What do the negative antigen results you show to get on board look like?

the_dylaness

Now that we can test TWO days prior to embarkation (whew! can you imagine flying to Rome with 2 kids and THEN finding out you have COVID?!) I'm looking around for a rapid antigen test.  We have to drive 3.5 hours to the airport so we need to do it in the fairly early morning.  I am actually able to get tested in the office where I work but it's not clear what kind of documentation is required.  Is just a printed note from the doctor on letterhead acceptable or do they need something from the actual test itself as well?  

(I work in an office that serves underserved and uninsured patients so we are not getting much call for international flights and pre-cruise testing, in case you are wondering why this hasn't come up before!)

10 minutes ago, the_dylaness said:

Now that we can test TWO days prior to embarkation (whew! can you imagine flying to Rome with 2 kids and THEN finding out you have COVID?!) I'm looking around for a rapid antigen test.  We have to drive 3.5 hours to the airport so we need to do it in the fairly early morning.  I am actually able to get tested in the office where I work but it's not clear what kind of documentation is required.  Is just a printed note from the doctor on letterhead acceptable or do they need something from the actual test itself as well?  

(I work in an office that serves underserved and uninsured patients so we are not getting much call for international flights and pre-cruise testing, in case you are wondering why this hasn't come up before!)

We get an electronic form from the testing showing negative or positive (and detail of test).  Stored on phone or printed out. 

• Like 1

CDC requirements for testing before flying into US. Other than the timing, the rest would apply:

A test result must be in the form of written documentation (paper or digital copy). The documentation must include:

1. Type of test (indicating it is a NAAT or antigen test)
  2. Entity issuing the result (e.g., laboratory, healthcare entity, or telehealth service)
  3. Sample collection date
    • A negative test result must show the sample was taken no more than 1 day before the flight.
    • A positive test result for documentation of recovery from COVID-19 must show the sample was taken within the 90 days before the flight.
  4. Information that identifies the person (full name plus at least one other identifier such as date of birth or passport number)
  5. Test result

Both doctor's offices/lab test reports and drug stores, in my experience, issue a written test result report.  It isn't on doctor's letterhead, it's a written test report form showing the entity that did the test (CVS, Walgreens, name of the medical facility), the name of the medical prof. who performed or reviewed the test, the date and time the test was given, what type of test it was and the results of the test.   For us, it was either emailed to us so that we had to access it giving our birth date, etc. to match up with the signup info we gave (CVS or Walgreens), or as a lab report in our medical MyChart account at our doctor's office.  For us, we then print copies of the report to show at the port.  Others photo them and put them on the cruise ap on their smartphones.  Always recommend taking a paper copy as a backup, though.

I'm not sure why someone provided info re Princess when OP is asking on the Celebrity forum.

Edited by 12cruise2

10 minutes ago, 12cruise2 said:

I'm not sure why someone provided info re Princess when OP is asking on the Celebrity forum.

Good point! My bad! I jump back and forth between Princess and Celebrity forums. Sorry about that. Here's the link on the Celebrity website for cruises out of Italy.

Travel Requirements for Italy Cruises | Celebrity Cruises

As well as general testing FAQs.

Health & Safety FAQs: Find Answers Online | Celebrity Cruises

Edited by Ken the cruiser

@SbbquilterUT

Thanks for posting- I am a little confused, though, are you saying we need to include info about our CLIA waiver on the letterhead we are giving to patients, or you are saying that the proctored telehealth companies HAVE a CLIA certification and thus that is why they can do the proctored home tests?

1 minute ago, the_dylaness said:

@SbbquilterUT

Thanks for posting- I am a little confused, though, are you saying we need to include info about our CLIA waiver on the letterhead we are giving to patients, or you are saying that the proctored telehealth companies HAVE a CLIA certification and thus that is why they can do the proctored home tests?

Wish I had more specifics but am not working any longer.  Again this is my understanding that for travel and documentation purposes the CLIA license does appear on the printed report and folks have reported being turned away from validation if it didn't.  

Just now, the_dylaness said:

TY @karmamulethat's helpful!

Our in-house lab is not CLIA certified, we have a waiver (this is pretty standard.)  I wonder if that is ok. 

I'm sure the waiver is fine for your needs, but I very much doubt it would work for travel purposes, which probably explains why nobody there knows how to do this...

You should be able to check with Celebrity, but for the cost vs risk I'd say just use one of the certified services...

Can you just make appointments for your family at a Walgreens or CVS to get an antigen test?  Or go on the Celebrity website and buy some of the proctored tests. That is what you will be needing. They are $35 ea. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mauimary said:

Can you just make appointments for your family at a Walgreens or CVS to get an antigen test?  Or go on the Celebrity website and buy some of the proctored tests. That is what you will be needing. They are $35 ea. 

I can vouch for proctored tests by emed, they're so convenient. We're always anxious to get it out of the way so if our cruise is on a Sunday we do our test Friday morning around 5am and there's always a proctor immediately available and they're very efficient. 15 minutes later the test is done and results are e-mailed almost instantly.

• Thanks 3

There are no CVS or Walgreens within 100 miles of us offering antigen tests, unfortunately. I have checked multiple times because I thought it was crazy (we live in a relatively large metropolitan area.)

I think the real question is this:

If you get a test in a doctor's office, do printed results, on letterhead, signed by the doctor, with date, time, name, DOB, etc qualify?  It seems like it would but I am just concerned.

The telemedicine testing service told us we needed 2 tests for each person- for all 5 of us round trip this will be about $800 which is nuts, when I can get the tests at least for the way there for FREE in the office where I am already employed!

Walgreens is typically the IDNow which is a NAAT test has quick results and is accepted by Celebrity.   CVS has recently reduced availability of Antigen testing and no longer offers for free if you only claim travel.

I think to get the answer if your employer test would be acceptable you would need to contact Celebrity and get their response in writing.

The bottom line is you cannot have your employer attest to your results on their letterhead.  You need to have a test that is a very clear type and attestation of the results. Thousands of cruisers, self included, have done this multiple times.  It is available through Celebrity website and EMed.  You state that you work in a physicians office. What part of this is not clear to you?  Just move on from having your doctor employer or nurse provide an attestation.  If you want to cruise take the test and provide the results as is clearly articulated by Celebrity and many cruisers!

• Like 1

@goldsmip115

I am not asking my employer to attest to results that are not true- I am asking if I go, as a paying customer (in a nurse visit, which is charged to insurance), in the office where I work (because it is convenient and we can be seen at the time we need to be seen...)

I want to take the test.

I have NO problems with this.

But I want to be sure that the test results, if negative, are documented to the correct standard.

Edited by the_dylaness
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

Walgreens is typically the IDNow which is a NAAT test has quick results and is accepted by Celebrity.   CVS has recently reduced availability of Antigen testing and no longer offers for free if you only claim travel.

I think to get the answer if your employer test would be acceptable you would need to contact Celebrity and get their response in writing.

The website says they only accept antigen testing... am I missing something?