Flying home to US from Vancouver-covid test needed?

12 hours ago, 1965 said:

Our upcoming Alaska cruise will end in Vancouver May 25. We fly home to Dallas from there. I'm reading we'll need to test before we can fly home. Will we be tested on the ship? Any info appreciated. Apologies if this has already been discussed & I missed it.

9 hours ago, DougH said:

The more I read the more confused I get. If we are getting off in Vancouver and flying home to the USA we need a test, that I understand. Princess states that testing can be done on board. I have downloaded the Medallion app onto my phone but will not sign up for the onboard internet. Does that mean I can't do the test onboard,? I won't have a connection correct?

Here is what Princess website says:

If guests would prefer to have the required test completed while still on board, Princess has partnered with Optum so that before traveling to the ship U.S.-based vaccinated guests can order an FDA-authorized at-home antigen test kit, shipped to their homes in three business days or less. Guests can take these tests on the ship, using MedallionNet to complete the required, video-supervised visit with an eMed Certified Guide through telehealth services.

Yeah from what I have learned through my research is that the US is still requiring a COVID-19 viral test no more than 1 day before you travel by air into the United States. Here is the link to the CDC website that I've found tons of helpful information https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

I was having a hard time trying to find a testing clinic nearby but I was so happy when I found a clinic that is actually right next to the cruise ship terminal in Vancouver which is soo convenient!!  It's located in the Vancouver Convention Centre, I booked my test online but I heard that they also accept walk-ins. Here is the link in case it may helpful to anyone: https://covid-medical.ca/covid-19-test-book-online/  Prices are also pretty decent! Hope it helps save some stress 🙂

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Yes, I believe the key is to have the test done before disembarking.  I don't see anywhere in the health protocols where Princess will not cover quarantine expenses after the cruise when test positive, but seems cloudy if you don't test until after leaving the ship.  Perhaps less hassle to take a land trip to Seattle and then fly.  Seems to me another barrier to travel going on here.

Yes the key here seems to be to get that test result while still ON the ship! If I were booking AK now it would be RT from SEA or cross the border by land. Little hard to change plans when flying in 6 days though!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Yehootu said:

I've read different posts about testing onboard. It's been posted were if you are flying and NEED a test, Princess was doing them in a lounge. Our cruise stops in Victoria the day before so maybe they'll be offered the day before. We will do our own test onboard on debarcation morning and if positive, report to Princess before we get off. We are both double boosted and figure just like the chicken pox, You ARE going to get it sooner or later.

Yes I plan to do the same. Also double boosted and have had Covid (after vaccination with mild symptoms). Its crazy that I am more afraid of the uncertainty of being quarantined than of being sick with Covid. 

• Like 2

I wonder if cruises ending in Vancouver still have the option of busing to Seattle Airport. We did that  several years ago. We got on the bus at the terminal, and they sealed it. So at the border for U.S., we didn't need to get off the bus.  So if you could fly home from Seattle, it isn't international travel and wouldn't require a test. Makes for a longer trip in some cases. For us, actually was shorter because flight from Seattle got us home earlier than if from Vancouver.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, pattycruisealot21 said:

Yeah from what I have learned through my research is that the US is still requiring a COVID-19 viral test no more than 1 day before you travel by air into the United States. Here is the link to the CDC website that I've found tons of helpful information https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

I was having a hard time trying to find a testing clinic nearby but I was so happy when I found a clinic that is actually right next to the cruise ship terminal in Vancouver which is soo convenient!!  It's located in the Vancouver Convention Centre, I booked my test online but I heard that they also accept walk-ins. Here is the link in case it may helpful to anyone: https://covid-medical.ca/covid-19-test-book-online/  Prices are also pretty decent! Hope it helps save some stress 🙂

Thanks for adding this information.  I just booked at the Convention Center.  It's easy and quick to do.

8 minutes ago, BigTimeCruiser said:

Thanks for adding this information.  I just booked at the Convention Center.  It's easy and quick to do.

Our flight leaves at 12:30 pm from Vancouver back to the US.  The original plan was to take the Princess shuttle from the ship to the airport.  If we would get tested at the Convention Center, can we still take the shuttle to the airport or are we on our own after we leave the ship?

22 minutes ago, Gramma of Boys said:

Our flight leaves at 12:30 pm from Vancouver back to the US.  The original plan was to take the Princess shuttle from the ship to the airport.  If we would get tested at the Convention Center, can we still take the shuttle to the airport or are we on our own after we leave the ship?

That's our concern as well and our flight leaves later than yours at 1:20! Based on a couple of previous posts we're considering using the telehealth test while in Victoria the day before. Ship's Internet reliability is a problem at these latitudes so we'll probably use our phone as a hotspot while in port. Our cell carrier (AT&T) has an international day pass for $10, I know others do the same. Could also drag the laptop into town and find somewhere with free WiFi. Another alternative would be to find a testing place in Victoria and get it done there.

Edit: Got to consider what happens if Victoria is missed. That sometimes happens.

Edited by beg3yrs

Got this email this morning:

UPDATED DISEMBARK TESTING POLICY FOR YOUR CRUISE
Please be advised that due to circumstances beyond our control, we regret that we are unable to provide debark testing in Vancouver, British Columbia for guests who require a negative COVID-19 test for travel back to the U.S.

For guests flying home on the day of disembarkation, we recommend utilizing the testing facilities at Vancouver International Airport (YVR). For more information regarding locations, pricing, and reservations, please visit: https://www.yvr.ca/en/passengers/travel-planning/takecare/covid-19-testing. For additional information about testing locations in and around Vancouver, please visit https://*****/3KD1rig.

We have also partnered with Optum and Radeas so that U.S.-based vaccinated guests can order an FDA-authorized medically observed at-home antigen test kit. To order an Optum home test, please visit https://*****/3FfbQiV. For Radeas, visit https://cruise.radeas.com/.

1 hour ago, beg3yrs said:

That's our concern as well and our flight leaves later than yours at 1:20! Based on a couple of previous posts we're considering using the telehealth test while in Victoria the day before. Ship's Internet reliability is a problem at these latitudes so we'll probably use our phone as a hotspot while in port. Our cell carrier (AT&T) has an international day pass for $10, I know others do the same. Could also drag the laptop into town and find somewhere with free WiFi. Another alternative would be to find a testing place in Victoria and get it done there.

Edit: Got to consider what happens if Victoria is missed. That sometimes happens.

Sorry, what a vacation!!!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Yes, I believe the key is to have the test done before disembarking.  I don't see anywhere in the health protocols where Princess will not cover quarantine expenses after the cruise when test positive, but seems cloudy if you don't test until after leaving the ship.  Perhaps less hassle to take a land trip to Seattle and then fly.  Seems to me another barrier to travel going on here.

I just spoke to my brother who travels between US and Canada frequently.  He opted to drive from Vancouver to Seattle instead of taking the test to fly out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gramma of Boys said:

I have same question.

3 minutes ago, 1965 said:

I have same question.

I think that is a question for Princess. Once you leave the ship, collect your luggage, and exit the terminal for testing, it depends on where the shuttle would board and how long it could wait for people who are testing. The purpose of the shuttle is to get people to the airport in time for their flights. Since YVR is recommending arriving three hours before your flight, that leaves a narrow window for shuttles to operate except for flights around noon or later. A lot depends on the number of ships in port.

We are staying 1 night in Vancouver before flying home the next morning and I was going to bring 2 proctored tests with me to do at the hotel. Just saw mention of international rates and will have to look into Verizon rates and if not reasonable will just do the test at cruise terminal.  We are doing 10 days on land before boarding the ship and spending almost 11 hours in planes before our land portion. So crazy that we have to stress over all this, never mind the possibility of testing positive.

• Like 1

With all these unknowns regarding the timing of the Princess Shuttle and possible overloading of the local test facilities, we just ordered two telehealth kits from Optum and will do the testing while in Victoria the day before. We should have several sources of WiFi Internet whether it's the ship, a cell-phone connection or a hotspot in town. That way we're not stressed (at least any more than usual) on disembarkation day.

Re: Please be advised that due to circumstances beyond our control, we regret that we are unable to provide debark testing in Vancouver, British Columbia for guests who require a negative COVID-19 test for travel back to the U.S.

Does anybody other than me wonder what the "circumstances beyond our control' actually are?

15 minutes ago, Buckeye10640 said:

Re: Please be advised that due to circumstances beyond our control, we regret that we are unable to provide debark testing in Vancouver, British Columbia for guests who require a negative COVID-19 test for travel back to the U.S.

Does anybody other than me wonder what the "circumstances beyond our control' actually are?

Can’t help wondering if it is some kind of non-compete issue. Testing has become quite a big business. Sites serving cruise passengers have popped up everywhere.

1 hour ago, Buckeye10640 said:

Maybe a non-compete like Babr suggests but also could be a supply issue. Current Discovery Princess reports say they were able to test onboard so I don't think it's an issue with being overwhelmed staff-wise. Either that or some bean counter in accounting decided it wasn't worth the cost and pushed the problem shoreside.

38 minutes ago, beg3yrs said:

Maybe a non-compete like Babr suggests but also could be a supply issue. Current Discovery Princess reports say they were able to test onboard so I don't think it's an issue with being overwhelmed staff-wise. Either that or some bean counter in accounting decided it wasn't worth the cost and pushed the problem shoreside.

Found this on HAL's forum, haven't read thru it myself.

So maybe we are better served booking a Canada to USA Alaska cruise. Pre cruise test - yes but no test needed to enter Canada. If disembarking in Seattle, straight to the airport we go?

Edited by maggieq

30 minutes ago, ebeluga said:

Found this on HAL's forum, haven't read thru it myself.

Looks like the decision is made at a higher level than Princess. Holland America Group or maybe even Carnival Corporate. Other lines like Celebrity are reported to be doing the same thing.

One thing to hope (but don't hold your breath) is that they've all got an inside scoop that the US testing requirement will be dropped very soon.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, highloyo said:

Here's a suggestion for those of you disembarking in Vancouver. If it's possible to get your flight refunded, take the Princess excursion bus to Seattle then fly out of Seattle. I think the excursion fare was $79.  No test is required to cross the border by motorcoach or train. You will then fly domestically within the US where no tests are required.  It's unfortunate the rules changed so abruptly.  

9 hours ago, san diego sue said:

I wonder if cruises ending in Vancouver still have the option of busing to Seattle Airport. We did that  several years ago. We got on the bus at the terminal, and they sealed it. So at the border for U.S., we didn't need to get off the bus.  So if you could fly home from Seattle, it isn't international travel and wouldn't require a test. Makes for a longer trip in some cases. For us, actually was shorter because flight from Seattle got us home earlier than if from Vancouver.

The bus to Seattle was available for my May 4 disembarking. 

1 hour ago, maggieq said:

So maybe we are better served booking a Canada to USA Alaska cruise. Pre cruise test - yes but no test needed to enter Canada. If disembarking in Seattle, straight to the airport we go?

That is definitely what I would do now. Or round trip from Seattle. 

9 hours ago, san diego sue said:

I looked into taking a bus (not Princess) or ferry from Vancouver to Seattle when we disembark on the 21st. Given that we want to spend the day in Seattle, we decided to rent a car and drive to Seattle. It is on the pricy side, but given the more expensive fare to fly home from Vancouver compared to Seattle (plus the much easier flights) it is a no-brainer.