BUT - take your physical card, as the folks guarding entry to the short line do not scan passports, they can only do a visual inspection to see that you have NEXUS/GE!

4am is pointlessly early for a US flight under ANY circumstances - US CBP preclearance agents officially start work at 4:30am and actually start more like 4:40/4:45am in terms of actually processing people. You will easily beat all the cruise pax who are doing a same-day disembark even if Monday is a 4 ship day - none of them roll in until nearer 9am when you'll have taken off already!

Given many reports (including some from actual airport staff) on local Reddit threads, 3 hours early at peak times is absolutely a sensible idea - but flights as early as yours are basically just like in TheBeforeTimes with one extra very short step of 'can I see your covid tests results?' Personally I would still be taking the first SkyTrain for a flight that early - which arrives about 5:15am. Even if you need to check bags you have plenty of time to do so, and the huge lineup that always seems to build between 3am until about 30mins after CBP actually open has disappeared.

With GE to expedite security - which is the ONLY real problem right now due to staffing issues - provided you have your Covid tests done elsewhere rather than also having to queue for those at YVR I would guess that you will be at your gate, sipping a last Timmies, within 30-40mins of arriving at the airport if you show up 5-5:30am.

Martincath, thanks for the info! I'll have to get to the airport 5-5:30, but thought of Timmies will keep me going! Thanks for the reminder about the GE card. There's so much to juggle now--passport, GE card, vaccine card (just in case someone asks), test results, ticket..

Last time, I flew Air Canada. Do they still make you drag your own luggage to the drop after you check in? I remember an uphill carpeted hallway and my suitcase NOT liking that terrain.

14 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Do they still make you drag your own luggage to the drop after you check in? I remember an uphill carpeted hallway and my suitcase NOT liking that terrain.

Yes there is a luggage drag to behind the counters.  It's level, but uphill onto the luggage belt.  Usually there's staff to assist.

11 hours ago, CarlieInSF said:

Thank you so much!  Will be looking into this asap.  We booked the Quick Shuttle as a back-up but would def prefer Princess.  

Let me know if you were able to secure transport with Princess.  I was advised that a poster had trouble with it.  So I am curious.  Thanks

47 minutes ago, texasweather said:

Thank you for this info, though I must admit that now I'm worried..  My flight out of YVR is at 12:45 pm...  I sure hope we'll be able to make our flight if we try to be among the first off the ship..

I am now worried about this, too. Our disembarkation starts at 7 AM and our flight leaves at 12:35. I am now thinking of doing the rapid COVID test by internet on the ship so we can make our flight. We also have transportation with the cruise line to the airport. When are you going? We don’t do YVR until early July. Hope they can get the kinks out!!

22 minutes ago, Gray Lady said:

I am now worried about this, too. Our disembarkation starts at 7 AM and our flight leaves at 12:35. I am now thinking of doing the rapid COVID test by internet on the ship so we can make our flight. We also have transportation with the cruise line to the airport. When are you going? We don’t do YVR until early July. Hope they can get the kinks out!!

We will be hoping to catch our flight on July 3rd.  We are planning/hoping to do the eMed digitally proctored tests (they have been GREAT for my last couple trips to Europe), but that would also be dependent on having enough cell service that morning while we are docked to be able to take the tests... so we'll see.  I'll probably have a backup plan just in case.