Advice for Athens

Soph94

We had to the postpone the cruise we were meant to be going on today due to covid and have rebooked for the 30th June. We had initially booked the Acropolis, Museum and Plaka tour and were working on the presumption that this or something similar would be available on the new cruise. I had a look at the shore excursion options today and not a single trip is actually going to the Acropolis, which is weird to say the least!

As anyone done it themselves before and have any recommendations of who to book with. Or if you've done just done the transfer to Athens options, how easy is it to get up the the Acropolis?

23 minutes ago, Soph94 said:

We had to the postpone the cruise we were meant to be going on today due to covid and have rebooked for the 30th June. We had initially booked the Acropolis, Museum and Plaka tour and were working on the presumption that this or something similar would be available on the new cruise. I had a look at the shore excursion options today and not a single trip is actually going to the Acropolis, which is weird to say the least!

As anyone done it themselves before and have any recommendations of who to book with. Or if you've done just done the transfer to Athens options, how easy is it to get up the the Acropolis?

We have done it twice on excursions. Last time we just got the HoHo bus and got off at the Acropolis.

• Like 1

Go as early as possible in the day. As Lindyloo says above it gets unbearably hot after mid day. The queues are also usually a bit shorter.

Take lots of water. Also wear sturdy shoes as the way up can be a bit slippy where the stone is rubbed smooth (almost broke my ankle there).

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

Go as early as possible in the day. As Lindyloo says above it gets unbearably hot after mid day. The queues are also usually a bit shorter.

Take lots of water. Also wear sturdy shoes as the way up can be a bit slippy where the stone is rubbed smooth (almost broke my ankle there).

IMO the Acropolis would require special walkways if it was in the UK. Absolutely lethal if it rains. That climb is steep in places. I could not do it now.

• Like 1

I was reading about this on another forum, It said good advice was to get off as early as possible and get a taxi over. It'd cost about €30 but means you get there before the crowds and can explore when it's cooler. Afterwards you can just get a bus or metro back to the ship. You can find walking guides online. 

Thank you for all the advice - really helpful to know! We're just waiting to here back from someone who knows someone who lives in Athens to check there isn't a reason P&O wouldn't be offering a tour to the Acropolis while we're there.

7 hours ago, Amyracecar said:

I was reading about this on another forum, It said good advice was to get off as early as possible and get a taxi over. It'd cost about €30 but means you get there before the crowds and can explore when it's cooler. Afterwards you can just get a bus or metro back to the ship. You can find walking guides online. 

Not a bad price considering the cost of the drop off through the ship!

On 5/12/2022 at 5:45 AM, Soph94 said:

I had a look at the shore excursion options today and not a single trip is actually going to the Acropolis, which is weird to say the least!

Are you there on the first Sunday of the month, by chance? If so, there is a tradition of free admission on that day (I can't find whether this has been announced for 2022) -- it could be that the cruise lines don't offer tours on that day as it will likely be very crowded. If you find out this is the case, it's more important than ever to try to get to the Acropolis as soon as possible after docking. Taxis are readily available outside the main port entrance.

Edited to add:  Another thought -- is it possible that excursions on this cruise have already "sold out"?  As you're joining it rather late, that may be another possibility....

Edited by cruisemom42

On 5/13/2022 at 2:16 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Are you there on the first Sunday of the month, by chance? If so, there is a tradition of free admission on that day (I can't find whether this has been announced for 2022) -- it could be that the cruise lines don't offer tours on that day as it will likely be very crowded. If you find out this is the case, it's more important than ever to try to get to the Acropolis as soon as possible after docking. Taxis are readily available outside the main port entrance.

Edited to add:  Another thought -- is it possible that excursions on this cruise have already "sold out"?  As you're joining it rather late, that may be another possibility....

Nope, it's a Monday we'll be going.

I did think initially that it might be sold out but there are a fair few trips sold out at ports and they're still available to see on the website.

One of the other tours, where you view it from a distance, mentions about scaffolding being up. So do wonder if that might be why, but get the impression there is usually something!

38 minutes ago, Soph94 said:

What sort of price would we be looking at for that?

Here is a good tour company. Go to their website to see the prices.  They are comparable to other companies.

George's Taxi

taxigreece.com 

I was just in Athens on May 7th and had no problem getting into the Acropolis.  Entry fee is 20 euro and agree it is a long climb so pace yourself and bring water.  There are bathrooms and a snack shop at the bottom.  We were staying in Athens the night before leaving on a cruise not far from the Acropolis.  We paid 20 euro for a taxi ride to the port.

• Thanks 1

Hi all, do you recommend booking a ticket for the Acropolis in advance? We had an excursion booked but just realised it doesn't actually include it - just "a view from below"! We'll be travelling mid-June on a Wednesday. 

2 hours ago, FionaL91 said:

Hi all, do you recommend booking a ticket for the Acropolis in advance? We had an excursion booked but just realised it doesn't actually include it - just "a view from below"! We'll be travelling mid-June on a Wednesday. 

Yes. It will be very crowded  this summer.  You could save a lot of time by getting your tickets in advance. 

• Like 1