Haven Restaurant and Fish

Hello,

My family and I will be on the Encore this January in the Haven.  We love to fish and have a half-day fishing charter at one of our ports. What are the odds that we can get what we catch cooked on board? The fishing charter would fillet and pack it for us. It’s no big deal if they won’t, but it’d be cool if they did.

(and yes, I checked for this answer in the “weirdest Haven request” thread, LOL)

Thanks!

4 minutes ago, complawyer said:

why don't you do the humane thing? catch and release!

I assume this person enjoys eating fresh fish. What's wrong with eating a fish caught this way vs. canned tuna caught and placed in a hold for many hours?

Fishing's not for me, but hey, let the guy/gal enjoy their fun.....also, appears they will be doing catch and release.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Labracadabra said:

We love to fish and have a half-day fishing charter at one of our ports.

You should totally have them fillet the fish (though isn't part of the fun of fishing, having to clean the guts up), then have a grill out at a local park. Maybe a few logistics to deal with this plan though...ok...eat them at the dock as @BirdTravelssays.

if you cant bring it on board, and have to wait until post cruise to have it shipped (with no guarantee it'll make it to your home)

if its the joy of fishing, i still believe catch and release would offer the same thrill as actually fishing, and still let  the fish live. 

13 hours ago, Labracadabra said:

Hello,

My family and I will be on the Encore this January in the Haven.  We love to fish and have a half-day fishing charter at one of our ports. What are the odds that we can get what we catch cooked on board? The fishing charter would fillet and pack it for us. It’s no big deal if they won’t, but it’d be cool if they did.

(and yes, I checked for this answer in the “weirdest Haven request” thread, LOL)

Thanks!

While Princess has the "eat your catch" excursion in Alaska, it is with a tour provider that meets the cruise line's and the USPH requirements for bringing fish onboard.  All proteins brought on the ship must be from "verifiable sources" and meet all the local laws for providing protein to food service.  It must also be verified to have been kept at proper temperatures the entire time, and for most fish protein, it must have been frozen.

8 hours ago, complawyer said:

or if  you really insist on eating what  you've caught, it's fresh, do sashimi

Depending on the type of fish, even "fresh sashimi" served in the US has been frozen, to kill parasites.

taishartrueblood:

what does being or not being a vegan have to do with this topic?  as soon as i get on board i make dinner reservations at cagneys' moderno and teppanyaki.

im a true carnivore.  what's wrong with enjoying a day of fishing, and then throwing back your catch if there is no way to eat it? 

your post is entirely irrelevant to this discussion!!!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, complawyer said:

what's wrong with enjoying a day of fishing, and then throwing back your catch if there is no way to eat it? 

Animal cruelty.  If I was a fish that was just hooked with a giant hook, I think I'd want to be put out of my misery.

Edited by SomewhereGirl

45 minutes ago, complawyer said:

taishartrueblood:

what does being or not being a vegan have to do with this topic?  as soon as i get on board i make dinner reservations at cagneys' moderno and teppanyaki.

im a true carnivore.  what's wrong with enjoying a day of fishing, and then throwing back your catch if there is no way to eat it? 

your post is entirely irrelevant to this discussion!!!

Your posts on this thread are irrelevant, there is no harm in eating the food you catch. In fact, all real outdoorsmen would say that is EXACTLY what you do. You accidently shoot a crow when turkey hunting? Figure out how to grill crow. Nothing wrong with throwing a fish back either, but there is also no need to do so if there is a way to eat it...... which is EXACTLY what the OP was asking about. "Is there a way to eat the fish i catch?"

Thanks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, complawyer said:

My wife and I owned three bass boats.  Over a ten year period, we must have caught hundreds of fish.  We practiced catch and release and all were returned to the lake.

6 hours ago, SomewhereGirl said:

Animal cruelty.  If I was a fish that was just hooked with a giant hook, I think I'd want to be put out of my misery.

Other than attempting to shame carnivores, your post is completely irrelevant. You do realize that fish that are caught and released can go on to live a joyful fishy life. 

• Like 2

Just a thought - you may be able to find a local restaurant near the pier or where you boat returns to that would be able to cook it for you. I'm sure your boat captain will be able to point you in the right direction.