JUST OFF THE QM2 - What’s Changed, What Hasn’t

Jack E Dawson

Dee and I both remember seeing you on the QM2. Too bad we were not able to connect. Hopefully our paths will cross again. In any case, I think we all had a great voyage. 

In my experience, if you watch Cunard prices they can fluctuate dramatically. However, if you have the flexibility to travel with less than 90 days lead time and are not cabin/class focused, some great deals can be had. 

Jack

On 5/31/2022 at 4:31 PM, Jack E Dawson said:

Dee and I both remember seeing you on the QM2. Too bad we were not able to connect. Hopefully our paths will cross again. In any case, I think we all had a great voyage. 

In my experience, if you watch Cunard prices they can fluctuate dramatically. However, if you have the flexibility to travel with less than 90 days lead time and are not cabin/class focused, some great deals can be had. 

Jack

Yes we'll definitely have to catch up if we end up on the same crossing again!

I've just had to alter my plans for next year due to a friends wedding in May 2023, this means I'll have to try and plan a crossing from May 2024. 

Still, as you said it was a great voyage and absence just makes the heart grow fonder!

4 hours ago, Trinnyessex said:

Great report , interesting that no covid test needed on arrival in Brooklyn . Is that still the same as of 3/6/22

Yes that's correct, there is no covid testing on arrival in Brooklyn.

• Thanks 1

@ICEX21 & @Jack E Dawson, you might have already done it but would you be able to write a review for your trip ? There's been a lot of negativity recently and it sounds as if you might be able to provide some balance ?

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/collect/

Thank you

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

@ICEX21 & @Jack E Dawson, you might have already done it but would you be able to write a review for your trip ? There's been a lot of negativity recently and it sounds as if you might be able to provide some balance ?

Thank you

I have been worrying abou these reviews. Ak1004 very decently put his/her views on a thread on this board before posting a review. This gave everyone a chance to challenge what they thought was unfair. Many reviews come from people who never post anywhere else and contain factual inaccuracies which cannot be challenged. Others seem frankly absurd. Why give one star and then have only two complaints: the dire embarkation process (been there, done that, but it's only a couple of hours, then you are on the ship) and the way a particular dish was cooked. If only there were a way to challenge factual inaccuracies. Or ask questions.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

Thank you

Will be happy to Host Hattie

Jack

• Like 1

2 hours ago, exlondoner said:

I have been worrying abou these reviews. Ak1004 very decently put his/her views on a thread on this board before posting a review. This gave everyone a chance to challenge what they thought was unfair. Many reviews come from people who never post anywhere else and contain factual inaccuracies which cannot be challenged. Others seem frankly absurd. Why give one star and then have only two complaints: the dire embarkation process (been there, done that, but it's only a couple of hours, then you are on the ship) and the way a particular dish was cooked. If only there were a way to challenge factual inaccuracies. Or ask questions.

Sorry, an individual’s review is an individual’s review. One can disagree with something in the review, but it remains an individual’s review. That is the POINT of a review, to give ones POINT of view. It is not a collaborative effort. This discussion of controlling an individual’s point of view smacks of “big brother” control. Is that the POINT of Cruise Critic? I think not!!

Edited by njguy_south
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, njguy_south said:

Sorry, an individual’s review is an individual’s review. One can disagree with something in the review, but it remains an individual’s review. That is the POINT of a review, to give ones POINT of view. It is not a collaborative effort. This discussion of controlling an individual’s point of view smacks of “big brother” control. Is that the POINT of Cruise Critic? I think not!!

And a factual error is a factual error, is it not? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, exlondoner said:

This gave everyone a chance to challenge what they thought was unfair.

This line is the main concern in my post. It implies influencing what someone writes in a review. A question: What are some of the factual inaccuracies you have read? Most of the recent reviews are not favorable. Are all of those reviewers inaccurately reporting on their experiences?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, njguy_south said:

This line is the main concern in my post. It implies influencing what someone writes in a review. A question: What are some of the factual inaccuracies you have read? Most of the recent reviews are not favorable. Are all of those reviewers inaccurately reporting on their experiences?

A few factual inaccuracies from a brief trek through recent negative reviews.

Passageways very narrow: really?

Food too exotic and rich: that's fine, as it is a matter of taste, but not to mention you could have asked for a plainer version seems rather misleading.

General apathy among staff: at the same time as other reviews saying how helpful staff were. They can't both be true.

Staff looked stressed: how could one possibly tell as they were all wearing masks?

Desserts not edible: come on now, they may not be very nice or rather too sweet, but not edible?

The cheapest glass of white wine is $10.50. No it is not, it's $7.50.

These are all minor errors, but they are errors, Surely review would be more credible if they didn't contain these sort of statements. It is not a matter of influencing someone's opinion, but inaccuracies are no help to anyone.

sur

One of my favorite negative reviews many many years ago was on Princess. The butter on the table was too cold. On a ship >100,000 GT

People can have their opinions and on the exact same cruise you can get two opposing reviews. People have their own experiences and most importantly  expectations. Frankly, the more I pay and am promised, the higher my expectations.

by and large, I haven’t yet had a bad cruise. 
There have been ships I haven’t been fond of but I had a particular destination in mind and 20 years ago there weren’t that many choices.

Edited by Jacqueline
  • Like 3

On 6/4/2022 at 12:00 PM, Host Hattie said:

Thank you

Yup I shall do so now!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/4/2022 at 3:54 PM, Jacqueline said:

The butter on the table was too cold.

Butter right out of the freezer cannot be spread.  So needs to be sent back- and if repeated brought to leadership aboard.  The site is called "Cruise Critic" - people having bad days or lives will take out their frustrations on staff or out here.  I like to book on ships with negative reviews - and write my own -Host Hattie is right 🙂with photos correcting inaccurate postings.  By the way, where did you find the $7.50 wine?  

On 6/4/2022 at 4:54 PM, Jacqueline said:

One of my favorite negative reviews many many years ago was on Princess. The butter on the table was too cold. On a ship >100,000 GT

People can have their opinions and on the exact same cruise you can get two opposing reviews. People have their own experiences and most importantly  expectations. Frankly, the more I pay and am promised, the higher my expectations.

by and large, I haven’t yet had a bad cruise. 
There have been ships I haven’t been fond of but I had a particular destination in mind and 20 years ago there weren’t that many choices.

MANY years ago on QE2, I was in the computer room and overheard a man writing a complaint letter and telling everyone in earshot his grievance. The wine steward broke the cork one night and, "it ruined my cruise." 

Reviews are nice, but too often they are from unhappy people who join CC just to blast a line after a disappointing experience.  I'm more inclined to pay attention to a review if it's by someone with a lot of posts in the past. I find a thread like this, where we can ask questions, to be more helpful. So thank you, Jack for starting this thread. 

• Like 7

You are welcome 3rdGenCunarder. Dee and I have benefited so much from the objective reviews and advice from CruiseCritic posters. While we would have enjoyed our first Crossing on the QM2 in 2017, it was made so much better by CruiseCritic. Even on this most recent Crossing, our third, we boarded armed with more great advice and knowledge from this Board. 

Jack

• Like 2

11 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I'm more inclined to pay attention to a review if it's by someone with a lot of posts in the past.

For me it’s the reviews from people who have been on a cruise line previously that carry more weight, as opposed to someone new to the line.  As a first timer on any line there may be things that are different; over reasonable differences in service I’ve seen people become livid over in their reviews simply because they apply what they are used to from another line to their current experience.  This has been a great thread because of @Jack E Dawson having Cunard experience to base it on.  As I approach my first Cunard voyage in a couple months I will try very hard not to make comparisons to other lines…otherwise I’d be just shortchanging myself of the unique Cunard experience!

Edited by johng75370
  • Thanks 1

We have just returned on the QM2 two-way transatlantic. It was brilliant.

I had read negative reviews, but should have just kept an open mind.

Perfect, not, but as good as... and life is too short to get too concerned.

If something is wrong, bring it up so it can be resolved there and then.

The stateroom was great, lots of storage space etc., a fridge was a bonus, lovely food everywhere, superb, friendly and very courteous staff, an amazing Steward, Afternoon Tea, a varierty of entertainments, super facilities, and the list goes on... Also amazing value for money I think, if you reflect on what you get.

I especially enjoyed the lectures and the Cunard Radio! ( No ads, chat, news - bliss. ) And the sea views!

( The only negative was the lack of taxies in the Taxi Queue at NY. We waited an hour. Others I discovered used Uber - top tip! Perhaps it's not a natural location for 'passing trade'. )

The QM2 really is a stunning ocean liner. We had some 'weather' but it really was very stable.

9.9 out of 10.

• Like 6