JUST OFF THE QM2 - What’s Changed, What Hasn’t

Jack E Dawson

Dee and I just disembarked the May 8th - 15th  Westbound QM2 Crossing today arriving Brooklyn at 6:30AM this morning. 

Let me start off by saying that it was a wonderful voyage and that the QM2 Crossing experience is 95% back to pre-COVID. For us, the enjoyment level was 100% back. The mood on the ship, by passengers and crew, was positive, upbeat and fun. I had intended to post this and invite questions as we went along but WiFi is so bad on the QM2 that it just made it impossible. 

CHECKIN: We arrived at the Mayflower Terminal at about 12:15PM. After dropping off our luggage we got into a very long queue. The line moved quickly and within 10 minutes we were inside the terminal. Masks were required. 

Cunard has divided the check-in process into 5 stations. At the first station our documents were checked to ensure we had the 5 mandatory items; valid passports, up to date vaccination cards, negative COVID test certificate, health declarations and boarding passes. From there we were put into a second queue that took us to a person, at a  stand, who checked our passports again. She then handed us over to another representative, sitting 2 meters away and behind the normal  check-in counter, who did the traditional checkin. Evidently- our uploaded photos were good enough and that 3rd stage of check-in took about 2 minutes. After that we were directed to zone seating areas as boarding had not actually started. We had no more than set down when Grill’s passengers, along with Diamond and Platinum members,  were invited to board.  Seeing as we were NOT in that group we settled into our seats. However, about 20-25 minutes later our zone was invited to proceed to Security, the 4th station. It probably took no more than 5-7 minutes to go through the airport style machines. Security then exits you right to the up escalator and the gangway. There we were surprised to find a long queue that was barely moving. Finally, after about 15 minutes, we got to the to the gangway and discovered that people were only allowed to cross onto the ship one person/couple at a time where their boarding pass was carefully and slowly scrutinized by a security person. Behind this security person there stood the Cunard bellboys dressed in their red uniforms.

COVID: During the check-in process everyone was given a letter from Cunard that stated that as of May 6th (two days earlier) mask were no longer required anywhere onboard the ship with the one exception of the clinic. The letter went on to say that while masks were now optional, they were recommended. For us, this was a wonderful surprise while for others I’m sure this was a bit alarming. We noticed that on embarkation day, most passengers continued to wear masks. By the mid point of the voyage, probably fewer than 10% of the passengers were wearing masks. That percentage was a bit higher in the Royal Court Theater and in Illuminations. However, throughout the entire trip, ALL of the ship’s crew wore masks while inside and outside. The second big surprise for us was being told that we would not need a negative COVID test to enter the United States, when we arrived Brooklyn as long as we were not flying back out to an international destination. We were very surprised to hear this and I actually confirmed it at the Purser’s Desk 3 times. 

Seating is still blocked off to allow for spacing in all areas of the ship. Also, in the Chart Room, Commodore’s Club and Golden Lion, sitting at the bar was still not allowed. This really made it difficult to get a seat, during prime times, in these  3 locations. The Golden Lion has also pulled out a few tables in order to separate the performer’s area from passenger seating. . During lunch time, getting a seat in The Golden Lion was a real challenge. This brings me to a sore point. Despite there being limited seating with high demand in the Golden Lion during lunch service, there were usually 3-4 tables occupied by passengers playing cards, reading books or just staring out the windows. They were neither eating nor drinking. I thought this was a bit inconsiderate under the circumstances. 

On our first morning at sea, we noticed that there were 8-10 cabins on the Port side of deck 11, our deck, that passengers had not checked into. We could tell because the welcoming paperwork and room keys were still in the mail slots outside the cabin doors. It took 2 days before these items were picked removed. I suspect that these cabins were for passengers who either failed their pre boarding COVID tests or had not gotten tests done in time. 

During the Crossing we heard 5-6 passenger names paged. They were told to return immediately to their cabins and call the Pursers’s desk. We also saw one cabin on our deck being cleaned by a Has-Mat team. Sections of decks 4, 5 & 6 were blocked off. We assumed these cabins were being kept available for anyone needing to quarantine. Unfortunately we missed the first part of the Captain’s welcoming message so we did not hear how many passengers were onboard. My guess is around 1500. We did hear that there were over 1000 crew members. We had the same waitstaff and steward staff the whole voyage. There was no self service in the Kings Court. All of the various group classes were conducted. The QM2 staff were constantly cleaning and sanitizing the whole ship. All in all, the COVID restrictions had very little impact on our voyage. You could tell that everyone was very glad to be sailing again. 

ENTERTAINMENT: The entertainment was excellent, everywhere. There also seemed to be a few more entertainers than normal. I wonder if these extra performers were in case others got sick. It made for a very rich experience. The Insights speakers were very good. Lord and Lady Howard. were both speakers and on the last day held a joint Q & A session that was very entertaining and surprisingly personal. I had heard them speak on a previous voyage but felt privileged to hear them again. Captain Rick conducted a 4-part series on the Concorde that was excellent and very eye-opening. He was also kind enough to make himself available in the Library each afternoon for small Q & A sessions. The other speakers also held individual meet and greet sessions in the Corinthian Lounge. Trivia, Bingo and Bridge sessions were all very well attended. 

I can’t say enough about the Queen Mary 2 singers and dancers. They did 3 different fantastic shows and are all so talented. Also the QM2 musicians did a great job. We especially enjoyed the Big Band night in the Queens Room.

FOOD & DRINK:

We love the food on the QM2 and this trip was no exception. In fact, I would say that this was the best food we have ever had on the QM2. The selection was very diverse and everything perfectly prepared. On 2 occasions I ordered off-menu items with no problems. I also noticed one night that the table next to us ordered fried shrimp off-menu in addition to their regular entries. This was all in the Britannia Restaurant. 

I meant to take some pictures of the bar menus but forgot. However, prices seemed to be about a dollar or so more per drink from what we paid on our last Crossing in September of 2018. The bartenders were very generous with their pours. My go-to Manhattan on the Rocks night cap in the Commodore’s Club always came as a double with no extra charge. We received a full bottle of my beloved Pol Acker on embarkation day and a second full bottle arrived at the mid point of the voyage. That was special. 

SERVICE: The service, as usual, was outstanding. I had ordered flowers for embarkation day for my wife since it was also Mother’s Day. I was worried because I had received a note from Cunard that, due to the high demand, some flowers might be delivered the next day. But when we walked into the cabin there were the flowers and they beautiful. Dee was so happy. I had also snuck aboard Mother’s Day cards from all the kids. She had a wonderful time reading the cards. The flowers stayed fresh the whole voyage. Well done florist department. 

Our cabin steward, Joselino, was outstanding. Although we kept a varied schedule, the cabin was always immaculate and he handled every request easily. He really help to make the trip special. Joselino also gave us a lot of good advice on dealing with the changes onboard due to COVID. Service in all of the restaurants and bars was also excellent. It seemed to me that there were more supervisors in sight. 

DRESS CODE: Here is where there were some surprises. I knew that jackets were no longer required for men in the MDR on casual nights but was surprised and sometimes shocked at what I did see. On the first night about 50% of the gentleman did not wear jackets. At first it seemed strange and disappointing. Oddly, of the half that did wear jackets, a surprising number wore ties, more than I’ve seen on casual nights on my 2 previous Crossings. There was also a small handful of gentleman who wore golf shirts (polo shirts) not tucked in. Fortunately they seemed to get the message pretty fast and by the end of the trip I saw only one individual still wearing a golf shirt. There was one couple, looked to be in their 30’s, who wore jeans and they weren’t even nice jeans. They looked like what Dee and I wear to work in the yard. This was really over the line but apparently they were allowed to get away with it. On formal nights, the good news was that almost all of the gentleman wore tuxedoes. Maybe 90%-95%. Those that didn’t wore dark suites. The ladies were really in spectacular fashion every night. Everyone certainly rose to the occasion on both of the formal nights. So while the men appeared to dress down somewhat on casual nights, the women certainly did not. On formal/gala nights, everyone took it up a notch compared to our last Crossing. 

MISCELLAENOUS: 

Laundry Rooms – OPEN

Watercolor Classes – YES

Wine/Cocktail Tastings – YES

Dancing Classes – YES

Bringing Liquor on Board – UNRESTRICTED

Hot Tubs Open – YES

Elevators Restrictions – 4 PEOPLE AT A TIME

Second Seating – NO, STILL OPEN SEATING

Tea Brand Served – TWININGS

Bath Products – CONDITIONAR NO LONGER PROVIDER

BOTTOM LINE: We had a great cruise, loved every minute of it. Staff, ship and the North Atlantic all did themselves proud.

I’m sure I’ve forgotten a few things so please let me know if anyone has any specific questions.

If there was someone else who was on this same cruise, I would love to hear your observations.

Thanks,

Jack      

• Like 20
  • Thanks 8

@Jack E DawsonHi Jack, great to read it all went so well.

We don't plan to do either of these things; but can you comment on whether the test you arranged at Lloyds was straightforward? And did you walk from hotel to Mayflower Terminal?

I see LifeonMars walked the other way that morning.

David

Edited by D&N

39 minutes ago, Jack E Dawson said:

Dee and I just disembarked the May 8th - 15th  Westbound QM2 Crossing today arriving Brooklyn at 6:30AM this morning. 

Let me start off by saying that it was a wonderful voyage and that the QM2 Crossing experience is 95% back to pre-COVID. For us, the enjoyment level was 100% back. The mood on the ship, by passengers and crew, was positive, upbeat and fun. I had intended to post this and invite questions as we went along but WiFi is so bad on the QM2 that it just made it impossible. 

CHECKIN: We arrived at the Mayflower Terminal at about 12:15PM. After dropping off our luggage we got into a very long queue. The line moved quickly and within 10 minutes we were inside the terminal. Masks were required. 

Cunard has divided the check-in process into 5 stations. At the first station our documents were checked to ensure we had the 5 mandatory items; valid passports, up to date vaccination cards, negative COVID test certificate, health declarations and boarding passes. From there we were put into a second queue that took us to a person, at a  stand, who checked our passports again. She then handed us over to another representative, sitting 2 meters away and behind the normal  check-in counter, who did the traditional checkin. Evidently- our uploaded photos were good enough and that 3rd stage of check-in took about 2 minutes. After that we were directed to zone seating areas as boarding had not actually started. We had no more than set down when Grill’s passengers, along with Diamond and Platinum members,  were invited to board.  Seeing as we were NOT in that group we settled into our seats. However, about 20-25 minutes later our zone was invited to proceed to Security, the 4th station. It probably took no more than 5-7 minutes to go through the airport style machines. Security then exits you right to the up escalator and the gangway. There we were surprised to find a long queue that was barely moving. Finally, after about 15 minutes, we got to the to the gangway and discovered that people were only allowed to cross onto the ship one person/couple at a time where their boarding pass was carefully and slowly scrutinized by a security person. Behind this security person there stood the Cunard bellboys dressed in their red uniforms.

COVID: During the check-in process everyone was given a letter from Cunard that stated that as of May 6th (two days earlier) mask were no longer required anywhere onboard the ship with the one exception of the clinic. The letter went on to say that while masks were now optional, they were recommended. For us, this was a wonderful surprise while for others I’m sure this was a bit alarming. We noticed that on embarkation day, most passengers continued to wear masks. By the mid point of the voyage, probably fewer than 10% of the passengers were wearing masks. That percentage was a bit higher in the Royal Court Theater and in Illuminations. However, throughout the entire trip, ALL of the ship’s crew wore masks while inside and outside. The second big surprise for us was being told that we would not need a negative COVID test to enter the United States, when we arrived Brooklyn as long as we were not flying back out to an international destination. We were very surprised to hear this and I actually confirmed it at the Purser’s Desk 3 times. 

Seating is still blocked off to allow for spacing in all areas of the ship. Also, in the Chart Room, Commodore’s Club and Golden Lion, sitting at the bar was still not allowed. This really made it difficult to get a seat, during prime times, in these  3 locations. The Golden Lion has also pulled out a few tables in order to separate the performer’s area from passenger seating. . During lunch time, getting a seat in The Golden Lion was a real challenge. This brings me to a sore point. Despite there being limited seating with high demand in the Golden Lion during lunch service, there were usually 3-4 tables occupied by passengers playing cards, reading books or just staring out the windows. They were neither eating nor drinking. I thought this was a bit inconsiderate under the circumstances. 

On our first morning at sea, we noticed that there were 8-10 cabins on the Port side of deck 11, our deck, that passengers had not checked into. We could tell because the welcoming paperwork and room keys were still in the mail slots outside the cabin doors. It took 2 days before these items were picked removed. I suspect that these cabins were for passengers who either failed their pre boarding COVID tests or had not gotten tests done in time. 

During the Crossing we heard 5-6 passenger names paged. They were told to return immediately to their cabins and call the Pursers’s desk. We also saw one cabin on our deck being cleaned by a Has-Mat team. Sections of decks 4, 5 & 6 were blocked off. We assumed these cabins were being kept available for anyone needing to quarantine. Unfortunately we missed the first part of the Captain’s welcoming message so we did not hear how many passengers were onboard. My guess is around 1500. We did hear that there were over 1000 crew members. We had the same waitstaff and steward staff the whole voyage. There was no self service in the Kings Court. All of the various group classes were conducted. The QM2 staff were constantly cleaning and sanitizing the whole ship. All in all, the COVID restrictions had very little impact on our voyage. You could tell that everyone was very glad to be sailing again. 

ENTERTAINMENT: The entertainment was excellent, everywhere. There also seemed to be a few more entertainers than normal. I wonder if these extra performers were in case others got sick. It made for a very rich experience. The Insights speakers were very good. Lord and Lady Howard. were both speakers and on the last day held a joint Q & A session that was very entertaining and surprisingly personal. I had heard them speak on a previous voyage but felt privileged to hear them again. Captain Rick conducted a 4-part series on the Concorde that was excellent and very eye-opening. He was also kind enough to make himself available in the Library each afternoon for small Q & A sessions. The other speakers also held individual meet and greet sessions in the Corinthian Lounge. Trivia, Bingo and Bridge sessions were all very well attended. 

I can’t say enough about the Queen Mary 2 singers and dancers. They did 3 different fantastic shows and are all so talented. Also the QM2 musicians did a great job. We especially enjoyed the Big Band night in the Queens Room.

FOOD & DRINK:

We love the food on the QM2 and this trip was no exception. In fact, I would say that this was the best food we have ever had on the QM2. The selection was very diverse and everything perfectly prepared. On 2 occasions I ordered off-menu items with no problems. I also noticed one night that the table next to us ordered fried shrimp off-menu in addition to their regular entries. This was all in the Britannia Restaurant. 

I meant to take some pictures of the bar menus but forgot. However, prices seemed to be about a dollar or so more per drink from what we paid on our last Crossing in September of 2018. The bartenders were very generous with their pours. My go-to Manhattan on the Rocks night cap in the Commodore’s Club always came as a double with no extra charge. We received a full bottle of my beloved Pol Acker on embarkation day and a second full bottle arrived at the mid point of the voyage. That was special. 

SERVICE: The service, as usual, was outstanding. I had ordered flowers for embarkation day for my wife since it was also Mother’s Day. I was worried because I had received a note from Cunard that, due to the high demand, some flowers might be delivered the next day. But when we walked into the cabin there were the flowers and they beautiful. Dee was so happy. I had also snuck aboard Mother’s Day cards from all the kids. She had a wonderful time reading the cards. The flowers stayed fresh the whole voyage. Well done florist department. 

Our cabin steward, Joselino, was outstanding. Although we kept a varied schedule, the cabin was always immaculate and he handled every request easily. He really help to make the trip special. Joselino also gave us a lot of good advice on dealing with the changes onboard due to COVID. Service in all of the restaurants and bars was also excellent. It seemed to me that there were more supervisors in sight. 

DRESS CODE: Here is where there were some surprises. I knew that jackets were no longer required for men in the MDR on casual nights but was surprised and sometimes shocked at what I did see. On the first night about 50% of the gentleman did not wear jackets. At first it seemed strange and disappointing. Oddly, of the half that did wear jackets, a surprising number wore ties, more than I’ve seen on casual nights on my 2 previous Crossings. There was also a small handful of gentleman who wore golf shirts (polo shirts) not tucked in. Fortunately they seemed to get the message pretty fast and by the end of the trip I saw only one individual still wearing a golf shirt. There was one couple, looked to be in their 30’s, who wore jeans and they weren’t even nice jeans. They looked like what Dee and I wear to work in the yard. This was really over the line but apparently they were allowed to get away with it. On formal nights, the good news was that almost all of the gentleman wore tuxedoes. Maybe 90%-95%. Those that didn’t wore dark suites. The ladies were really in spectacular fashion every night. Everyone certainly rose to the occasion on both of the formal nights. So while the men appeared to dress down somewhat on casual nights, the women certainly did not. On formal/gala nights, everyone took it up a notch compared to our last Crossing. 

MISCELLAENOUS: 

Laundry Rooms – OPEN

Watercolor Classes – YES

Wine/Cocktail Tastings – YES

Dancing Classes – YES

Bringing Liquor on Board – UNRESTRICTED

Hot Tubs Open – YES

Elevators Restrictions – 4 PEOPLE AT A TIME

Second Seating – NO, STILL OPEN SEATING

Tea Brand Served – TWININGS

Bath Products – CONDITIONAR NO LONGER PROVIDER

BOTTOM LINE: We had a great cruise, loved every minute of it. Staff, ship and the North Atlantic all did themselves proud.

I’m sure I’ve forgotten a few things so please let me know if anyone has any specific questions.

If there was someone else who was on this same cruise, I would love to hear your observations.

Thanks,

Jack      

Thank you so much for that. Very encouraging. Gives me more confidence for our July cruise 

• Like 1

Jack,

Thanks for the great overview.

Happy to hear you had a wonderful time.

Question:

In the MDR, was table sharing allowed or did they keep assignments to just the traveling party?

We are onboard for the July 1 trip to Boston.

Jack,

Thanks so much for your informative and detailed review.  After four cancellations, I'm hopeful that the fifth time will be the charm and I'll be onboard next month.  

While we've been lucky enough to have cruised several times since the restart on other lines, this is the ship nearest and dearest to my heart.  It made my day to read about your experience.

Regards,

Marion

13 minutes ago, D&N said:

We don't plan to do either of these things; but can you comment on whether the test you arranged at Lloyds was straightforward? And did you walk from hotel to Mayflower Terminal?

David

D&N,

Our test at Lloyds was almost a disaster. When Cunard changed the rules and required us to arrange (and pay) for our own tests I Googled "Southampton UK pharmacy" and found they had a store just a few blocks from our hotel (Holiday Inn) near he terminal. I went on that store's web site and from a list of appointment times for COVID testing chose 14:30 Saturday. I received a confirmation e-mail. A couple of days later I went back on that store's website to get their actual address and noted that they are closed on Saturdays. So I called the store to get some clarification and was told that they had changed their hours a few months ago but hadn't gotten around to updating their web site. I was told that no  one would be there that Saturday for my appointment and the store would be close. However, the person I was speaking with told me that the store on Shirly, a couple of miles away, would be open. I went on their web site, made the appointment then called the store. They confirmed that their store would be open. It was and all went smoothly. They were very nice in the store. We had our certificate showing a negative test in about 30 minutes after we entered the store. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, D&N said:

David

Would not advise walking from the Holiday Inn to the ship is docked at the Mayflower. Not how I want to start a voyage on the QM2. Our Cab ride was 5.80 pounds. I tipped the driver 3 pounds and he was very appreciative.

Jack

• Like 1

Jack, what a great report, thank you. Did you do the Watercolor class? How about the wine certification class? We made our hotel reservations for London and Southampton last night. Your wonderful narrative was fun to read aloud to my DH. Seems too long until December when we sail.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, olegna said:

Jack,

Thanks for the great overview.

Happy to hear you had a wonderful time.

Question:

In the MDR, was table sharing allowed or did they keep assignments to just the traveling party?

We are onboard for the July 1 trip to Boston.

I will be on this cruise also. So, looking forward to it after last two previous bookings that were cancelled.

@bellboy Hopefully not a dumb question from a first time Cunard cruiser…we are looking at the Commodore and Captain Wine collections. If we don’t order one of these, or even if we do, is there a wine list we can order from at lunch and dinner? Does it have additional wines or is the wine list a compilation of the Commodore and Captain collections?

3 hours ago, techteach said:

@bellboy Hopefully not a dumb question from a first time Cunard cruiser…we are looking at the Commodore and Captain Wine collections. If we don’t order one of these, or even if we do, is there a wine list we can order from at lunch and dinner? Does it have additional wines or is the wine list a compilation of the Commodore and Captain collections?

There are wine lists in this thread, they are a couple of years old but will give you a general idea of the size of the list !

10 hours ago, Jack E Dawson said:

Would not advise walking from the Holiday Inn to the ship is docked at the Mayflower. Not how I want to start a voyage on the QM2. Our Cab ride was 5.80 pounds. I tipped the driver 3 pounds and he was very appreciative.

Jack

I bet he was! 😀

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Jack E Dawson said:

Dee and I just disembarked the May 8th - 15th  Westbound QM2 Crossing today ...  

Thank you, a really useful 'read'.

Can I ask... was there a Talent Show at all?

I know there have been in the past.

12 hours ago, techteach said:

Jack, what a great report, thank you. Did you do the Watercolor class? How about the wine certification class? We made our hotel reservations for London and Southampton last night. Your wonderful narrative was fun to read aloud to my DH. Seems too long until December when we sail.

techteach,

I did not take the watercolor classes. This trip my wife and I thought it would be fun to take the daily dance classes instead (and it was), so I didn't want to over do it with classes. However, the couple that was traveling with us did take the watercolor classes. They loved them. She had some painting experience and he had none. The works that they produced were very impressive. The liked having the freedom of bouncing between the morning class or afternoon class to give their daily schedule more flexibility. As with the class that I took in 2018, there was a student art show on the last day. It is amazing to me hw these art instructors can draw so much talent out of their students in such a short time. The classes are a big commitment but so rewarding.

Jack

• Like 2

9 hours ago, techteach said:

As you can see from the link Host Hattie posted, the wine list on the QM2 is very extensive with wines from countries all over the world and with a wide range of pricing. Our sommelier was very helpful with our wine selections. I find the wine list a bit intimidating, particularly with so many countries being represented. He was also not the least bit judgmental when I gave hime our wine budget. Bottles of wine we did not finish at dinner were alway available for us the next night. 

Wine is definitely served at lunch in the MDR as well as in the other restaurants (not sure about Kings Court). Wine can be bought by the bottle as well as by the glass but with a limited selection. We also brought 5 bottles on board and enjoyed a predinner glass with our friends in our cabin. 

Jack

• Like 1