JUST OFF THE QM2 - What’s Changed, What Hasn’t

Jack E Dawson

6 hours ago, Kristal Blade said:

Thank you for a great review,

We are boarding with Thumbun in just under 3 weeks.

We are hoping that shared tables will be allowed. We have late seating. Is that a specified time or a free for all? Thanks for any advice.

Shared tables were definitely allowed on our cruise. In the mornings when we went to the MDR for breakfast we were asked if we wanted to have a separate table out be seated with other passengers. This was also the case on the one day we had lunch in the MDR. If you asked to be seated alone, they were careful to leave the adjacent table empty so there was not another couple seated 6 inches away. If you asked to be seated with others, you would be placed at a table were the other guests had also just been seated so that you were all pretty much in sync on ordering. That was really nice. We chose to eat alone for breakfast and lunch the first four days of the cruise then asked for shared tables (which we prefer)  the last 3 days figuring that the incubation period for COVID would get us at least through the whole trip. 

Jack

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, WestonOne said:

You mentioned danclng classes were allowed.  What was the situation on dancing more generally?

As far as we could tell, dancing was pretty much back to pre-COVID days both in the Queens Room and G-32. Only a very few people wore masks when dancing. At our dance classes the instructors both wore their masks at all times. The one change that does remain in effect is that there were no dance hosts. 

Jack

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Jack E Dawson Thanks for answering my questions. Dancing over watercolor. We have a prenup that I won’t ask him to dance and he cleans the bathrooms. I just shake my head that the web site says we’re allowed to bring one bottle each on-board when that isn’t what they actually do. With my luck I’d take 3 bottles and they would confiscate them! Your news about your test was unsettling. How could a company know that people are signed up for a test, and that they need it to board, and not contact you? I’m glad you had a great cruise.

Hello Jack!  Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive report and review.   Very interesting and appreciated by many.  I am booked next 1/3/23 NY to Sydney for 68 days on QM2.   Trying to decide if I should cancel.   Wondering when the various parties such as Captains' welcome and World Club affairs will return if ever.  Also, any sense if the traditional second closed 8:30 sitting will return.  As a solo traveler these issues are important to me. Thank you so very much.

Deck Chair.

Edited by deck chair

3 hours ago, david,Mississauga said:

Thanks for the review. May I ask was there any classical entertainer(s) and the traditional string orchestra and harpist? Thanks in advance.

David,

Yes the Brevis String Trio and Harpist Fiona McGee performed their beautiful music in various venues around the ship. There was also classical pianist Mikhail Shilyaev who performed in concert. In addition pianist Akos Somogyi performed around the ship and flutist Suzanne Godfrey performed in concert. So there was plenty of classical and lite-classical available on our voyage. 

Jack

• Like 2

1 hour ago, deck chair said:

Hello Jack!  Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive report and review.   Very interesting and appreciated by many.  I am booked next 1/3/23 NY to Sydney for 68 days on QM2.   Trying to decide if I should cancel.   Wondering when the various parties such as Captains' welcome and World Club affairs will return if ever.  Also, any sense if the traditional second closed 8:30 sitting will return.  As a solo traveler these issues are important to me. Thank you so very much.

Deck Chair.

I may get myself in a little bit of hot water here Deck Chair but let me start with your second question. On our voyage, the 6:00PM fixed seating followed by open seating, starting at 7:45PM, seemed to work brilliantly. For First Seaters, like Dee and I, nothing had really changed. However, for the Second Seaters, they had much more flexibility. Although Second Seating was supposed to start at 7:45PM, we actually saw them being seated as early as 7:30PM. Rather than a large group arriving all at once, like the First Seaters, they streamed in over a much longer period of time. I'm sure this put much less stress on the wait staff and kitchen staff. This must have been popular because the Second Seaters out numbered the First Seaters. It also seemed that the Second Seaters were a more gregarious group. Also, I know that there was group of 6 Second Seaters who sat at the same table near us every night. A small bonus was that our table of 4 felt absolutely no pressure to leave at any time. On the 3 nights that we didn't go to the Royal Court Theater for the early show, we stayed at our table till 8:30PM. It just seemed that the current plan of Fixed Seating followed by Open Seating was very popular. Now let me add a caveat, the current arrangement was greatly aided by the fact that we were operating with a reduced passenger load.

As to the Captian's welcome and WC affairs, there was no talk from the staff about their return but there was a lot of talk among the passengers about their need for their return. While the complementary glass of champagne was very nice and much appreciated, it fell way short of offsetting the missed gatherings. 

Jack

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lanky Lad said:

Thanks for the report @Jack E Dawson I am looking forward to boarding on Suenday even more now (if that's possible).

Thanks Lanky Lad, I have no doubt that you will have a great voyage. 

On our walk this morning Dee and I both noticed that there seemed to be a younger demographic on the ship, specifically more people in their 50's. Would be interested in what you observe. 

Jack

• Like 1

I thought I read that 2nd fixed seating was returning soon to QE - I noticed because  Iwas sad about it - like the flexibility - will probably just end up eating in the Lido more often 

5 hours ago, deck chair said:

Deck Chair.

Sadly my brother and I though traveling in one cabin are really two solo travelers and we have canceled the QM2 2023 in favor of the 2024 voyage. Sincerely doubt the 2023 will be anywhere near normal if at all. Most of Asia is still closed or requires onerous protocols. Not what we called a relaxing 117 days so we are done with 2023.

Glad to hear you had a lovely trip A TA was my first ever cruise and we absolutely loved it. 
Just to double check the Lloyds covid test was what they are calling the fit to fly? Is the certificate digital as email type or on paper? There was a lot of confusion a few weeks back on how, where and what the new test involved.
Also was the gym open any restrictions in there? 

Edited by cook68
spelling

Jack--thanks for your great report. How did disembarkation go after your 6:30 AM arrival in Brooklyn? What time were you able to get off the ship and get transport (and what method did you use)? Thanks.

3 hours ago, cook68 said:

Glad to hear you had a lovely trip A TA was my first ever cruise and we absolutely loved it. 
Just to double check the Lloyds covid test was what they are calling the fit to fly? Is the certificate digital as email type or on paper? There was a lot of confusion a few weeks back on how, where and what the new test involved.
Also was the gym open any restrictions in there? 

The Lloyds certificate was paper. They were supposed to also e-mail us a copy but none in our group of 4 received it. They referred to it as a "Fit To Fly" certificate but the title on the sheet was Healgen Test Certificate - Confirmation of COVID-19 Rapid Test Result. It was readily accepted at the Cunard check-in.

Other than the equipment being spaced out, there were no restrictions in the gym. We were required to wipe down the equipment but that was normal.

Jack

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, taxatty said:

Jack--thanks for your great report. How did disembarkation go after your 6:30 AM arrival in Brooklyn? What time were you able to get off the ship and get transport (and what method did you use)? Thanks.

Disembarkation was very smooth. We did self-disembark. Our assigned time was at 7:30AM but we walked out of our cabin at 7:05AM. We had 2 large roller bags and were worried about getting on the elevators. As it turned out the elevators were empty. We also took the elevator down in the terminal, again, no problem. There were approximately a dozen Customs agents and only 2 other passengers clearing. We were through Customs in about 2 minutes. I first tried Uber but at 7:15AM on Sunday morning got no responses. Next I asked one of the waiting green taxies what the fare to LGA was. It was $85. Then I went over to a line of private cars and was given a rate of $80. We hopped in. We checked in at the United counter at  7:45AM and were asked if we wanted to take the 8:59AM flight, instead of our scheduled 1:00PM flight, which we did. We walked into our house in Chicago at 10:45AM. Pretty smooth. Here is a little tip. The program for disembarkation day said there would be a contential breakfast in the Kings Court at 6:00AM and a full breakfast at 6:30AM. We went down a few minutes after 6 and there was the full breakfast on both sides of the Kings Court. Dee had an omelet made to order. 

Jack

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Jack E Dawson said:

David,

Yes the Brevis String Trio and Harpist Fiona McGee performed their beautiful music in various venues around the ship. There was also classical pianist Mikhail Shilyaev who performed in concert. In addition pianist Akos Somogyi performed around the ship and flutist Suzanne Godfrey performed in concert. So there was plenty of classical and lite-classical available on our voyage. 

Jack

Thank you Jack for this good news. We have enjoyed Fiona's harp music a few times on both the QM2 and the QE. We hope to see her again on one of our voyages this year.

Lovely report, thank you.  I think it's time for a rule in the Golden Lion- only an hour during lunch.  We missed out lunch a few times as there were 3-4 tables occupied the whole meal service time by those reading or looking out the window.  There are lots of lovely window seats forward on the ship outside the theater.     Or better yet, close at eleven for ten minutes to "sanitize tables" and issue menus to all new arrivals.   

We just got off a short test cruise- I could not wait any longer- it all felt pretty safe.  Elevators for eight and tables for eight and long indoor lines seemed edgy.  Singing and close in talking are still not recommended.  Our dance group uses large fans in the hall and we've been safe for months.   Bring your boxing gloves for the laundry rooms 🙂 

Edited by ew101
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ew101 said:

Lovely report, thank you.  I think it's time for a rule in the Golden Lion- only an hour during lunch.  We missed out lunch a few times as there were 3-4 tables occupied the whole meal service time by those reading or looking out the window.  There are lots of lovely window seats forward on the ship outside the theater.     Or better yet, close at eleven for ten minutes to "sanitize tables" and issue menus to all new arrivals.   

Thank you ew.

Each sailing we attempt to occupy a table for lunch and face the same situation with those just camping out reading or wave watching. Yes we do find a table with great difficulty but may takes searching each day till accomplished.

I am not sure if the partial capacity of the Mary 2 will help the situation.

Wish they did have a rule that during a set period of time that meals are served with drinks from the bar. I have seen many times people come in see the situation and turn around and help for the Britannia entrance. 

Boarded on the 1st May from Brooklyn back to blighty took two hours from queing to more queing ,what a fiasco that was.

Ship to me was very plain and rather dull 

Waived gratuities at pursers desk on embarkation only to find out luckily enough this wasnt put in place

reported the chap that said all was done.

thankfully the lady sorted this mess out.

The contsent taking off and putting on masks was a right pain ,in the buffet and walking round on board.

then sat for dinner amongst six complete strangers for evening meal with no masks

Wine waiter half filled our glasses with the house wine then disappeared never to be seen again however the food waiters were good as gold 

Food was average fare and actually thought the buffet was better quality ,the old QE2 was far superior.

one chef had the right hump when I called him over to serve me something in the buffet as he was chatting to a young waitress at the time.

American comedian was quite good although couldnt take a drink in the theatre and the mask wearing made it stifling in there.

Still, got me across the pond after a hectic week in New York.

The cabin cleaner chap was a diamond couldnt do enough for us.....top marks.

Would I use the ship again .............No.