Seabourn Ovation Formal Dress

badnews523

1 hour ago, cruiseej said:

It used to be, but times have changed. We go out to many nice restaurants, and I wear a sport jacket on occasion, but it's pretty rare nowadays. I'd say that 8, maybe 9, out of the last 10 times I've worn a sport jacket have been on a cruise!

I think mode of dress is a cultural thing--tied to locale, custom, and group.  In other words, what you deem appropriate to wear depends on your locale, what you are used to, and the people you associate with.  Quite simply it differs from place to place.  No wonder there is seldom agreement on whether or not a jacket is necessary most appropriate in the MDR on Seabourn.  

Of course there is also the culture of the ship.  But, even that is perceived differently by many.  According to the written suggested dress code, there is not a need to wear a jacket except on formal nights in the MDR.  In real practice, quite a few men wear a jacket every night in the MDR--just because doing so seems to suit the ambience of the restaurant.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1

Thanks SLSD

I  agree that there are many with jackets in the MDR. They seem fine people. I’m just not one of them and I hope I don’t offend them. We should all just enjoy a good meal. On a formal evening I choose to dine elsewhere out of respect for the code. No problem. I wouldn’t enter Buddhist shrines with my shoes on for the same reason.  We should respect other faiths and traditions until they die out.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, SLSD said:

In real practice, quite a few men wear a jacket every night in the MDR--just because doing so seems to suit the ambience of the restaurant.

Ypu. I don't wear one every night, but I typically wear one more than on just a required formal night, due to the ambience of the restaurant. But no one without a jacket would feel out of place, either. (Besides, the room is sometimes chilly, and the jacket provides welcome warmth! And if I've decided to wear a jacket and the Restaurant is on the warm side, off comes the jacket!)

• Like 1

I am on the Ovation. Last night was formal night.  Maybe 20% of men wore tuxes in the Restaurant. Just about all wore a jacket.

There are only 355 pax on board this week.  

Edited by marazul
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 6/7/2022 at 1:52 AM, marazul said:

I am on the Ovation. Last night was formal night.  Maybe 20% of men wore tuxes in the Restaurant. Just about all wore a jacket.

Off topic, but who is the Cruise Director?

Linda

• 2 weeks later...

We always sailed on Crystal, but are trying Seabourn shorttly. Wife and I ALWAYS enjoy dressing up on formal nights, and I brought a black tux, a couple different bow ties, vests and a white dinner jacket.

You know the song:  Cause every girl crazy 'bout a sharp-dressed man...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/15/2022 at 7:35 AM, Fletcher said:

On my last Seabourn cruise I never bothered to take a jacket.  And I won't on my next, on the Sojourn in the Med.  To each his or her own.  

My kind of guy! We’re going to be on a 20 day B2B on the Sojourn in the Med next July. Am I hearing you right. My son and I won’t have to buy dinner jackets for our cruise to wear on formal nights in the MDR? That would be great news!

On 6/7/2022 at 7:52 AM, marazul said:

So does this mean there were a few men dining in the MDR on formal night not wearing a jacket, but rather maybe just a button down shirt with a tie?

22 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

So does this mean there were a few men dining in the MDR on formal night not wearing a jacket, but rather maybe just a button down shirt with a tie?

Jacket is required as per the dress code guidance which is on the Seabourn website 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

Jacket is required as per the dress code guidance which is on the Seabourn website 

I just opened a separate thread for this question, but let me ask. Is it mandatory? Princess says a coat is required on their formal nights in their dress code guidance, but it is not mandatory whereas on Crystal, you weren’t allowed to be seated in the MDR on formal night without a coat on.

More simply, when we go to the MDR on Formal night, will we even be seated if we are not wearing at least a sports coat? I have to say that would be quite annoying to see someone not wearing at least a sports coat, but we had to.

52 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Nobody wore a shirt and tie with no jacket except for the waiters.  A very few wore linen shirts. 

10 minutes ago, marazul said:

Nobody wore a shirt and tie with no jacket except for the waiters.  A very few wore linen shirts. 

Thanks. That to me sounds like sport coats as a minimum are not required, only recommended. I just looked up what types of Linen Shirts for Men we could order on Amazon, as I had to be sure what you were referring to, and they looked nice but pretty casual at the same time.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

4 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

This is going to sound ugly---but WHO wears a button down shirt with a tie and no jacket?  I've never seen that particular combination as a mode of dress anywhere I have ever been (outside of junior high school) .  I can see a guy doing that in his own office with no one around if he wears a jacket and tie to work.  But certainly not to an occasion.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I just opened a separate thread for this question, but let me ask. Is it mandatory? Princess says a coat is required on their formal nights in their dress code guidance, but it is not mandatory whereas on Crystal, you weren’t allowed to be seated in the MDR on formal night without a coat on.

More simply, when we go to the MDR on Formal night, will we even be seated if we are not wearing at least a sports coat? I have to say that would be quite annoying to see someone not wearing at least a sports coat, but we had to.

"Required" and "mandatory" in the same sentence? Is there a difference?

8 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Thanks. That to me sounds like sport coats as a minimum are not required, only recommended. I just looked up what types of Linen Shirts for Men we could order on Amazon, as I had to be sure what you were referring to, and they looked nice but pretty casual at the same time.

Jackets, meaning sport coats or suit jackets, not dinner jackets or formal wear, are required to eat in the MDR on formal nights. Not simply recommended. Other nights more casual look is fine. Many of us enjoy getting slightly more dressed up on occasion and hopefully reflecting favorably on our wives lovely looks!

Try it it, you might like it. 

On 5/17/2022 at 11:33 AM, Fletcher said:

He can always borrow one from a waiter. 😉

In fact, this is why, when buying a white dinner jacket, you should look for and buy an off-white jacket.  The pure white jacket will make you look like a waiter.  The off-white should be an ivory, or winter white. 

5 hours ago, Rothko1 said:

In fact, this is why, when buying a white dinner jacket, you should look for and buy an off-white jacket.  The pure white jacket will make you look like a waiter.  The off-white should be an ivory, or winter white. 

I could image there are a few waiters that would not want to be mistaken for some of the passengers! 😉

• Haha 1