Food Quality on Marina/Riviera/Vista versus R-Class

loriva

Apologies in advance if this question has already been addressed.  I looked back through threads in 2022 and did not find it.

We booked our first cruise with Oceania this week--a Caribbean itinerary on Sirena in December 2024.  The Oceania agent spent some time trying to convince us to shift to an itinerary on Vista instead, saying he feared we would not like Sirena due to lack of specialty restaurants.  (We ultimately decided on the Sirena cruise because the itinerary on Vista is virtually identical to the one we had on Regent Explorer in December 2021.)

I do understand the smaller number of specialty restaurants on Sirena.  And we've sailed on the old Pacific Princess, so have experienced--and really liked--an R-class ship.  So those aspects are fine with us.

My question, therefore, is whether there is a significant difference in food quality between the larger and small ships on Oceania?  Or just the usual variation found on any line based on who is running the kitchen?  We're looking at this booking on Sirena as literally a "tasting" to see if Oceania is a candidate to become our new preferred cruise line.

Many thanks,

• Like 1

We have sailed on both the O and R class ships and found the same overall high quality of food on both.....the only difference is the extra specialty restaurants on the larger ships which broadens the places and cuisines available.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I’ve just come off both Sirena and Marina in the past month - both had well under occupancy, but Sirena had better prepared and nicer despite identical menus.

Whether that is the norm during normal sailings I couldn’t take say but there was a lack of care that took it’s toll on the food quality on Marina I found, where exceptional care was taken on Sirena. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I believe the head chefs drive the quality issue more than the ship. Those chefs move around.

During normal times, I believe the only difference is in the Terrace or Buffet. Not a quality issue, but with more people aboard I have found more selections on the O ships than R. Since we normally don’t eat in the Terrace as soon as the doors open, we have found more of an issue with keeping the food at proper temperature on the R ships. I don’t know if it’s an equipment issue or just less people producing less turns. 

• Thanks 2

The menus and recipes are in the O computer and are quite exacting. If a Chef in a Specialty restaurant puts out a “Special” for the evening like in Toscana and Jacques, it is still the O approved recipe. We have had some of those “specials” in Toscana, be it on an O or R ship, and they have been absolutely amazing. 
Since Sirena offers Red Ginger and all the wonderful dishes, that is different than any other R ship. We see the Miso Glazed Sea Bass in the GDR on R ships just to let you know what you are missing so Book Marina and Riviera. With Tuscan Steak on Sirena, they have included many Polo and Toscana dishes but not ALL of those served on Marina and Riviera. 

Every Chef does seem to add his flair or slight twist with approval by the Executive Chef, IMHO. The quality of the ingredients is not compromised but I am sure if a chef goes shopping and “picks up a few FRESH things” for a special meal, I am sure the taste can differ but my experience is it has always been for the better.

Just ENJOY THE O experience. 
Mauibabes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The ships get the same quality of food  

if the cooks  are not good it does not matter what ship you are on

We were on Riviera one yr 

the  food was  a problem in several venues

Maybe we just had bad luck  that cruise  all others since have been good 

not served raw chicken since  then  😲

I agree  with the above comment ..maybe some bonus  for the TA

If you sailed an R ship you have an idea of the room sizes 

Go for the itinerary & the one that suits you best

JMO

• Thanks 1

At first I agreed with speculation above that the Oceania sales person had some incentive to steer you toward Vista, but with Vista being a "hot" new ship, one would think incentives would be more likely to encourage bookings with smaller older ship or the older O ship, the Marina, which will remain un-refurbished and overdue for a makeover for most of next year, although by Jan. of 2024 it will be renovated. Could be that the agent was just sincerely offering advice that having more specialty restaurants would make for a more enjoyable cruise.

Edited by edgee
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, edgee said:

Could be that the agent was just sincerely offering advice that having more specialty restaurants would make for a more enjoyable cruise.

That's my take on it. 

It's really easy to be a cynical wise guy and accuse anyone who makes a recommendation of having an  ulterior motive. In this case the agent was presenting a simple fact...that Vista will have more specialty restaurants than Sirena, including two that are totally new to Oceania. I know I would find that attractive.

• Like 3

We sailed on the Riviera on Jan 28.  The food and service in all venues was EXCEPTIONAL.  We are on the Regatta now.  There are only two Specialty restaurants, Polo and Toscana.  Toscana has been closed since we boarded on May 3rd due to “operational issues” that we were told has to do with Covid.   We have eaten at Polo twice and multiple times in the Dining Room and the Terrace. The food and dining service on the entire ship(including Polo) is just ok.  The choices are just ok.  It is definitely not “the best cuisine at sea” that we experienced on the Riviera just three months ago.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

The difference between Marina and Sirena for me was very noticeable. Maybe it was because Sirena was returning to service and everyone was super eager, maybe it was because Sirena was a TA and Marina was a 7 day port intensive, maybe it was because Marina was basically a ghost ship of 320 passengers, maybe it was because I know the ship had a covid issue with the crew. 

There are a multitude of factors during this restart period, and I am more than willing to give them a let but seeing the difference in quality between two identical menus was interesting to say the least. Maybe if it hadn’t been 10 or so days between different ships I would have not noticed. 

Riviera at Christmas will be very interesting, with all the reimagining and it being a holiday cruise as well. Hopefully no masks, less covid issues. 

I enjoy Oceania and apart from a brief flirt with Regent in 2024 purely because of a bucket list itinerary I don’t think I could cruise on another line and enjoy that certain something that Oceania does so well that fits us so well, but if it hits the median of Marina this last cruise I may have to make some difficult choices. 

Thanks to all for weighing in.  Very helpful.

As to incentive, the cruise on the Vista is much more expensive.  That would make a difference in terms of commission for an outside TA, but not sure about those employed directly by Oceania.

Wife and I found the food outstanding on Riviera in 12/2021 and booked a cruise on Sirena for 11/2022. While I enjoyed all four of the specialty restaurants (my wife, not liking Asian, did NOT care for Red Ginger), my preference is for the Terrace Cafe. Eating outside under the stars aft. That's what cruising is about. So I'll take the grilled lobster, steak, shrimp and lamb every night over sitting in a specialty restaurant with no or few windows and a limited view.

• Like 4

I have only been with Oceania twice and only on Riviera , and are booked for this Sept once again on Riviera . I found the food wonderful both times , my husband and I generally eat in the buffet for breakfast and lunch but some days we like to take our lunch in the dining room , I think you will enjoy all offerings , there is something for all palates , we found Red Ginger ok but not flavoursome enough for us , the only criticisms I would have is that the menus are a little dated  especially in Polo, and Toscana is American Italian, but that is really nit picking. I would guess that with the the additional venues on Vista you may get a more modern cuisine. 
You will have a great holiday and I suggest you go on a diet before you travel 

I was on the Marina transatlantic and subsequent cruise from Rome to Trieste from March 19 to April 21.  The food and service was very disappointing.  Many servers that did not know how to serve, and lots of the food was not properly cooked.  The cruise in general was so disappointing that we cancelled an Oceania cruise for next summer.  Sorry for the bad news! We had cruised on the Marina precovid, and it was completely different.  A really great experience.

The best food we have had on any ship was on the little Insignia and that was in the Terrace and Md.

It was pre covid.

We returned in April from being on the Riviera. The food in the Terrace was just ok. Specialty restaurants were nothing special. MD also just ok. No comparison with what we experienced on the Insignia pre covid. 

It could be that staff were new. Covid has caused a large turn over of staff. They have less experience, less guidance. 

I must also qualify that I am very fine tuned to tastes and quality of food. Others not so much. What is awful for me, is ok for others. What is ok for me is good for others. 

• Like 2

JMO

I think  many get wrapped up in the marketing

Best food at sea  

They can have quality ingredients  but  if the cooks do not know how to cook the dish or follow the recipes   then it does not matter if they use 00 flour or French Butter etc..

As mentioned  the staff may be new to Oceania  or new to cruise ship life  so are still learning & adjusting

Post covid  could also bring other problems they did not encounter pre covid

Food supplies may not be  the same

I know getting some items in our local store is a challenge some weeks

Not all businesses are back to full capacity if they are even in business due to  the pandemic

Yes we expect  for the $$ that Oceania will be perfect 

sometimes life  just does not live up to our expectations

YMMV

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I believe people just overhype the expectations. The PG wouldn’t be listed as a Top 10 Steakhouse here in the area, nor Toscana a Top Italian diner. Doesn’t mean they’re bad or even poor restaurants, just have to keep it all in perspective. If you port in Naples, or most any Italian city, where do you think the pizza aboard ship would rank with what you’d get in town? Things need to be kept in perspective.

Our Kroger regularly has the frozen lobster tails, just like those on ship, for sale at $5.99 each. My wife prepares them, better than those onboard, and they make a nice meal. I love fresh main lobster, but just don’t understand the rave reviews those lobsters in the Terrace get. People read the comments on here and then expect some earth moving meal with the frozen baby lobster tails. Expectations demolished. 

Oceania typically has good food. Maybe even the finest cuisine at sea. The meals in La Reserve are typically delicious. Otherwise, one must keep expectations in check and just enjoy the food, the company, the wine, and the experience in front of them . 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Our Kroger regularly has the frozen lobster tails, just like those on ship, for sale at $5.99 each. My wife prepares them, better than those onboard, and they make a nice meal. I love fresh main lobster, but just don’t understand the rave reviews those lobsters in the Terrace get. People read the comments on here and then expect some earth moving meal with the frozen baby lobster tails. Expectations demolished. 

I have to agree with you about the lobster... never my choice on board. But then again we are from New England, so self-admittedly (and perhaps unfairly) our baseline expectations for lobster in general may be "earth moving".

Edited by clairol

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

finest cuisine at sea.

I think that marketing slogan can really set Oceania up for a fall. Individuals have individual expectations but, when you've read that, your expectations are going to be high.

We did 2 cruises on O so far, both on the Riviera, on in 2018 and one in 2021. We felt the food was outstanding in all venues, and very similar both times. Of course food is very subjective, but this was our experience.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

We did 2 cruises on O so far, both on the Riviera, on in 2018 and one in 2021. We felt the food was outstanding in all venues, and very similar both times. Of course food is very subjective, but this was our experience.

Ah, but the issue becomes when we try to add objectively. Subjectively you can say the Polo Grill was outstanding. Ok, do you believe it better than Flemings Steak House? If not, how would you rate Flemings? Very outstanding or exceptional? Placing its quality in relation to other similar themed restaurants creates objectivity.

Something we do with wine all the time. Saying a wine is good or very good means little, until you say “I rate it as a 88 or 92” and we know how you rate other wines.

• Like 1

I'm from Canada so not really familiar with Flemings Steak House. But I ate in many excellent restaurants in many countries. Just came back from Israel which in my opinion has one of the best cuisines. In my opinion, O cuisine is at the same level as some of the best restaurants on land.

I cannot comment on the quality of the wine or other drinks since we don't drink.

But then again, it IS subjective. When we sailed on Crystal in 2019, we found the food also excellent, but we liked O better. Some people who sailed on both said there is no comparison (they liked Crystal food much better).

It's also a matter of what you like. Many people consider the Red Ginger the best specialty restaurant, but I don't like Asian food, so to me it really wasn't attractive.  

My comment was also regarding the quality pre covid and post covid, on the same ship (Riviera) - personally I didn't feel any difference, for better or worse. And it's definitely few levels above Celebrity.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2022 at 2:59 PM, njhorseman said:

That's my take on it. 

It's really easy to be a cynical wise guy and accuse anyone who makes a recommendation of having an  ulterior motive. In this case the agent was presenting a simple fact...that Vista will have more specialty restaurants than Sirena, including two that are totally new to Oceania. I know I would find that attractive.

I'm not a cynical wise guy. Far from it.

I simply suggested that it is a possibility that the agent is ill-informed or there is a financial incentive for booking Vista..

Edited by Rob the Cruiser