Steakhouse Dresscode?

Having debate on what is required/recommended dress code for steakhouse on cruise?  We are personally attending on the first night, thoughts?  Are requirements different on first night from 2nd or 3rd night if we choose to go back again?  Do they enforce a dress code more strictly in the steakhouse vs. the main dining room?  Thank you for your feedback.

• Like 1

On the Panorama 2 months ago husband decided to be a rebel as wore shorts, nice shorts. The hostess told him he couldn't be seated until he changed to long pants, she said it could be jeans but had to be long pants. I was allowed to be seated while he went to change.

Sitting at Alchemy a few times I saw people turned away that were wearing shorts, both men and women.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, LatinaInTexas said:

On the Panorama 2 months ago husband decided to be a rebel as wore shorts, nice shorts. The hostess told him he couldn't be seated until he changed to long pants, she said it could be jeans but had to be long pants. I was allowed to be seated while he went to change.

Sitting at Alchemy a few times I saw people turned away that were wearing shorts, both men and women.

Wow, they didn't tell me this. I would have promptly left and told them where they could shove their dress code. They gave me a window seat even. I'll bet they are glad they did too, seeing as how we tipped very heavy there, pretty much gave them all the 50% wine discounts in cash and a nice tip on top of that. That would have been their costly mistake. 

21 minutes ago, MalteseFred said:

Thanks for the million laughs, especially the Alchemy BS. 

So do the Alchemy servers came out from BEHIND the bar to see what the seated patrons

are wearing? lmao lmao lmao

Thanks,

Fred

Nooooo Alchemy is across from the steakhouse so while people watching having a drink I saw them turned away from the steakhouse🤦

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Wow, they didn't tell me this. I would have promptly left and told them where they could shove their dress code. They gave me a window seat even. I'll bet they are glad they did too, seeing as how we tipped very heavy there, pretty much gave them all the 50% wine discounts in cash and a nice tip on top of that. That would have been their costly mistake. 

The reason he wore pants is because he asked a server in the MDR that since you could wear shorts there if he could wear them at the steakhouse. She said yes it's his vacation they won't tell you what to wear. If it's a rule I would follow but if it's a pick and choose rule then I will make a fuss next time lol.

These posts always make me laugh!  I just want to make sure that in all of this It is our anniversary when we get on the ship and also happens to be embarkation day, we DO NOT like to dress up, and I'd prefer to be able to go in in shorts/shirt, or a sundress, and husband/kids cargo shorts/shirts?  Since it's the first day are they more relaxed on enforcing the dress code if they do in fact choose to do so?

Edited by Laplayaperson
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, LatinaInTexas said:

The reason he wore pants is because he asked a server in the MDR that since you could wear shorts there if he could wear them at the steakhouse. She said yes it's his vacation they won't tell you what to wear. If it's a rule I would follow but if it's a pick and choose rule then I will make a fuss next time lol.

The server in the MDR was right, the dress code doesn't change for each restaurant, it's whatever it is for the ship that day and cruise casual is fine, only on "dress up" night do they want pants and it includes the other optional restaurants as well. It may just be the totality of dress, if he had a nice shirt and shoes I really couldn't see them denying him seating, jean shorts and tshirt with dirty tennis shoes may garner a different response than a nice collard button down, dressy shorts and stylish shoes.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Laplayaperson said:

These posts always make me laugh!  I just want to make sure that in all of this It is our anniversary when we get on the ship and also happens to be embarkation day, we DO NOT like to dress up, and I'd prefer to be able to go in in shorts/shirt, or a sundress, and husband/kids cargo shorts/shirts?  Since it's the first day are they more relaxed on enforcing the dress code if they do in fact choose to do so?

You'll be fine, cruise casual is fine, though I'd avoid super casual.

• Like 1

It also depends on the ship. Magic allows shorts except elegant night. Spirit doesn’t allow shorts at all. This is for men. I don’t remember the ship at the time, but we have had the steakhouse call to let us know the men could wear shorts that night.

2 hours ago, mz-s said:

Embarkation day is come as you are all around the ship.

My wife nearly freaked out at our first steakhouse experience on Valor, but relaxed when she saw someone else wearing a Skynyrd t-shirt and a rebel hat.

The actual answer, according to Carnival's website: 

The steakhouse has an intimate but fun atmosphere, so it can be as romantic for couples as it can be comfortable for family dinners. For all the elegance Steakhouse offers, why not dress the part? The dress code for Steakhouse is the same as the evening’s onboard dress code: either cruise casual or cruise elegant. Here are the quick differences — and remember, no shorts allowed in Steakhouse:

• Cruise casual for women: casual and summer dresses, skirts, pants, Capri pants and nice jeans
  • Cruise casual for men: sports slacks, khakis, nice jeans, collared sport shirts
  • Cruise elegant for women: cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and dresses or an evening gown if you wish
  • Cruise elegant for men: dressy slacks and shirts, and a sports coat is suggested; suits and ties or tuxedos also welcome

DH and I ate at the Steakhouse on the Magic last week and he wore long pants. I honestly don't recall what other men were wearing. He is used to having to wear long pants for dinner on our Holland America cruises (except shorts are fine in the Lido Buffet for dinner) so it's no big deal.

28 minutes ago, IrritatedEllipses said:

I asked before and was told first night is casual, subsequent nights would be a bit more formal. I wore jeans and a button down shirt and didn't get looked at twice. 

Actually, now that I'm thinking about this I'm a little upset. I looked darn good in that shirt and those jeans really showed off my calves. Those once-lookers don't know what they were missing. 

• Haha 1

We've been to the steakhouse on several ships. The first time I was sent back to the cabin to put pants on the first night (I don't remember which ship it was). Other times I've been told no jeans or shorts. On the Panorama last November, I wore khaki shorts on elegant night no problem. I did have a screenshot of when I made the reservations that stated "Cruise Casual", so if they gave me a hard time I could whip that out. Recently on the Magic, again on a elegant night, I wore khaki shorts and was not turned away. In fact they were seating people who were wearing t-shirts and jean shorts. I am of the opinion that what other people wear has no bearing on my dining experience! I'm on vacation!

IMG_0024.jpg

Edited by MTtraveler
  • Like 1

My FIL had an issue with his feat swelling. He was embarrassed to have to wear sneakers. But after being seated and seeing people in shorts, T-shirt’s, track pants ... he felt a little better. And the food tasted just as good.