How bad is it when 3 ships are in port at the same time?

LB_NJ

Celebrity screwed things up and I expect that our cruise itinerary will change and that we (Celebrity Summit) will be tendered when 2 other 3000 PAX  ships are docked.

How bad will the port be congested (eg, buses, ferries, etc.)?

Should gave just booked an Oceania cruise and docked in Hamilton and St. George's.

2 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

Celebrity screwed things up and I expect that our cruise itinerary will change and that we (Celebrity Summit) will be tendered when 2 other 3000 PAX  ships are docked.

How bad will the port be congested (eg, buses, ferries, etc.)?

Should gave just booked an Oceania cruise and docked in Hamilton and St. George's.

I noticed that Summit is now anchoring part of the time next week. That means some tendering but it is somewhat confusing figuring out how they plan to do it. I guess they will undock when Enchantment arrives. But not sure since I see Pearl, Enchantment and Mariner overlapping. I would guess it will be congested.

My last cruise to Bermuda was on Oceania and that definitely spoiled me.

• 1 month later...

We will be sailing on Celebrity Summit to Bermuda. The ship will be at Kings Wharf. I looked online and discovered that there will be 3 ships in port on May 20 - Carnival Legend, Norwegian Joy, and Summit. The pier only has space for 2 ships. Which of the three will have to tender? Anyone know? TIA!

Edited by pisces223

32 minutes ago, pisces223 said:

We will be sailing on Celebrity Summit to Bermuda. The ship will be at Kings Wharf. I looked online and discovered that there will be 3 ships in port on May 20 - Carnival Legend, Norwegian Joy, and Summit. The pier only has space for 2 ships. Which of the three will have to tender? Anyone know? TIA!

NCL Joy and Celebrity Summit are "contract" ships. Those cruise lines have contracts with Bermuda giving them docking rights. The Carnival ship is an "occasional caller" so it will be anchored in Grassy Bay.

I assume you mean you'll be in port of July 20, not May 20 and if you look at the port schedule you'll see that the Carnival Legend will be anchored. http://www.marops.bm/Documents/Shipping_schedules/2022 Cruise Ship Schedule.pdf

22 hours ago, njhorseman said:

I assume you mean you'll be in port of July 20, not May 20 and if you look at the port schedule you'll see that the Carnival Legend will be anchored

OOPS! Yes, it is July 20, not May! Thanks for the catch. We were on the Solstice in Alaska on May 20!!! What was I thinking?? Thanks! 😉

Edited by pisces223

We were on Celebrity in Bermuda last week and there were 3 ships - two docked and one not.  We spoke with a couple on the ferry who said they were supposed to be docked(Norweigan ship) but got bumped by the Carnival ship.  They said the first day it took 3 hours to get to shore via tender and that there was poor communication between the staff and passengers about the situation( I have found that happens a lot when there is a problem).  I never saw this couple again so I cannot say if and when it got resolved.

We did not find that the island or Dockyard was overly crowded at all.

1 hour ago, dazey said:

We were on Celebrity in Bermuda last week and there were 3 ships - two docked and one not.  We spoke with a couple on the ferry who said they were supposed to be docked(Norweigan ship) but got bumped by the Carnival ship.  They said the first day it took 3 hours to get to shore via tender and that there was poor communication between the staff and passengers about the situation( I have found that happens a lot when there is a problem).  I never saw this couple again so I cannot say if and when it got resolved.

We did not find that the island or Dockyard was overly crowded at all.

The NCL ship (Joy) was docked. I clearly saw the Joy on the port webcam. It was the Carnival Legend that was anchored .The Carnival ship was never supposed to be docked...it was scheduled to be anchored, but Carnival may have neglected to tell its passengers, or perhaps some passengers were just assumed they would be docked.

I checked the Carnival Legend Roll Call and indeed a person did mention about the mess and disorganization in the tendering process.

NCL, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity ships that regularly cruise to Bermuda have docking priority under their contracts with Bermuda. Carnival does not .

3 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

I checked the Carnival Legend Roll Call and indeed a person did mention about the mess and disorganization in the tendering process.

Tendering always seems to be a mess when it happens there. Probably because it is rare. 

I did get the ships mixed up..  I do believe the cruise line tells you what they want you to know  to make it better for them.  Can understand that but it is so frustrating.  We were in Italy during a bad storm and docked at a small port to await better weather.  They suggested we take a bus back to Rome to meet our flight.  They said they would call us so many people(including us) sat in our cabins packed and ready to go from 8 PM until 3 AM when finally someone went down to the desk to check and they said it was determined to be too bad to drive and cancelled the bus around 11 PM.  Why not tell us??

It all worked out however.

Speaking of three's a crowd . . .

We're on the Celebrity Silhouette TA leaving Southampton on October 20.  We have a 24-hour port call in Bermuda on October 30-31, originally scheduled for 12:30pm-12:30pm.  Two weeks ago, Celebrity sent out an email to all guests notifying us of a change in our time in Bermuda to 3pm-3pm on Oct. 30-31.  The problem is that, at least as currently scheduled, we'll be overlapping with the Enchantment of the Seas, set to arrive on Oct. 31 at 1pm, both of us at Heritage Wharf.  (The NCL Pearl will be at Kings Wharf from Oct. 30-Nov. 1.)   

There was no issue at Heritage Wharf before the change in Celebrity's schedule  -- we would have been gone before Enchantment arrived.  I've checked RCI's web site, and it still shows Enchantment arriving at 1pm on Oct. 31.   (Bermuda's own Cruise Ship Schedule is dated as of June 8, before Celebrity announced the change to our schedule, so that's no help yet.) 

As contract ships, Enchantment and the Pearl will have docking priority, but Celebrity's notice to all guests of the Silhouette's schedule change shows us docked in Bermuda too.   I realize it's early and who knows what could happen in the schedule by October, but right now, Celebrity is telling us we'll be docked at Heritage Wharf until 3pm on Oct. 31, yet Enchantment is scheduled to dock there at 1pm on Oct. 31, two hour before we're supposed to leave.    😮

Has anyone seen a conflicting schedule like this before? 

On 7/4/2022 at 8:35 PM, Turtles06 said:

Speaking of three's a crowd . . .

We're on the Celebrity Silhouette TA leaving Southampton on October 20.  We have a 24-hour port call in Bermuda on October 30-31, originally scheduled for 12:30pm-12:30pm.  Two weeks ago, Celebrity sent out an email to all guests notifying us of a change in our time in Bermuda to 3pm-3pm on Oct. 30-31.  The problem is that, at least as currently scheduled, we'll be overlapping with the Enchantment of the Seas, set to arrive on Oct. 31 at 1pm, both of us at Heritage Wharf.  (The NCL Pearl will be at Kings Wharf from Oct. 30-Nov. 1.)   

There was no issue at Heritage Wharf before the change in Celebrity's schedule  -- we would have been gone before Enchantment arrived.  I've checked RCI's web site, and it still shows Enchantment arriving at 1pm on Oct. 31.   (Bermuda's own Cruise Ship Schedule is dated as of June 8, before Celebrity announced the change to our schedule, so that's no help yet.) 

As contract ships, Enchantment and the Pearl will have docking priority, but Celebrity's notice to all guests of the Silhouette's schedule change shows us docked in Bermuda too.   I realize it's early and who knows what could happen in the schedule by October, but right now, Celebrity is telling us we'll be docked at Heritage Wharf until 3pm on Oct. 31, yet Enchantment is scheduled to dock there at 1pm on Oct. 31, two hour before we're supposed to leave.    😮

Has anyone seen a conflicting schedule like this before? 

Maybe the Silhouette will leave an hour earlier, and the Adventure of the Seas will dock an hour later.Problem solved!!

Back six or seven years ago, we were on the Dawn and docked at Heritage Wharf. Due to some kind of miscommunication, there was a much larger ship coming in the next day, ( can't recall the ship), and we were docked in the wrong berth.  They announced that no one would be allowed on or off the ship from 9-11AM the next morning.   

So they then had to pick up the gangways, portable tents, towel  stations, etc. All the stuff they bring out . Then had to pull in the ropes, fire up the engines,  move down to King's Wharf, and set everything back up again.  Quite the chore to have to go through for the crew.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, cruiserbear55 said:

Maybe the Silhouette will leave an hour earlier, and the Adventure [sic, it's Enchantment] of the Seas will dock an hour later.Problem solved!!

LOL!   What makes the whole thing so absurd is that, as I noted above, the Silhouette was originally scheduled to depart at 12:30pm (which would have worked fine with Enchantment's 1pm arrival) and only recently changed that departure time to 3pm.   So weird!  

9 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

LOL!   What makes the whole thing so absurd is that, as I noted above, the Silhouette was originally scheduled to depart at 12:30pm (which would have worked fine with Enchantment's 1pm arrival) and only recently changed that departure time to 3pm.   So weird!  

RCI  has so many " of the seas" it's hard to keep track of them all. 26 last time I checked. But I should have checked your post again to make sure I had the right ship. My bad!!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, cruiserbear55 said:

RCI  has so many " of the seas" it's hard to keep track of them all. 26 last time I checked. But I should have checked your post again to make sure I had the right ship. My bad!!

No worries.  I've seen folks simply refer to "Behemoth of the Seas" and leave it at that. Love it. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2022 at 4:20 PM, cruiserbear55 said:

That's their thing.  Every ship is "Of the Seas".