Hey Diddley Dee, An Inside's Fine For Me

I've been on just over fifty cruises and around forty with She Who Must Be Obeyed (SWMBO).  When SWMBO cruises with me, a balcony is mandatory as it's her private sanctuary.

That being said, when I cruise alone and have to pony up for the single supplement, I've always selected an Inside Luxury Suite.  I did so first as a cost savings move, but as time goes on I've come to prefer an inside and always have my reservation marked "No Upgrades".  With a balcony cabin, I might step out to check the weather in the morning and maybe watch the moon/stars in the evening before turning in.  When I think about the cost of the time I'm actually on the balcony, it's hundreds of dollars compared to the cost of my inside - hundreds of dollars that I can use for another cruise perhaps. 

I use my Inside Luxury Suite for sleeping and as a changing room.  The rest of the ship is the same for me to enjoy as somebody who sails in a balcony or a suite.  Most of my waking hours I'm out and about on the ship, especially the shady side of the promenade where a comfortable lounger, a good book, and a travel mug of coffee is one of life's pleasures. 

Just some thoughts.

• Like 4

I am the same.  When I sailed with my sister, I tried to afford a balcony, because she liked to sit out and read.  But I found I was seldom on it.  Now that she is gone, I am back to insides, or whatever is a real bargain.  I prefer to be outside the cabin, sampling the other features I’ve paid for, and people watching.  EM

• Like 2

On 5/12/2022 at 9:26 AM, SargassoPirate said:

I did so first as a cost savings move, but as time goes on I've come to prefer an inside and always have my reservation marked "No Upgrades". 

I recently dipped my toe into solo cruising. I booked an inside for all the reasons you mentioned. I was looking forward to the experience and even purchased a sunrise alarm clock to help with the potential disorientation waking up.

Then came an awesome upgrade offer to a large balcony and I couldn't resist. But low and behold as a solo I never spent any time on that balcony.

I have another solo booked but this time I have a window with a partially blocked view. It's classified as an inside but some natural light gets in. I'm not sure if I would upgrade again.... My plan truly is to use inside cabins when I travel solo... maybe it will happen this time lol.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When our kids were small and still cruised with us in one cabin, a balcony was "a must".  It essentially gave us another room for less money.  It gave us parents a spot to sit after we put the kids to bed, in the afternoons it gave our quiet daughter a place to sit alone and decompress, and it gave Dad a place to disappear while his daughters dressed for dinner.  That balcony was USED!

Now that our kids are adults, we're about to try our first inside.  I think we're going to be happy.  

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Am looking at cruising (solo) in the fall and am intrigued by RCCL virtual balcony..esentially an inside with a real time image of outdoors projected on wall...will probably book one cause my only gripe with inside is that you have no idea what the weather is..how sunny etc...should be interesting

• 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, grest said:

what is a luxury inside?

It's my own description of my carefully selected inside - cabins above, below, and across the corridor so that it's quiet.  My own little oasis on the seas.  Hence - Luxury Inside Suite. 😉

• Like 1

It depends on the cruise length and size of the inside cabin.  Some of the modern ships have reduced the insides that they remind me of the capsule hotels you see in the travel press.  If it is less than 2 weeks and adequately sized I definitely don’t need a window.  I love the darkness and the air conditioning seems to work better too.  If it is a long cruise and I am bringing my house with me I need a little more space.  If I can find one of those special insides I am happy to take it 

On 6/23/2022 at 7:29 PM, elgato2 said:

Am looking at cruising (solo) in the fall and am intrigued by RCCL virtual balcony..esentially an inside with a real time image of outdoors projected on wall...will probably book one cause my only gripe with inside is that you have no idea what the weather is..how sunny etc...should be interesting

I just watched this You Tube channel last night -- they give details about the Virtual Balcony, and it's not positive.  Doesn't the TV still have the deck channel?  Is that the right name?  We're planning to leave it on all the time so we can see the weather /time of day.  

On 7/19/2022 at 5:59 PM, grest said:

what is a luxury inside?

It's a cool name, which I fully plan to steal on our upcoming cruise, for the cheapest cabin on the ship.  My husband and I are pretty excited about trying out a "Luxury Inside".  

I'd argue that any room where someone makes your bed, takes away your trash and brings you fresh towels is a LUXURY room.  Hey, it occurs to me that my husband lives in a luxury bedroom at home.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Haha 4