Semi live from Azamara Pursuit May 17th Athens to Barcelona

travelberlin

13 hours ago, joyride said:

IF you would not mind, I would like to know if they are selling Spa Terrace passes for non suite people. This has been a big issue of debate recently. How many people are on your cruise? Your picture leaving Athens is breathtaking. Thank you for posting... Have a fabulous time!!

They are selling the passes. The cost is US 20 per day. 
There are 427 guests on this cruise. Thanks for your comments.
Ivi

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thank you, @travelberlin, for taking your time on your cruise to share with us!  I can also vouch for Chef Nathan.His food was wonderful on our Dec cruise on Quest.  Also, enjoy Earnest and his performances.

Enjoy!

p.s…..how are the wines?  Did you upgrade or are you staying with the always included wines?  Thanks.

• Like 2

Thank you for doing a live report from the Azamara Pursuit . Great photos 👍🙂 We are newbies on Azamara and are booked on the Journey in August.  Very excited about trying Azamara for the first time. So it will be interesting to follow your thread.  

Have a wonderful cruise 👍🙂

• Like 1

11 hours ago, takemewithyou said:

Thank you, @travelberlin, for taking your time on your cruise to share with us!  I can also vouch for Chef Nathan.His food was wonderful on our Dec cruise on Quest.  Also, enjoy Earnest and his performances.

Enjoy!

p.s…..how are the wines?  Did you upgrade or are you staying with the always included wines?  Thanks.

Thanks @takemewithyou. I have benefited several times from your posts.

I have not upgraded to a better drinks package. I am perfectly Ok with the included ones. I had a Piña Colada, a Scotch and I guess thats all for non wine drinks because I am actually a wine drinker. 

I had a Chardonnay from Chile and a Pinotage from South Africa. I was satisfied with them. The sparkling wine is imo also fine. At least better than the one that Lufthansa served me on my business class flight to Athens when I ordered champagne. They thought I would not be able to distinguish between sparkling wine and champagne 😉

Ivi

• Like 3

I like very much this size of ships. Every thing is so easy to reach. I do not need to use an elevator to go anywhere. 

With 427 passengers in a ship which has a capacity for about 650 we are fine. It does not feel empty or crowded. Bars are well visited. I have not seen children on board. I would say average age about 60? It does not feel like a nursing home as someone was afraid Azamara would be.

It is an old ship and it has some disadvantages. For example the cabins are small and the toilets are so tiny! I guess some people would have difficulties with them. I am in a standard veranda cabin midship. A balcony is a must in times of Covid for me and I always choose midship in case they are rough seas. Even in the Mediterranean, which can be temperamental some times. The balcony allows for having room service with a nice setting. I like to have breakfast once in a while on the balcony.

Internet is not good and I am not always able to post pictures. Funny is that Whatsapp and Facebook work better. It is when I try to post at Cruise Critic that things become slowly and at times impossible  🧐

Ivi

F46A1A1A-17EB-4A0D-BCD4-E2ED68A24CBE.thumb.jpeg.5ee1fe12bbbd048da76bfb4ce26b7545.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

Thanks @takemewithyou. I have benefited several times from your posts.

I have not upgraded to a better drinks package. I am perfectly Ok with the included ones. I had a Piña Colada, a Scotch and I guess thats all for non wine drinks because I am actually a wine drinker. 

I had a Chardonnay from Chile and a Pinotage from South Africa. I was satisfied with them. The sparkling wine is imo also fine. At least better than the one that Lufthansa served me on my business class flight to Athens when I ordered champagne. They thought I would not be able to distinguish between sparkling wine and champagne 😉

Ivi

That's good to hear. We are also mostly wine drinkers and if the complimentary are satisfactory the Ultimate package is not necessary for us. On our last cruise on Journey in january we tested the Ultimate for three days and yes the wines were better, but it touch and go wether it is worth it or not. We are glad you find the time to report here. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, travelberlin said:

They are selling the passes. The cost is US 20 per day. 
There are 427 guests on this cruise. Thanks for your comments.
Ivi

Do they also sell packages for the full cruise or only day passes? Asking for a friend. :-)

12 minutes ago, oddjob16 said:

Do they also sell packages for the full cruise or only day passes? Asking for a friend. 🙂

Yes they are. If I understood properly they are US 99 for the whole cruise. The price is per person. 
Ivi

Today was our first port of call: Giardini Naxos. We have tendered with a nice  view from Giardini and from Taormina. Since I was in Taormina many times before, I decided not to go there but to explore Giardini Naxos. 

I was lucky because just in front of the place where the tender boats stop there is an Archeological Museum. Apparently Naxos was the first Greek Settlement in Sicily. The Museum was a pleasure to walk at the time I was there. It is open air and with many trees and flowers and sounds of birds and smell of Eucalyptus. This is how one imagines Sicily… Goethe has written about the beauty of Sicily and I always remember his words when I come here: “Do you know the place where the lemon flowers…”. 

Ivi

0E64C639-0A62-4C96-8F2C-4CAEC9970EA0.thumb.jpeg.5a53e13c39eaf61a4d195c0034cafe9c.jpegCEC60D5E-310C-4F0C-BAF7-3DCA28FB6305.thumb.jpeg.81b277ba641651a712ee79ae73bd15e7.jpegB6836B94-C91F-423E-B737-42B5217A98E7.thumb.jpeg.389365729939fb602b9583d9ec99f91f.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

The town of Giardini Naxos has several beaches (Lidos). Most of them private. It seems to attract well off people because the prices at the restaurants are a little high.

When in Sicily, I can’t resist two of the specialities: Arancini and Cannoli. Since I have seen that on Windows we would have cannoli I went for the Arancini. It was excellent in a charming little place. 

Back on the ship I had cannoli and a small pavlova. Both wonderful 😋. I have tried to post the picture but I am unable. I am enjoying the food at the Azamara Pursuit.

Ivi

931A34CE-284A-4387-B2C2-89B7E1C9AF30.thumb.jpeg.72e2dd3b93795cfbc850e39f79d8270d.jpeg0B17FB6A-273D-4353-BEB3-F500F6384552.thumb.jpeg.0978bc4c7adebb0353be178fcf7a4dfd.jpeg

• Like 11

Thanks to all for posting.   SHOULD this board be merged with the "anyone currently onboard: board?  The idea is the same, and ACO is an ongoing forum???

3 hours ago, DS said:

Thanks to all for posting.   SHOULD this board be merged with the "anyone currently onboard: board?  The idea is the same, and ACO is an ongoing forum???

NO. At least not in my view. ACO is used for, largely, one off comments or short discussions about specific points from onboard any one of four ships. This is different to Ivi's report of her experiences on a specific ship and it's current voyage.

Adrian

(Who departs today for Onward...👍🥂☀️)

• Like 13
  • Thanks 6

Just now, Noggins said:

NO. At least not in my view. ACO is used for, largely, one off comments or short discussions about specific points from onboard any one of four ships. This is different to Ivi's report of her experiences on a specific ship and it's current voyage.

Adrian

Agreed!

I was just about to respond with a no when your post arrived.

This is one person's "semi-live" report from one ship and would be lost among the many other posts from all four ships.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

DC7A7FF2-8802-48A4-9B19-818C62CCC524.thumb.jpeg.4ee125eaab16f05362bfe05ddad121df.jpegWelcome to Sorrento 🤩 after a lovely breakfast ready to explore it. We are tendered. I was here before but I do not remember it because we just went to Pompeii which was quite easy to reach by train from here. 

We have received the information that there is a strike in the public transportation in the whole Italy. Apparently the reason is that this department is protesting about money being used to support Ukraine while their demands are not being met. 

I am curious how far I can reach by foot …

Ivi

C9E6D758-9AB9-41FB-B9B5-4148B80F9A46.thumb.jpeg.aaf17bb0560323e3a703284d3fc30549.jpeg

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

We have received the information that there is a strike in the public transportation in the whole Italy. Apparently the reason is that this department is protesting about money being used to support Ukraine while their demands are not being met. 

If it wasn't Ukraine then it would be something else!  It's the only thing that makes me nervous about relying on public transport. Their propensity for strikes at a drop of the hat. Sorrento is a struggle to walk. Not sure if they have a shuttle up to the top. If you head for the Excelsior Vittoria hotel and have a drink on the terrace with beautiful views there is a lift there that takes you back down to the bottom. 

Have fun. 

Phil 

077622CF-EDEB-4A3A-9398-377B337D1672.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Not sure if they have a shuttle up to the top.

Pre covid there was always a little shuttle bus for the short trip from where the tenders land up to the town proper. Provided by the town rather than the regional bus company, I believe. Whether or not it is too strenuous to walk the short distance depends entirely on your state of health / fitness (or how long you were in the bar the night before...!). I have walked it several times - and hope to again, one day soon. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

There is a public lift for one euro.  Signposted on the right when one is dropped at the tender. You walk along the back of the beach,   Usually very efficient.  Wonderful view from the balcony at the top then turn right into town/  I would recommend going into the cloisters, entrance just before the church.  Fantastic black and  white photo exhibition of the region,  really quirky and lovely exhibits. Entrance 5 euros.  Also recommend a drink at the Excelsior and using their lift down to the tender.  We did just that in April.  Beautiful.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Love Sorrento.... And all the coastline in the vicinity. The CL I used always had a shuttle, so can't comment on public transport. I'd certainly not like to walk it!

I've just seen a comment posted regarding restaurants and drinks, stating they are not asking if you would like a drink, leaving a menu and returning to take food orders a while later.

Hoping that's not the case?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Noggins said:

Adrian

Have a wonderful cruise Adrian! I would love to hear if you like it. 
Ivi

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

If it wasn't Ukraine then it would be something else!  It's the only thing that makes me nervous about relying on public transport. Their propensity for strikes at a drop of the hat. Sorrento is a struggle to walk. Not sure if they have a shuttle up to the top. If you head for the Excelsior Vittoria hotel and have a drink on the terrace with beautiful views there is a lift there that takes you back down to the bottom. 

Have fun. 

Phil 

077622CF-EDEB-4A3A-9398-377B337D1672.jpeg

Phil thanks a lot for your advice, from Mrs Miggings and from others. I love how the cruise critic community is so helpful giving tips along the different ports. As an independent travel I really appreciate this.

I have followed Mrs Miggings advice and took the public lift to come up. Sorrento is really charming. I came to the Victoria Hotel and I am waiting for my drink. A beautiful place 👌

I might go back by lift or walking not sure yet. I am attaching some pictures of Sorrento. My pictures always come lije glued together. Any ideas how to have spaces between them?

Ivi

33B96808-56BB-4A23-BF87-D7459FAE8723.thumb.jpeg.e944bf07557a682524c0adbb7c9756d4.jpegA8A456E1-34AD-4EB0-BEB0-4D9BA78BE0C4.thumb.jpeg.26720f5f8a0748c57e4d599af954004a.jpeg4553F46F-4C5D-4D67-A7B2-048172A20F72.thumb.jpeg.ba29481bf2773bc108fc3766a6625bda.jpeg

• Like 13

Those are the included red wines being served on the Pursuit during this cruise. The Pinotage from South Africa, the Shiraz and the Cabernet from France and the Merlot from Italy.

Ivi

67398350-ACAE-4934-9033-DAC49B5032D2.thumb.jpeg.f60ccda7ab4176d269ebd3782cbd8eb0.jpeg

Edited by travelberlin
Spelling
  • Like 6