Pre-owned handbags in shops onboard-were others aware?

Shami

32 minutes ago, BigAl94 said:

Typical dishonest Celebrity marketing. Would they look so attractive if honestly described as second hand shops?

10 minutes ago, rmalbers said:

I sort of wonder if all this is to make up for less sales on the 'art' now that most people figured that one out. 

My WAG (Wild A$$ Guess) are most people buying either used bags, used rolexs or "art" have an unusually large amount of OBC due to the pandemic

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

My WAG (Wild A$$ Guess) are most people buying either used bags, used rolexs or "art" have an unusually large amount of OBC due to the pandemic

All of this stuff is garbage. LV can be purchased for not much money in Europe, the Rolex watches are bastardized with non-genuine replacement parts and the art... NOPE!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

Rolex watches are bastardized with non-genuine replacement parts

I'm not being a " smart-ass "---But, how do you ( people in general ) know that ?

I ask because if that's true, you can never send the watch to an authorized Rolex dealer for cleaning/repair . The technician will notice that immediately and return it to the sender without servicing the watch.

LOL-- I have posted many times about an " old fart " we saw purchasing a "pre-loved" Rolex for his  beautiful 32 yr old (?) --- Not so sure he was thinking about the parts of the watch, rather uumm, etc etc.

My guess--- She don't love him as much since the cruise was over-- but has a beautiful memory----on her wrist . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pinboy said:

I'm not being a " smart-ass "---But, how do you ( people in general ) know that ?

I ask because if that's true, you can never send the watch to an authorized Rolex dealer for cleaning/repair . The technician will notice that immediately and return it to the sender without servicing the watch.

LOL-- I have posted many times about an " old fart " we saw purchasing a "pre-loved" Rolex for his  beautiful 32 yr old (?) --- Not so sure he was thinking about the parts of the watch, rather uumm, etc etc.

My guess--- She don't love him as much since the cruise was over-- but has a beautiful memory----on her wrist . 

They disclose that information to you when you ask. ALL of the watches they sell are old, preowned models, and the "papers" they come with are a COA from the watch company, not from Rolex.

If she ever tries to pawn/sell that "memory" there'll be a rude awakening. But for him, it might have been a good investment. 😉

Edited by Fly and Sail
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2023 at 5:28 PM, BigAl94 said:

Typical dishonest Celebrity marketing. Would they look so attractive if honestly described as second hand shops?

"Pre-loved" luxury handbag and jewelry shops are all the rage and have been for the past several years. Anyone who normally carries luxury handbags would find the fact that these are available on cruises a huge plus (while I am a "luxury handbag person" the reason I don't buy pre-loved is because there are extreme "superfakes" out there and even some of the top pre-loved retailers have been duped into selling replicas.) That said, I just saw a beautiful Hermes Birkin on my recent NCL Prima cruise and I WAS a tiny bit tempted since they are very hard to come by.

I would love if LV or Hermes would authorize authentic boutiques on cruise ships - just for the tax savings alone. I know Royal had Cartier and Bulgari boutiques on the Anthem a while back, not sure if they still do.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, pcakes122 said:

"Pre-loved" luxury handbag and jewelry shops are all the rage and have been for the past several years. Anyone who normally carries luxury handbags would find the fact that these are available on cruises a huge plus (while I am a "luxury handbag person" the reason I don't buy pre-loved is because there are extreme "superfakes" out there and even some of the top pre-loved retailers have been duped into selling replicas.) That said, I just saw a beautiful Hermes Birkin on my recent NCL Prima cruise and I WAS a tiny bit tempted since they are very hard to come by.

I would love if LV or Hermes would authorize authentic boutiques on cruise ships - just for the tax savings alone. I know Royal had Cartier and Bulgari boutiques on the Anthem a while back, not sure if they still do.

I’m not great about men’s fashion but I envy women who have so many choices for clothes and accessories.

On 5/4/2023 at 4:57 AM, Fly and Sail said:

LV can be purchased for not much money in Europe

What??? LV prices are standardised throughout the world. It's possible to save money with the VAT refund for people shopping in Europe but living elsewhere. I have several LV bags that I've bought in Europe while living in Europe, and I definitely didn't purchase them "for not much money." 

3 minutes ago, ExpatBride said:

What??? LV prices are standardised throughout the world. It's possible to save money with the VAT refund for people shopping in Europe but living elsewhere. I have several LV bags that I've bought in Europe while living in Europe, and I definitely didn't purchase them "for not much money." 

20% off is a significant amount off plus they are slightly cheaper and not 100% identical considering the exchange rate. Either way, LV bags are pretty trashy and not luxury.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Fly and Sail said:

20% off is a significant amount off plus they are slightly cheaper and not 100% identical considering the exchange rate. Either way, LV bags are pretty trashy and not luxury.

IF you're taking it out of the EU the VAT refund is somewhat significant, but the exchange rate alone doesn't add up to purchasing one for "not much money" (comparatively speaking).

I'd argue that most people looking at, for example, an Alma in Epi leather wouldn't know that they're looking at an LV. Not all LV is trashy, though I agree that it's not a luxury brand.

Could it be these luxury bags are made by the Chinese companies in Prato, Italy? If you have never heard about this, do some research. Over the past decade, Chinese companies bought out Italian companies. They brought in Chinese workers with Chinese materials. Technically, they are allowed to put "made in Italy" on the bag. 

The New Yorker magazine had a comprehensive article on this scam. There are many other resources to explain this phenomenon. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

Could it be these luxury bags are made by the Chinese companies in Prato, Italy? If you have never heard about this, do some research. Over the past decade, Chinese companies bought out Italian companies. They brought in Chinese workers with Chinese materials. Technically, they are allowed to put "made in Italy" on the bag. 

The New Yorker magazine had a comprehensive article on this scam. There are many other resources to explain this phenomenon. 

I just got off a 15 night TA on Apex last Sunday. There were 4 LV bags in the gift shop one sold mid cruise all were priced at around $2200 to $2400 USD. Sweet little sales girl said they were not pre loved but were a vintage style directly from LV's warehouse.  I checked them all quite thoroughly and did not see any signs of wear.  Every ship tells a different story. 

It was obvious to me on my Beyond cruise.  If you're familiar with high end bags, you'd realize right away that the prices were indicative of preloved pieces, and the bags themselves were not current styles.

The resale market for high end bags is very prolific and those who participate are typically very knowledgeable in the values of vintage bags and what red flags to look for that may affect the value.

No controversy at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drakes2 said:

I just got off a 15 night TA on Apex last Sunday. There were 4 LV bags in the gift shop one sold mid cruise all were priced at around $2200 to $2400 USD. Sweet little sales girl said they were not pre loved but were a vintage style directly from LV's warehouse.  I checked them all quite thoroughly and did not see any signs of wear.  Every ship tells a different story. 

Maybe new bags from Chinese workshops in Prata, Italy?

3 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Virtually all clothing (except maybe .1%) are made by laborers from 3rd world countries

But in Prata, Chinese laborers using Chinese materials work for these high end companies and can label their products not "Made in China" but MADE IN ITALY.

1 minute ago, Markanddonna said:

But in Prata, Chinese laborers using Chinese materials work for these high end companies and can label their products not "Made in China" but MADE IN ITALY.

Correct, just a dog and pony show.l, which is allowed in some countries who want the tax revenues or some other benefits 

4 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Correct, just a dog and pony show.l, which is allowed in some countries who want the tax revenues or some other benefits 

Right, the Belt and Road initiative all over the world where China is buying ports (they own 100% of the port of Athens in Pireaus), mines, farms, valuable infrastructure, etc. They give weak countries loans, knowing they will default on payments.

1 hour ago, momofmab said:

It was obvious to me on my Beyond cruise.  If you're familiar with high end bags, you'd realize right away that the prices were indicative of preloved pieces, and the bags themselves were not current styles.

The resale market for high end bags is very prolific and those who participate are typically very knowledgeable in the values of vintage bags and what red flags to look for that may affect the value.

No controversy at all.

If I was 20 years younger would definitely have bought one at that price. Now I just don't have enough special events to warrant using a beautiful LV bag certainly not taking to a grocery store. Hate to say it but my kids would not know the value and it would  probably end up in a dumpster one day. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ExpatBride said:

I was in Paris last fall and multiple bags/wallets LV, Gucci, Dior and YSL and my savings were close to 40% cheaper than what I would have paid at home.  It is not only VAT savings it is also the moving exchange rates.