more new ships?

Steff79

Six in addition to the six Leonardo/Prima-class ships already on order?  Maybe some of it is re-negotiation of the four yet-to-be-started ships in that previous order?

• Like 1

i don´t know, but sounds cheaper then the Leonardo ships so they should be smaller .Maybe new ships for oceana or regent? have they more ships in order too?

Edited by Steff79
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Steff79 said:

Maybe new ships for oceana or regent?

That's most likely.  Just "talks" right now, when things finalize I'm sure there will be an announcement.

• Like 1

Maybe they’ll address these “rumors” on the earnings call on May 10th. But with the $4B price for 6 ships, I agree with you guys above, sounds like a potential order for Oceania / Regent. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kenns said:

Maybe they’ll address these “rumors” on the earnings call on May 10th. But with the $4B price for 6 ships, I agree with you guys above, sounds like a potential order for Oceania / Regent. 

I agree. If this really is a deal in the works it will be addressed on May 10th, if nothing else, this news will inflate the forward looking statement.

• Like 1

https://www.maritime-executive.com/article/report-fincantieri-is-finalizing-4b-order-from-norwegian-cruise-line

"..

Details of the order are not known but speculation confirmed by Reuters says the cruise holding company will order up to six ships valued at $4 billion. It is not known if the order would be entirely for larger cruise ships to be used by the company’s contemporary segment brand Norwegian Cruise Line or possibly the order could be split with one or both of the cruise company’s luxury brands. All three of the brands are currently building ships at Fincantieri, while NCLH has made no secrete of its desire to add more ships to its ultra-luxury Regent Seven Seas Cruises brand. Regent is currently building a 750-passenger all-suite 55,500 gross ton cruise ship, Seven Seas Grandeur, at Fincantieri due for delivery in 2023. Unlike the other two brands, Regent is the only one that does not have additional cruise ships on order.

The relationship between Norwegian and Fincantieri dates back more than a decade when the Italian shipyard built two deluxe cruise ships for the Oceania Cruise brand. Before that, Norwegian had been building its large cruise ships at Meyer Werft in Germany, a relationship that dated back to the early 2000s when Norwegian was owned by Genting Hong Kong’s Star Cruises and began building its modern operation based on ships from Meyer Werft.

Oceania was pleased with the two Fincantieri built 66,000 gross ton cruise ships introduced in 2011 and 2012 as Marina and Riviera, which lead to an expansion of the relationship. Regent ultimately is building three ultra-luxury cruise ships with Fincantieri starting with the Seven Seas Explorer in 2016 and the Seven Seas Splendor introduced in February 2020 weeks before the industry paused due to the pandemic.

.."

Thought this was great to see. I'm thinking a mix of strong indicator or demand in the luxury segment, competitive pricing due to yards having minimal orders over the past few years, etc.

While many new ships have entered service this year, dozens were removed from service/scrapped.

I'm also wondering if NCL is exploring an entrance into the fast growing Expedition market....

Oceanaia and Regent already have three ships in the making till 2025. I can`t imagine they will get 6 more.

On the other side 666 Million per ship is actually not enough for all ships that NCL itself got since 2010.

This leads me to a a daring theory. Could it be that these will be replacements for their older smaller ships (Spirit,sky,sun,star and dawn)? If these new ships are built in a few year(let`s assume between 2025 and 2030 ) then the older ships have been in service for almost or even over 30 years.

11 minutes ago, CruiseMH said:

Oceanaia and Regent already have three ships in the making till 2025. I can`t imagine they will get 6 more.

On the other side 666 Million per ship is actually not enough for all ships that NCL itself got since 2010.

This leads me to a a daring theory. Could it be that these will be replacements for their older smaller ships (Spirit,sky,sun,star and dawn)? If these new ships are built in a few year(let`s assume between 2025 and 2030 ) then the older ships have been in service for almost or even over 30 years.

Didn't they recently pull all of the Sky sailing of 2023? Hmmm....

I'm going with addition Prima-Class vessel (doubtful) or Regent/Oceania. They've commented wanting to grow Regent specifically, and they've had record bookings announcements.  Luxury segment is also very profitable.  

Regent only has one newbuild ordered as of day, Seven Seas Grandeur, due Q4-2023.

Oceania has two newbuilds ordered as of today, due Q2-2023 and Q2-2025.

53 minutes ago, CruiseMH said:

Regent and Oceania also have older ships in the fleet:

Regatta (1998)

Insignia (1998)

Sirena (1999)

Nautica (2000)

Seven Seas Navigator (1999)

16 minutes ago, Beezo said:

Regent and Oceania also have older ships in the fleet:

Regatta (1998)

Insignia (1998)

Sirena (1999)

Nautica (2000)

Seven Seas Navigator (1999)

Ok, I overlooked that.

So to me a replacement of older ships is more likely than the increase of the fleet.(no matter which of their three brands)

9 minutes ago, CruiseMH said:

Ok, I overlooked that.

So to me a replacement of older ships is more likely than the increase of the fleet.(no matter which of their three brands)

I agree.  And it can go in a lot of directions too - expedition, LNG, etc.

Regardless - I hope it's true!

And, in somewhat unrelated news of the older Norwegian ships - some of us recalled cruising on the old Seaward (it was already renamed, as the Norwegian Sea - for us then) - being sold as scrap for pennies, part of (bankrupt) Gentling Hong Kong's Star Cruises - liquidating as 1 of the 4 old ships with limited future market value. 

https://www.maritime-executive.com/article/star-cruises-ships-sold-for-scrap-in-liquidation-of-genting-hong-kong

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone heard anything else on this rumor? I know they didn’t address it on the earnings call a few weeks back. The only “new ship” news was how the 4 Prima class ships after Viva would be “Prima plus” so not sure if anyone has any news or updates to share.