Flying home to US from Vancouver-covid test needed?

Thanks Buckeye. For fun I looked at Holland America protocols. Guess what? The 72 hour rule is applicable to cruises that either embark or have stops in Canadian ports ....they track the language of the Canada regulations...

20 hours ago, doctoranna said:

We don't plan to trust the WiFi in Vancouver either.  We have already booked appointments at the Convention Center at the pier.

How much time between the COVID test and flight do you think you need  so you can get through customs and security?

16 minutes ago, travelbuds said:

How much time between the COVID test and flight do you think you need  so you can get through customs and security?

YVR is advising passengers to arrive three hours prior to boarding. That does not include time for testing,

1 hour ago, erber said:

Thanks Buckeye. For fun I looked at Holland America protocols. Guess what? The 72 hour rule is applicable to cruises that either embark or have stops in Canadian ports ....they track the language of the Canada regulations...

Yeahbut - where is the hour to measure against?  Departure time?  Doesn't make sense since everyone is on board well before that - and it may be delayed.  Your individual check-in time?  That could make sense, but early check-ins don't always go right onto the ship.  But it is probably the best idea. 

I suppose a similar measurement for flights is the flight departure time, but pax generally only board in the last few minutes before departure whereas a cruise guest can be on board 4-5 hours before departure.  As an early boarder, I might not be happy to have my valid test at 10:30am be considered invalid because the ship doesn't leave until 5:00pm.

40 minutes ago, Babr said:

YVR is advising passengers to arrive three hours prior to boarding. That does not include time for testing,

I read this before and wonder why.  What reason(s) do they have for asking people to show up SO early for a transborder flight?  (I realize you may not have the answer).

2 hours ago, MudderBear said:

So, what is basically the latest I can get off the ship in Vancouver when we dock?  I'd like to take the test in the morning once we have docked so that I am still a cruise passenger.

1 hour ago, Buckeye10640 said:

Erber we decided to test before we fly Wednesday which is within 3 days but but more than 72 hours before boarding. I will report back this weekend. Supposedly my PVP checked with her manager and said its a US embarkation and 3 day rule. I guess if they dont like it  they will test us at the dock. I am getting tired of second guessing vague and ever changing rules. 

I tried to stay on the Emerald last  month as long as I could since our flight was at 1:30..they kicked the last us off just before 9:30.
Also, for proof you got it on a cruise, Wouldn’t those results need to come from Princess? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I read this before and wonder why.  What reason(s) do they have for asking people to show up SO early for a transborder flight?  (I realize you may not have the answer).

I guess they are blaming it on staff shortages with security (CATSA).  I can say that anything government in Canada has been WAY reduced in service level and they don't seem to care that the rest of us are back to living and working.  The passport application/renewal process is way backlogged.  NEXUS has been shutdown by Canadian side for over two years even though the US is back working it.  Another backlog that will take well over a year to clean up no doubt.  Meanwhile these federal employees are at home drawing full pay and benefits.

7 minutes ago, Happiest when cruising said:

I tried to stay on the Emerald last  month as long as I could since our flight was at 1:30..they kicked the last us off just before 9:30.
Also, for proof you got it on a cruise, Wouldn’t those results need to come from Princess? 

My thinking as well.  9:30 is about the "shoo them off" time.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I think it has to do with long lines to get through screenings/ security. Staff shortages?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

NO - you are incorrect.  You can enter Canada unvaccinated, or partially vaccinated.  However, you have to enter a 14-day quarantine upon entry and follow the Feds protocols which include reporting in and possibly receiving a visit or phone call(s) to check on you.

It is also not accurate to label US flights as mask-less.  Anyone is free and welcome to wear a mask. 

Yes, I was incorrect about fully vaccinated into Canada. I was referring to cruise passengers disembarking in Canada and flying to the US that day. My bad. Yes, one can, and hopefully would, wear masks on flights. It is for everyone’s protection. It is just that most people, sadly, are choosing to not do it now. 

8 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I guess they are blaming it on staff shortages with security (CATSA).  I can say that anything government in Canada has been WAY reduced in service level and they don't seem to care that the rest of us are back to living and working.  The passport application/renewal process is way backlogged.  NEXUS has been shutdown by Canadian side for over two years even though the US is back working it.  Another backlog that will take well over a year to clean up no doubt.  Meanwhile these federal employees are at home drawing full pay and benefits.

There are staff shortages in every area. Recreation, tourism and transportation have been hit the hardest. It is hard to find people interested in working the open hours of those businesses. I know I’m all about only working a daytime job and no evenings or weekends. I guess I’ve earned it, as I’ve been working for more than 40 years. 😏

The information below is what I just copied for flights leaving the USA.

It doesn’t seem any different than the guidelines CANADA has. 

The TSA advises arriving at the airport two hours before your flight for domestic travel and three hours before for international travel. If you're traveling during peak times like early morning or evening, or during holidays and other events, please plan accordingly and allow for extra time.

16 minutes ago, Happiest when cruising said:

There are staff shortages in every area. Recreation, tourism and transportation have been hit the hardest. It is hard to find people interested in working the open hours of those businesses. I know I’m all about only working a daytime job and no evenings or weekends. I guess I’ve earned it, as I’ve been working for more than 40 years. 😏

The information below is what I just copied for flights leaving the USA.

It doesn’t seem any different than the guidelines CANADA has. 

The TSA advises arriving at the airport two hours before your flight for domestic travel and three hours before for international travel. If you're traveling during peak times like early morning or evening, or during holidays and other events, please plan accordingly and allow for extra time.

Flying from USA to CANADA is like domestic travel and not international.  

3 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

They will be pushing stragglers off the ship by 9:30am or shortly after.  Not going to have pax on the ship after 10am I should think.

Also consider that on our recent cruises including recent debarkation in Vancouver, they want you out of your stateroom by 8:30 am. I don’t think you’d want to be doing a proctored test anywhere else. 

45 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

Also consider that on our recent cruises including recent debarkation in Vancouver, they want you out of your stateroom by 8:30 am. I don’t think you’d want to be doing a proctored test anywhere else. 

No need to wait until morning - do it the evening before disembarking.

9 hours ago, Yehootu said:

We plan on taking it while in Victoria as the Wifi should be better than at sea. If all fails, we'll test the next am in Vancouver. But definitely doing it before leaving the ship.

Curious where in Victoria you will find the Wi-Fi. My wife is looking into what Verizon offers so she can do it on her cell phone. She has seen YouTube videos making it look pretty easy.

4 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

This link is from a Celebrity roll call for a cruise currently due to end in Vancouver on 5/13.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/there-will-be-lines-vancouver-airport-warns-of-delays-due-to-security-screening-staff-shortage-1.5884017

14 hours ago, Gray Lady said:

I called the CDC to ask about this very same thing with driving versus flying. Border crossings by land and by sea fall under the Homeland Security umbrella. The CDC has no jurisdiction there…only on flights. Still doesn’t make sense if you are only disembarking from a ship and flying directly home. One has to be fully vaccinated to even get into Canada. And all flights within the US are maskless now. Really?? Perfect example of the right and left hands not doing things in coordination.

Or an example of one hand doing the right thing and the other hand not.

12 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

As you mentioned, Princess only offers one Internet speed with a different amount of connections as the only way to customize the plan.  I'm sure they think it's "premium ("The best WiFi at sea!!"), but your speed at home is probably a lot faster than it will be on the ship.  For more details, or if you want to kill a few minutes, here's the Princess link to its Internet service:  https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ocean-medallion/medallionnet/ .

When the Princess high-speed Internet works, it is among the best at sea.

One problem is as you go north, you get out of range of the high speed satellites and the Internet speed becomes much less.

I do not know how far north the ship has to be to have the Internet slow down. Maybe someone can post if it is still high speed when in Vancouver or Victoria. If it isn't, it may not be able to support the monitored tests, especially if a number of passengers are trying to do it at the same time.

8 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Yeahbut - where is the hour to measure against?  Departure time?  Doesn't make sense since everyone is on board well before that - and it may be delayed.  Your individual check-in time?  That could make sense, but early check-ins don't always go right onto the ship.  But it is probably the best idea. 

I suppose a similar measurement for flights is the flight departure time, but pax generally only board in the last few minutes before departure whereas a cruise guest can be on board 4-5 hours before departure.  As an early boarder, I might not be happy to have my valid test at 10:30am be considered invalid because the ship doesn't leave until 5:00pm.

Canada regulations say within 72 hours of "scheduled boarding". I take that to mean the time on the Princess  itinerary it says boarding will begin, which in my case is 12:30 Alaska time...which is 4:30 p.m. EDT. 

10 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

My son works for CRA. I'll call him this morning and tell him he hasn't been working for the last 2 years.  I wonder what he has been doing in his home office all that time. 🤔

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

My son works for CRA. I'll call him this morning and tell him he hasn't been working for the last 2 years.  I wonder what he has been doing in his home office all that time. 🤔

It is CBSA that staffs NEXUS offices...  surely they collect taxes

14 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I can say that anything government in Canada has been WAY reduced in service level and they don't seem to care that the rest of us are back to living and working.  The passport application/renewal process is way backlogged.  

This is of limited relevance to the topic, but I applied for an expedited passport renewal in the U.S. back in December.  I got the new passport three weeks later.  Processing here has come a long way from 2020 and early 2021.  I'm sorry things are still bogged down in Canada.  Passports are important.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2022 at 8:10 PM, ebeluga said:

The program should be renamed to "Cruise with No Confidence". Lol.

"Live with fear" is a more proper approach.  Just a reminder - "Anticipation of death is worse than death itself."

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

No need to wait until morning - do it the evening before disembarking.

You may have issues with the WiFi on our latest cruise it dropped us numerous times. Worse the further north we got. Disembarked in Vancouver

• Like 1