Uograde to Premium Beverage Package not worth the money

drakes2

Earlier in this thread when I suggested sending concerns about the Premium Drink Package offerings and availability by e-mail to Celebrity’s CEO, one response by a reader was it would fall on deaf ears. Well, that is not true. I emailed a nice but truthful email about the shortcomings to Celebrity’s CEO this afternoon. Within 2 hours (and it even being a holiday weekend), she had forwarded it to a supervisor in Celebrity’s Engagement Center who immediately called me. We discussed the issue of non-premium wines being the only wines offered on the premium package on multiple ships. She said she would escalate the issue. Perhaps if they heard the premium drink package issues from a few others, the message would resonate even more. I’m a firm believer that management doesn’t know every issue and they tend to focus on ones that are brought to their attention so I tried to do my part on this issue. 

• Like 7

We have been increasingly disappointed in the low end wine and spirits being offered on the “premium” package.    In April, it was so bad on the Edge that there were no bottles of Pinot Noir offered in the Retreat Lounge and only Cherry Tart offered by the glass in all the bar venues.  The best Pinot Noir offered by the glass was the Kendall Jackson in specialty restaurants and Luminae.  For my DH there wasn’t any Caymus Cabernet or Mer Soleil at any venue on board.   The bourbon choices were even more pitiful.  We noted this on our post cruise comments but I don’t think Celebrity cares.  

As a result, in July, we’ll be bringing our two bottles of wine on board.  I only wish we could bring more as two bottles won’t last very long!

We’re also researching other lines to see if they’re having the same issues and if not, we’ll be trying another cruise brand.  

6 hours ago, cmoore5524 said:

Earlier in this thread when I suggested sending concerns about the Premium Drink Package offerings and availability by e-mail to Celebrity’s CEO, one response by a reader was it would fall on deaf ears. Well, that is not true. I emailed a nice but truthful email about the shortcomings to Celebrity’s CEO this afternoon. Within 2 hours (and it even being a holiday weekend), she had forwarded it to a supervisor in Celebrity’s Engagement Center who immediately called me. We discussed the issue of non-premium wines being the only wines offered on the premium package on multiple ships. She said she would escalate the issue. Perhaps if they heard the premium drink package issues from a few others, the message would resonate even more. I’m a firm believer that management doesn’t know every issue and they tend to focus on ones that are brought to their attention so I tried to do my part on this issue. 

Thank you.  I saw no response to my email.  But I have no status.

Another poster said it’s a supply chain problem.  I don’t care if it’s a supply chain issue.  What is X going to do about it?  They should be finding substitutions if something is unavailable. 

Just got off Apex on Thursday 26. Went to 2 premium wine tastings. At one the cellar master was commenting on their wine procurement issues. I did not hear all she had to say, but I did hear that Covid may be affecting supplies of grapes at some vineyards (implying that during 2020-21, some winemakers had to make lower quantities of wine) as well as all along the supply chain. She said they ran out of wines on TA. And were  out of Caymus(which surprised me a bit, since that’s one of their featured/sponsored companies). She did not say this outright, but it made me wonder if the situation was going to last for awhile (year or so).

Dont they have to procure their wine through distributor in Miami? I bet, given archaic liquor laws in US, that if they bought quantities wine in another home port, they would have to segregate or figure out to pay the Miami taxes?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ohiopops4 said:

We have been increasingly disappointed in the low end wine and spirits being offered on the “premium” package.    In April, it was so bad on the Edge that there were no bottles of Pinot Noir offered in the Retreat Lounge and only Cherry Tart offered by the glass in all the bar venues.  The best Pinot Noir offered by the glass was the Kendall Jackson in specialty restaurants and Luminae.  For my DH there wasn’t any Caymus Cabernet or Mer Soleil at any venue on board.   The bourbon choices were even more pitiful.  We noted this on our post cruise comments but I don’t think Celebrity cares.  

As a result, in July, we’ll be bringing our two bottles of wine on board.  I only wish we could bring more as two bottles won’t last very long!

We’re also researching other lines to see if they’re having the same issues and if not, we’ll be trying another cruise brand.  

@ohiopops4similar issues on last cruise. I remember one evening at martini bar the server offered to make me a special martini after I told him what liquors I liked he went into another room and returned with some awful weak concoction. I took a sip and went to the World Class Bar. How would one know if they really use grey goose unless you watch them make the drink. If they can substitute the basic package for the premium then one assumes they can also give you a lower quality alcohol.  I usually travel solo so my two bottles from home will be enough along with my HH drinks. 

2 hours ago, cangelmd said:

Just got off Apex on Thursday 26. Went to 2 premium wine tastings. At one the cellar master was commenting on their wine procurement issues. I did not hear all she had to say, but I did hear that Covid may be affecting supplies of grapes at some vineyards (implying that during 2020-21, some winemakers had to make lower quantities of wine) as well as all along the supply chain. She said they ran out of wines on TA. And were  out of Caymus(which surprised me a bit, since that’s one of their featured/sponsored companies). She did not say this outright, but it made me wonder if the situation was going to last for awhile (year or so).

Dont they have to procure their wine through distributor in Miami? I bet, given archaic liquor laws in US, that if they bought quantities wine in another home port, they would have to segregate or figure out to pay the Miami taxes?

Did they address the issue of paying for premium wine and getting classic?

On 5/30/2022 at 5:59 AM, ohiopops4 said:

Rules have changed I believe and it’s two bottles per person now

I guess we shall see what is available when I sail this summer.  However, the only reason I upgraded was the OBC offer that came with it.  Otherwise, I would have just stuck with the basic package provided with AI.  The OBC was too good to pass up as it was close enough to the cost of the upgrade to make us happy.  It was basically like paying for OBC to be on our account.

We have found that most of the Premium wines by the glass that we prefer are becoming scarce. During a wine tasting, all of the bottles sampled were from their sommelier packages. Perhaps going forward, instead of upgrading to the Premium Drink Package from Classic, we will stick to Classic and opt for one or two of the wine packages.  We plan to purchase the package onboard, after looking at the list of wines available. 

46 minutes ago, Maggie North said:

We plan to purchase the package onboard, after looking at the list of wines available. 

Just because a wine is listed on the menu doesn't mean  its available onboard.  The better wines are depleted very quickly and you most likely won't find them again on your sailing. Just bring your own to avoid disappointment. 

44 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

Just because a wine is listed on the menu doesn't mean  its available onboard.  The better wines are depleted very quickly and you most likely won't find them again on your sailing. Just bring your own to avoid disappointment. 

So true!  I should have added…after talking to a sommelier to find out what is actually on board!!

39 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

The problem with bringing your own wine is twofold.  First, we fly to our cruise and get there the night before so finding a store to buy wine is not convenient or something we desire to do.  Second and more importantly, we have paid for the premium drink package so we should get "premium" quality wines from Celebrity.  They need to get their act together and fulfill what we are paying for (by virtue of either our Always Included fare or the upgrade to premium).  I was willing to give them some leeway due to the pandemic for a period of time, but it's time to move on and get the wine inventory back to what it should be on the ships.  If the issues continue, I question whether Celebrity's wine procurement department procedures and staff need scrutiny by management.

• Like 3

X is pushing people to bottle sales because they can’t or won’t supply “premium” wine by the glass.  But even there not all bottles are available either.

I went to a nice restaurant with a sommelier last weekend.  Nice guy but I really wanted to try wine A and he pushed me to wine B.  It was for the table so I said ok.  Usually I make my own decisions.

Edited by zitsky

On 5/29/2022 at 2:13 PM, padgman1 said:

What would people be willing to pay for a drink package that contained $30-40/ bottle wines and $ 50-70/ bottle bourbons and scotches as “all you can drink” selections?

The cost might be more per day than your room cost…in the Retreat.

I do agree with Whinenowine, a third drink package level with more interesting and appealing bourbons/scotches/whiskeys would be welcome.

I don't know how long some of you people discussing this have been around, but sometime in the past 10 years or so they did exactly what you are proposing. Obviously didn't work. I forget what they called it, but I'm pretty sure you could get Johnny Walker Blue and pretty much any high end scotch on board, not to mention better wines. Maybe not enough people that would really pony up for it? 

23 minutes ago, ORV said:

I don't know how long some of you people discussing this have been around, but sometime in the past 10 years or so they did exactly what you are proposing. Obviously didn't work. I forget what they called it, but I'm pretty sure you could get Johnny Walker Blue and pretty much any high end scotch on board, not to mention better wines. Maybe not enough people that would really pony up for it? 

Such a package probably cost 2 arms and 3 legs...along with a couple of ponies...

1 hour ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Hi

You know the old and still relevant saying……..

’Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit’😉

I guess anything seems low if you can’t understand it.  🙃

Milton Berle once called me the “king of sarcasm” when he came over that time for dinner in 2005.

6 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Has anyone talked to friends on other cruise lines to see if they are also having supply issues?

Try Googling "supply chain issues in the wine industry". It's a much larger issue than cruise ships. Nice but short article from Forbes concentrating on bottles and cardboard boxes, but there are other articles that look at other issues, such as shipping delays. I'm sure some of that also impacts liquor (whisk(e)y).  I certainly see bare shelves in the state stores here in Virginia. And I know my friend who runs a very nice wine shop has issues getting specific products, but his business model doesn't depend on having a constant supply of a specific wine. And there are folks here on Cruise Critic who are fortunate enough to not see any of that (so far).

Then you have the largely legally mandated post-Prohibition three-tier system which just adds another layer of complexity. Using the Wagner family (Caymus) as an example, Celebrity can't buy wine from Wagner in the United States; other than direct to consumer at the winery, Wagner has to sell their wine to distributors, who then sell it to Celebrity (or Marriott, or Total Wine, or your local restaurant). Those other parties have been buying wine for the last 2 1/2 years while the cruise lines haven't, and likely as not they're still buying those wines.

1 minute ago, zitsky said:

Milton Berle once called me the “king of sarcasm” when he came over that time for dinner in 2005.

I hope you don't have to explain that...

🙂

Sure. You change wines and adjust prices. Usually upwards. I'm sure it's complicated by trying to maintain consistency across the fleet, something Total Wine really doesn't do. You can search for wines on their site and find wines that aren't available in entire states, or sections of the country. Some of that's legal (label laws), but some of it's choice. And don't forget Costco, which is a major retailer of wines (and spirits in states where they can sell them).

It appears Celebrity didn't have a great plan, but they may have had a plan and couldn't execute it. We'll likely never know. If they wanted 500 (or 5000) cases of Caymus and Total Wine wanted the same cases, and had been steadily buying and selling the product, distributors would probably fill Total Wine's orders. And, again, legally Wagner has no control over that. They probably have some control over allocating product to to say Michigan or Florida, but if the Celebrity order comes out of the Florida allocation...

Sell cruises with All in and then not deliver. Shame on Celebrity and their suppliers.  There’s lots of good wine available.  Wine was one of the few things that I never found in short supply.   What’s next?  Check in and don’t sail. Gas supply low?  If you sell drinks included,  have the drinks available. 

• Like 1