First time on Cunard

Alslc

Good evening all!

This summer I will be on the QV for 7 nights. I am currently booked on a PG suite but I wanted to upgrade to QG… I have a few question. 

- Is it normal to see availability on QG for the whole 14 nights voyage, but if I I select my shorter voyage (7 of those 14 nights) I can’t see any QG available ?

- in regards to the dress code, I went through the section on the Cunard website. I would love to dress up (tuxedo for me and cocktail dress for my other half) even during non formal night, but wouldn’t want to look out of context ( I will either dine at the PG or QG if I manage to pay for the upgrade). 

- final question in regards to the insurance, which I can see it’s been debated lately in this forum. My first voyage will depart from Germany on QV and my second one on QM2 from the UK. Cunard customer services have been very vague… so I am a bit confused. How in depth will they check the travel insurance ? I have one but it is from a  non - uk provider, so the cover is slightly different, but covers pretty much what is required for UK citizens. 

Thanks for all the advice you gave on the other threads, it was a very interesting reading. 

Regards,

A

42 minutes ago, Alslc said:

- Is it normal to see availability on QG for the whole 14 nights voyage, but if I I select my shorter voyage (7 of those 14 nights) I can’t see any QG available ?

Yes-- they are holding out to try and sell the QG suite at a higher rate for a longer period of time. They many or may not release it for the shorter 7 day voyage and it could be more last minute if they do. You could always try calling them and asking. 

42 minutes ago, Alslc said:

- in regards to the dress code, I went through the section on the Cunard website. I would love to dress up (tuxedo for me and cocktail dress for my other half) even during non formal night, but wouldn’t want to look out of context ( I will either dine at the PG or QG if I manage to pay for the upgrade). 

You wont be out of place but you might be fairly overdressed. Even in the old days on Cunard when most nights were formal, it was always the first and last nights were a suit and tie and the nights in the middle were black tie.

It's gotten considerably more casual since then but Cunard is dressier still than most so you won't be completely out of place. There will be folks with open collars, blazers etc on non formal nights so it really comes down to your comfort level.

Edited by princeton123211
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, Alslc said:

I have one but it is from a  non - uk provider, so the cover is slightly different, but covers pretty much what is required for UK citizens. 

Living in France we are not eligible for most travel insurance policies intended for UK residents.

However we were concerned that policies offered by companies in France provided a fraction of the medical cover in UK policies and it is doubtful if it would be adequate for any complex or extended medical procedures should we have an accident in the US.

I think the differences were typically €150,000 against £10,000,000.

We came across a UK provider who use a Spanish underwriter to cover British Ex Pats that provided similar levels to UK policies and specifically cruise cover as well.

1 hour ago, D&N said:

Living in France we are not eligible for most travel insurance policies intended for UK residents.

However we were concerned that policies offered by companies in France provided a fraction of the medical cover in UK policies and it is doubtful if it would be adequate for any complex or extended medical procedures should we have an accident in the US.

I think the differences were typically €150,000 against £10,000,000.

We came across a UK provider who use a Spanish underwriter to cover British Ex Pats that provided similar levels to UK policies and specifically cruise cover as well.

I managed to find a policy that covers unlimited medical expenses, but the Cunard customer service keeps giving me wrong info, saying the policy must cover repatriation to the UK, which is non-sense as the policy, in the event of an issue, will repatriate me to my home country and not to the UK...

Then I spoke to another agent and he said they will not do any in-depth examination of the policy and they will just make sure name/surname/dob will match and that there is covid cover.. 

Regarding your comment about dressing up, we were on a cruise that listed 4 formal nights before we left home but only 3 once on  board. The other ladies at our table were disappointed as, like me, they had taken 4 formal outfits. We decided  between us to have our own 4th formal night. The waiter rudely told us that it was not a formal night but we felt good about ourselves. Nobody pointed at us so dress up if you want to.

• Like 1

Until very recently, the rule was 3 formals on a crossing per week and 2 on a cruise.

However, there are only 2 per week on a crossing now, and 3 per fortnight on a cruise.

Therefore you will either have one or two formals.

You'll find that especially in the Grills, on a non-formal night, most men will still wear jackets, although strictly speaking it's not necessary, and most ladies will be in cocktail dresses.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Summergee said:

Regarding your comment about dressing up, we were on a cruise that listed 4 formal nights before we left home but only 3 once on  board. The other ladies at our table were disappointed as, like me, they had taken 4 formal outfits. We decided  between us to have our own 4th formal night. The waiter rudely told us that it was not a formal night but we felt good about ourselves. Nobody pointed at us so dress up if you want to.

I agree.

I always wear what I want which, apart from a formal code evening, is usually above the day's advisory. If you want to wear a formal outfit on a non formal evening, then go for it. My non formal clothes are mostly interchangeable for formal evenings.

Having never come across rudeness in the wait staff, it would take me aback but maybe he thought he was being amusing or helpful.

If downright rude, a quick retort or outright ignoring would be my comeback.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

Until very recently, the rule was 3 formals on a crossing per week and 2 on a cruise.

However, there are only 2 per week on a crossing now, and 3 per fortnight on a cruise.

Therefore you will either have one or two formals.

You'll find that especially in the Grills, on a non-formal night, most men will still wear jackets, although strictly speaking it's not necessary, and most ladies will be in cocktail dresses.

Cocktail attire. 🙂

A tux and long gown might be over the top on non-formal nights, but it beats going too far in the other direction.  

Sorry they've dropped a formal night. 

• Like 4

Well I'll be dressing down by wearing my white tux on the nights that were to be formal but are no longer. I need a suit and tie every other non formal night as I'd just look stupid wearing anything more casual with some of Nora's non formal wear. And I suppose it depends on your definition of a gown, but she'll have ankle length dress, skirts or culotte suit on four non formal nights.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, D&N said:

. And I suppose it depends on your definition of a gown, but she'll have ankle length dress, skirts or culotte suit on four non formal nights.

This gives rise to a question I have never thought of before, which is whether women often tell their significant others in advance what they are going to wear.  It is something I would never think of discussing, partly because I never know.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

This gives rise to a question I have never thought of before, which is whether women often tell their significant others in advance what they are going to wear.  It is something I would never think of discussing, partly because I never know.

Well firstly you have to remember that we both spent parts of our careers in transport planning so we plan absolutely everything.

Nora occasionally buys something on impulse but just about the only thing I was intentionally not consulted on was her wedding dress.

And we want her to wear as much of the best stuff in her wardrobe on the trip but have the minor restriction of keeping luggage within BA's limits, hence the detailed planning.

But to your main question; probably not, we're not aware of any other couples who live their lives quite as close coupled as us. Some cuts/colours of clothes suit her better than others and I've always given an honest opinion and I daresay she trusts that. Plus we rarely see anything stunning in the shops around here so either browse internet together or rush round shops together on rare visits to London.

56 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

We never discuss what each other is wearing. Wouldn't occur to us to be honest. We each know whatever we choose will be in keeping with each other although  I do occasionally give advice on any particular evening which shirt will be OK to go tieless as more businessy shirts need a tie. 

We both scrub up reasonably well on all occasions! 😃

22 minutes ago, D&N said:

Well firstly you have to remember that we both spent parts of our careers in transport planning so we plan absolutely everything.

Nora occasionally buys something on impulse but just about the only thing I was intentionally not consulted on was her wedding dress.

And we want her to wear as much of the best stuff in her wardrobe on the trip but have the minor restriction of keeping luggage within BA's limits, hence the detailed planning.

But to your main question; probably not, we're not aware of any other couples who live their lives quite as close coupled as us. Some cuts/colours of clothes suit her better than others and I've always given an honest opinion and I daresay she trusts that. Plus we rarely see anything stunning in the shops around here so either browse internet together or rush round shops together on rare visits to London.

Excellent. What a lovely post.

I don't think my husband has the slightest idea what's in my wardrobe[ss] until the clothes see the light of day [ What? this old thing? It's been in the wardrobe for ages works for me 😊 ]

I have no idea what I'll be wearing on any given night as non of my clothes are casual  and it depends how I feel on the night.

I hope you'll post some photographs when you get back and I'm looking forward to a report.

Enjoy

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tonopah said:

MisterTonopah does switch up his bow tie color (gasp) depending on what I wear. He sews his own ties so enjoys switching them around. 

Mr HH will ask what colour tie he should wear when we're getting ready but we don't usually co-ordinate in advance.

Insurance??? Although we have an annual travel plan from a US company, I was unaware of Cunard having a requirement. We were on a 19 night roundtrip sailing from NY in March and were not asked for any insurance documentation. 

It is so nice to see people enjoying dressing up for any evening, whether formal or not.  Hearing that some men actually sew their own bow ties - fabulous. Now that would mean you could make your own red and gold self tie bow tie for the Cunard Gala evenings - something I tried to find in the various stores but never succeeded!

15 minutes ago, mcloaked said:

It is so nice to see people enjoying dressing up for any evening, whether formal or not.  Hearing that some men actually sew their own bow ties - fabulous. Now that would mean you could make your own red and gold self tie bow tie for the Cunard Gala evenings - something I tried to find in the various stores but never succeeded!

I imagine you could find a pre-tied red & gold bow tie somewhere online but perhaps you could get a cheap red one of the right shade and a small pot of gold paint or nail varnish and decorate the tie yourself. No sewing skills required!

19 minutes ago, D&N said:

I imagine you could find a pre-tied red & gold bow tie somewhere online but perhaps you could get a cheap red one of the right shade and a small pot of gold paint or nail varnish and decorate the tie yourself. No sewing skills required!

Or even get a red self-tie one, and a gold self-tie one, and cut the ends off one and sew them in place on the other!  Your own customised self-tie Cunard bow tie! Provided you are adept with a needle and thread as a man, or ask very very nicely if your SO might consider helping if she has those skills!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1