Star Legend (Pride and Breeze also) - the original design cabins question

zentraveler

2 hours ago, Misty Morning said:

They are closer to King than Queen

I think the beds  are a bit bigger than a queen.  We like the original configuration. The bedroom part is first as you enter, the living room is by the FR balcony. We actually love that configuration. It does not bother us that the sailing ships have no balconies, we simply love those ships,  but motor yachts we need a balcony even if it is tiny. Happy Sailing

13 hours ago, Strenz said:

I think the beds  are a bit bigger than a queen.  We like the original configuration. The bedroom part is first as you enter, the living room is by the FR balcony. We actually love that configuration. It does not bother us that the sailing ships have no balconies, we simply love those ships,  but motor yachts we need a balcony even if it is tiny. Happy Sailing

We absolutely hate the new rooms. The couch is really uncomfortable, and putting the bed by the window just seems crazy. No way to sit on the couch and look at the views. You have to perch on the side of the bed to do that or watch TV. If that were my only option I would pass and wait for a cruise with the original configuration.

Okay, it is cruiseCRITIC after all, so here’s my complaint. We were on the legend last spring when they decided to turn the Amphora (there is one outside every restaurant of the same name on all the ships) into a flipping vase that holds an artificial tree.

Maybe I’m strange, but after spending a week visiting Phoenician museums in Andalusia and getting fully acquainted  with the history of the amphora, I was a tad miffed.

BTW I agree with those criticizing the new suite layout. In defense of the designer maybe they were thinking passengers want to have direct access to the “living room” when they enter their suite.

Edited by Nearpost345
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nearpost345 said:

Okay, it is cruiseCRITIC after all, so here’s my complaint. We were on the legend last spring when they decided to turn the Amphora (there is one outside every restaurant of the same name on all the ships) into a flipping vase that holds an artificial tree.

Maybe I’m strange, but after spending a week visiting Phoenician museums in Andalusia and getting fully acquainted  with the history of the amphora, I was a tad miffed.

BTW I agree with those criticizing the new suite layout. In defense of the designer maybe they were thinking passengers want to have direct access to the “living room” when they enter their suite.

I had several talks  with management about this. It seems so crazy! Not only is there no good place to sit near the window but the curtain between the two spaces, which used to made two effective spaces, is conpletely sheer in the new  version. So no longer can someone sleep and someone read. The new version is now one big room. Apparently some people wanted/liked it although it continues to baffle me. 

2 hours ago, zentraveler said:

I had several talks  with management about this. It seems so crazy! Not only is there no good place to sit near the window but the curtain between the two spaces, which used to made two effective spaces, is conpletely sheer in the new  version. So no longer can someone sleep and someone read. The new version is now one big room. Apparently some people wanted/liked it although it continues to baffle me. 

They will find out how many people like it as repeat bookings are made.  This is like the issue of bathtubs – there is a group (apparently small) that are vocal in wanting a bathtub, but when ships are renovated the cabins where the bathtub has been removed to create a huge shower are the first to sell.  Azamara tried going 50/50 on their first renovation (Pursuit), but saw how bookings were going so the next one (Onward) kept very few bathtubs.  

I assume it will be easier for Windstar to flip the layout on these new cabins (than to renovate a bathroom), so maybe they will redo some of them to fit customers' preferences.  I would certainly prefer the central location of the new cabins, if they had the better layout of the old ones.

• Like 2