Luggage... and shrink wrap.

Well, perhaps it is stretch wrap.  The clear plastic material.  My question is.. what is the reason for using it?  I have traveled perhaps 4 or 5 times in that last twelve months.  And, I am seeing person's luggage wrapped in plastic.  Am I missing something?  Is it for the reason someone does not wish that their suitcase is scratched?

Just wondering.

---Matthew

Theft deterrent. 

I asked the same thing after seeing many people using the machines in BsAs and Santiago airports. There were a number of young ladies soccer players who were flying domestically and they all had their luggage wrapped.

18 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Theft deterrent. 

I asked the same thing after seeing many people using the machines in BsAs and Santiago airports. There were a number of young ladies soccer players who were flying domestically and they all had their luggage wrapped.

Tioga..

Okay, forgive me... "the machines".  And, what is a BsAs?  Sorry, I guess I'm a bit lost here.  Umm, theft?

---Matthew

In Buenos Aires and Santiago there are machines in the departures area where you can have your suitcases wrapped in plastic before you get in line to check in. 

People have been known to get into suitcases and take things of value. Or not of value, for that matter. Since locking your luggage isn't always possible, and soft-sided luggage is easily broken into, having it plastic wrapped is a deterrent. 

Another thing.. is this.. the last 4 airports I traveled to, when you obtain your luggage from the carousel.. there is NOT any sort of clerk/security to match your claimcheck/stub/bar-coke to your piece of luggage.  They could sprout legs ---- and, just leave!    (Kind of off topic, but wanted to bring that up also!)

I've seen the wrapping machine at the airport in Montreal. I suppose it's an extra layer of security against theft, and also some protection against flimsy luggage latches or zippers that risk spilling a bag's contents all over the baggage carousel.

Here’s one of the machines in the airport in Buenos Aires (BsAs). They were located pre-security.

After my first South America trip I talked about that with a friend from Peru. Her mother had flown from Lima to LAX and back, and on the return leg, she had several blouses and a coat taken from her checked bag. She didn’t unpack for awhile after returning, but did report it when she found out. At that time there was a ring working LAX in the LAN terminal.

When I went for a second trip, I used packing cubes, and put then all in a heavy contractors bag, and sealed it with tape inside the bag. So if anything was tampered with, I would have a clue. This was also some protection from the elements. Also I got a slip on neoprene cover to cover the belly of my bag and a locking strap. While not totally protecting the bag, it at least “ hardened the target”. 😉

And it made it easy to spot.

F85E0AD3-A6B0-4C20-96ED-D814FF3E1898.jpeg

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 4

Also - after getting our soft-sided luggage drenched on the pier in San Diego, I thought it might be a good idea....now I'm going to try & line them with garbage bags & see how packing them goes.