Voom, Internet, Wi Fi, etc.

Trying to figure out what is what, and honestly, I'm a bit confused.  Going on Ovation to Alaska in August.  I don't mind a week without internet access - actually I welcome it.  However, I do want to be able to use the RCCL App while onboard, and I would like to be able to at least text with the kids at home just in case.  Also, going with friends, so I'd like to be able to text them on board and in ports.  What do I need to do?  Don't need everything, but I'd like to have the basics.

Thanks!!!

If using just royal app for shows and schedule, just need to connect to wifi which is free for just the app.

Texting with people not on ship requires internet. Surf, stream, or just cell service at ports (not free)

There is a chat app you can use to talk to people on the ship who have the app.. it's like 2 dollars a day but you can't text with people off the ship.

You can use the app for free. You can use the chat feature of the app for $1.99/day/

However, if you want to text the outside world (kids) you'll need "Surf." It's the slower, cheaper version of internet access available. Fine for texting, e-mail, etc. Less fine for videos, certain apps, etc.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mikewa said:

Also, going with friends, so I'd like to be able to text them on board and in ports. 

You can do the latter and text the kids (except Victoria) with your US based plan but not the former (without some paid plan). 

Edited by Biker19

24 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

You can do the latter and text the kids (except Victoria) with your US based plan but not the former (without some paid plan). 

My ATT plan includes Canada and Mexico.

23 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

We’ve used this on numerous Alaska Cruises, it works quite well at certain latitudes. You do need a long string. 

81645590-5004-4B59-BC31-5BEEB6711DD0.jpeg

Hahaha very good!

On 5/20/2022 at 2:22 PM, Mikewa said:

Trying to figure out what is what, and honestly, I'm a bit confused.  Going on Ovation to Alaska in August.  I don't mind a week without internet access - actually I welcome it.  However, I do want to be able to use the RCCL App while onboard, and I would like to be able to at least text with the kids at home just in case.  Also, going with friends, so I'd like to be able to text them on board and in ports.  What do I need to do?  Don't need everything, but I'd like to have the basics.

Thanks!!!

You can use the Royal App without an internet package onboard. 

When you are in port, you are in the United States and almost all carriers have decent service. You have one Canadian port, and many mobile plans include Canada. 

That leaves you two sea days when you probably can do without internet. 

For you to text people on the ship, everyone needs to have an internet package. And be on the internet. Probably won't happen. (e.g., we buy one package and share it between all of our devices 2 x (personal cell phone, work cell phone, ipad) = 6 devices total). Both of us would never have a cell phone "online" at the same time). 

9 minutes ago, renza said:

How much is internet on board. We have 3 free days with diamond. Thinking it maybe cheaper to purchase 4 days on board. Harmony to be exact

Each Diamond member gets one free day of Surf (the slow version, not Surf & Stream) OR you can apply the cost of one day of Surf ($26 or so) to buying any internet offered (one day of surf and stream, rest of the cruise either type, etc.).

If you're OK sharing one account (only one person can be on one device with the free day you mentioned), the cheapest way to have internet for the whole cruise is usually to use each person's discount for one day (either Surf for free or pay the difference for Surf & Stream) and then use the last person's discount to purchase the remainder of the cruise (which is a discounted price per day).

Another tip/trick is if you can wait until past midnight on day one, you have one less day to cover.

Hope this makes sense.

Edited by OCSC Mike

2 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

Each Diamond member gets one free day of Surf (the slow version, not Surf & Stream) OR you can apply the cost of one day of Surf ($26 or so) to buying any internet offered (one day of surf and stream, rest of the cruise either type, etc.).

If you're OK sharing one account (only one person can be on one device with the free day you mentioned), the cheapest way to have internet for the whole cruise is usually to use each person's discount for one day (either Surf for free or pay the difference for Surf & Stream) and then use the last person's discount to purchase the remainder of the cruise (which is a discounted price per day).

Another tip/trick is if you can wait until past midnight on day one, you have one less day to cover.

Hope this makes sense.

Yes we always just purchase one device and share. 

About device sharing. If I understand, we could buy one 'connection' and use multiple devices ( iPhone and iPads) - but only one connected to the internet  at a time. Do I have this right?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Bxc53 said:

About device sharing. If I understand, we could buy one 'connection' and use multiple devices ( iPhone and iPads) - but only one connected to the internet  at a time. Do I have this right?

Yes.

As others have said the Royal App on board is free.  If you just want to text your kids back home you can do that by keeping your phone on just turn the data off.   It will cost like $50 cents per text outgoing up incoming is free. You can check with your carrier.  We always leave our phone on for emergencies just turn the data off.    Also since your are going to Alaska every port in Alaska will have American cell service for free.  

Does anyone know the cost of buying just one day of surf and stream?  I'm hoping to do my proctored covid tests on the last full day (sea day) of my Alaska cruise next month.  

@BirdTravels had a good point, being an Alaskan cruise, there's really just the 2 sea days we'd be without connectivity.. that may have helped make up my mind.  But if the price is astronomical to buy it for one day, then maybe I'd just buy the 1 device package and have us all log on one at a time to do our tests.

On 5/22/2022 at 1:09 PM, Bxc53 said:

Yes that is correct.  I usually buy the device package.  My wife and myself switch between multiple devices.  Android, Iphones, laptop, tablet etc.  We just made sure that each of us only had one device connect at anyone time.

One time, we bought a three device package, because on our in-laws child needed internet access for school purposes.  It was cheaper for her parents for us to have a third device.  They paid us back with them buying me glasses of wine until we were even.  Note.  I didn't keep track if we were actually even.

On 5/20/2022 at 4:51 PM, Tree_skier said:

My ATT plan includes Canada and Mexico.

We have AT&T too.  While in Victoria the DW connected with her iPhone but I had a problem with my Samsung.   Not sure why.

I have a question about the packages.  For my 9 day Canada and New England cruise the current sale has the following-

surf & stream

1 person             $179.91

2 people              $359.82

1 person & 2 devices.      $278.91

Is there a reason not to buy the third option for my son & me?  I assume we will have only one username and password, but can use 2 devices at the same time.  Why would I pay an extra $80 for a separate username and password?

3 minutes ago, ATG said:

I have a question about the packages.  For my 9 day Canada and New England cruise the current sale has the following-

surf & stream

1 person             $179.91

2 people              $359.82

1 person & 2 devices.      $278.91

Is there a reason not to buy the third option for my son & me?  I assume we will have only one username and password, but can use 2 devices at the same time.  Why would I pay an extra $80 for a separate username and password?

Absolutely get the 3rd option 

13 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

We have AT&T too.  While in Victoria the DW connected with her iPhone but I had a problem with my Samsung.   Not sure why.

I wonder what the deal was with the Samsung.  Both DW and I have iPhones and have used them extensively in Canada.