What to do about a mustache?

alidor

Have a personal question - what do you do about a mustache???  I shave it so there is no hair but it always seem to be dark on my lip - like a mustache.  I can’t believe I am the only one with this problem.  But what can you do for it?

Pretty sure that a beauty salon can show you how to treat the area with cream that will lighten it ... or something. Maybe hair removal cream makes a better choice.   I vaguely remember reading about this a long time ago.

The more you shave, the darker the hair grows in.  There are options you can try, cream bleach for the face, go to a salon and have the mustache waxed, or there are tools for the face that remove hair.  Is there an Ulta in your area?  I've also seen this type of tool on QVC.

On 5/18/2022 at 8:43 AM, WELDON said:

The more you shave, the darker the hair grows in.  

That's an old wives tale...shaving doesn't create/cause darker hairs.

To the OP, you may want to talk to your doctor (dermatologist) about the skin discoloration/darkening in that area, there may be options for you.

There is a cream that will, over time, stop the hair from growing (Vaniqa) - but of course, once you stop using it, the hair will grow back.  I have a friend that uses it, and it works really well for her.

You aren't alone. Unfortunately, My Mom passed down the hairy lady genes to me. I shave mine too, I use an electric razor that also can work as an epilator but I hated epilating. I wouldn't use a real razor. (Eventually I plan to get waxed instead but 1) I'm too busy with 2 kids and 2) it's a money thing I'm a SAHM and it's not my priority at this time). Maybe it's because I use an electric razor but I see no change in quantity or thickness. But I do have more than probably most ladies do. I go as long as I can tolerate between shaving because I feel your body gets used to you doing it every day and would then require it every day. Also, I used to work in an assisted living, there are plenty of ladies with this issue, we just take care of it and we don't tend to talk about such things, lol.

Edited by oyme

• 3 weeks later...

Especially, with dark hair, laser removal works GREAT.  You may want to look into that, so you don't have to worry about it anymore!   My hair is pretty light, so tweezing or waxing works ok.

I use Flamingo strips to remove mine.  They come in a kit and it's cheaper and just as efficient as having it done at the salon.  I actually have the wax and warmer along with the strips and applicators and have for years.  I love the Flamingo because they don't make the mess the warmer does and you can travel with them easy!  I know Target sells Flamingo products, but I've always ordered direct from them.  I've been doing my brows, upper lip and chin hairs for years.  My unibrow is pretty much gone, I do my upper lip every so often.  The chin hairs I've taken to epilating.  They are a little on the tough side.

I cannot use any sort of chemical, strip, or waxing on my upper lip.  I went to a professional esthetician once and ended up with 1st degree burns.

For 20 years I have used Intuition shavers, and I get the refills on Ebay, and just bought 18 for $41, free shipping.  I use the shaver on my whole lower face, my forearms (yes, your arms look a lot younger with no hair), underarms, legs, and neckline.  I've never had any infections. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have been shaving my entire face and neck for at least five years...and I get testosterone pellets so facial and neck hair is abundant...lol.  The hair doesn't grow back thicker or darker and I get the added bonus of great exfoliation.  I use Dorco Tinkle Razors...you can Google them.  I get mine from Amazon.  I generally shave every couple of weeks.  I slather Bio-Oil Skincare oil on first and go to town!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
21 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Tweezers, once each hair is long enough to grip (it doesn't take much).  And tweezers are small and easy to pack for any hairs that appear while on a cruise.

This is what I've been doing since 2020. Prior to that, I got my upper lip waxed at the same time as my eyebrows (and like someone else in the thread, I've had some horrendous experiences with facial waxing, including a burn that took a layer of skin off under my eyebrow, but I have an amazing aesthetician who has never burned me in the 15+ years I've been seeing her.) 

Now, though, I just pull the dark hairs from my lip when I notice them. (And masks hide the worst of it anyway, most of the time.) 

• 2 weeks later...

I wax my upper lip most of it is just peach fuzz type hair but since menopause I have several longer dark hairs that just seem to pop up over night. I go to European Wax centers they are fabulous and not super expensive and the first wax with them is free what ever wax you choose to have. check them out if you have any nearby 

Temporary--Dermaplaning, which also gets rid of dead skin.

Then the next method would be a wax, at home or salon. Or threading. You can also use Sally Hansen wax strips at home to avoid the whole hot wax preparation.

Tweezing if just a couple hairs.

Laser for permanent removal.

If the skin darkening is melasma---then you can do OTC like Meladerm or hydroquinone product. I have not tried Musely which is prescription but you do it online--it has good reviews.

Or visit derm and get prescription strength Hydroquinone.

Permanent solution is laser.