Carnival Fly2Fun - question about flight selection & airlines

NCTribeFan

Have never used this before and have looked through several of the threads.  My questions are these:

I'm looking for flights from RDU-Rome (FCU) arriving Oct 9.  I see what appears to be the same flights based on departure and arrival times, but there are options to book as though they're operated by different airlines.

Ex:  AA with a 4 hr layover in PHL; overseas flight shown as being operated by Finnair

Same but with overseas flight shown as British Airways (cost $29 more)

Same but with overseas flight shown as Iberia Airlines (same cost as BA)

Are these overseas flights all actually the same equipment?  Would it make any difference at all which I choose?

37 minutes ago, NCTribeFan said:

Have never used this before and have looked through several of the threads.  My questions are these:

I'm looking for flights from RDU-Rome (FCU) arriving Oct 9.  I see what appears to be the same flights based on departure and arrival times, but there are options to book as though they're operated by different airlines.

Ex:  AA with a 4 hr layover in PHL; overseas flight shown as being operated by Finnair

Same but with overseas flight shown as British Airways (cost $29 more)

Same but with overseas flight shown as Iberia Airlines (same cost as BA)

Are these overseas flights all actually the same equipment?  Would it make any difference at all which I choose?

The "flights" are on AA metal.  What you are seeing are AY, BA and IB codeshares on that particular single flight.

So no, there aren't four aircraft flying the same route at the same time.

1 hour ago, NCTribeFan said:

As already answered, these are all the same flight operated by American. Those are all OneWorld alliance partners codesharing on the AA flight. Technically there won't be a difference in booking with any of them. Some people will say it's best to book with the airline actually doing the flying, but as a very frequent OneWorld flier who is constantly on codeshares, I've not run in to any particular issues where being on a codeshare has made a difference, especially with airlines that (generally) play friendly together - AA, Finnair, Iberia, and BA. 

Well, looks like I can get the flights I originally wanted on Air Canada but they're now listed as Lufthansa.  As you kind folks have pointed out, that shouldn't make any difference.  I'll be on the same equipment as my Canadian friends.

Question, though.  Is a 2 hr layover in Toronto long enough?  Flight would be on Oct 8 so one would hope there wouldn't be too many weather issues.  Of course, there can be many other problems/delays.

I really need to get something booked.

3 minutes ago, NCTribeFan said:

Well, looks like I can get the flights I originally wanted on Air Canada but they're now listed as Lufthansa.  As you kind folks have pointed out, that shouldn't make any difference.  I'll be on the same equipment as my Canadian friends.

Question, though.  Is a 2 hr layover in Toronto long enough?  Flight would be on Oct 8 so one would hope there wouldn't be too many weather issues.  Of course, there can be many other problems/delays.

I really need to get something booked.

It could be tight, but I would do it. Here's some info on how that process will work at YYZ: https://www.torontopearson.com/en/connections/guide?arrivingairline=aca&arrivingdestination=fco&departingairline=aca&departingdestination=rdu

Note you will need to also clear security and US immigration/customs at YYZ, as it's a pre-clearance airport, so that will add a bit of time. 

Thanks  That's really useful.  I'm only focused on this YYZ-FCO flight because there are many of us staying at an large Airbnb in Rome.  I'm solo, so was hoping to fly with some of the others so that when we arrive in Rome, we can travel to the apt together.  None of the others have made their flight plans.

My other option is the original I asked about with the 4 hr layover in Philly.  I'd be a lot more comfortable with that flight even though it would mean hanging around in the Rome airport for 2 hours waiting for the Canadians to arrive.

3 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

It could be tight, but I would do it. Here's some info on how that process will work at YYZ: https://www.torontopearson.com/en/connections/guide?arrivingairline=aca&arrivingdestination=fco&departingairline=aca&departingdestination=rdu

Note you will need to also clear security and US immigration/customs at YYZ, as it's a pre-clearance airport, so that will add a bit of time. 

Zach - that would be for the return, if on the same routing.  He was mostly asking about flying to Rome, so there would not be any US CBP on outbound.

1 hour ago, NCTribeFan said:

My other option is the original I asked about with the 4 hr layover in Philly.  I'd be a lot more comfortable with that flight even though it would mean hanging around in the Rome airport for 2 hours waiting for the Canadians to arrive.

"Hanging around" isn't the worst thing in the world.  Time to get a bite to eat or a coffee, time to find an ATM and get some Euros, time to buy a local pre-paid SIM for your phone.

I always find it interesting that folks mind "hanging out" in an airport, but have no problem just finding a place to sit and read/relax/chill once on the ship.  Get a head start on your newest book.

9 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Zach - that would be for the return, if on the same routing.  He was mostly asking about flying to Rome, so there would not be any US CBP on outbound.

Ugh, you're right...my jet lag and lack of sleep are compounding hourly, just got back from Sao Paulo this morning. Time to pretend it's 5 o'clock and start the weekend. 

The only real difference with "codeshare" prices is the amount you want to pay.  Five years ago flying to Ushuaia to embark an expedition ship to Antarctica booked MIA-USH and back on Aerolineas Argentinas  (ARG) which was codeshared with Delta.  Delta was asking 3X the ARG price for the same metal and exactly the same schedule.  It pays to be aware and research codeshare options.