Viewing Ship Location

ltlqtgrl

Hello!  I have what may be a very silly question.  Is there a way to see the ship’s location using the stateroom TV or medallion app?  I was on a ship a few weeks ago and couldn’t find a map showing the location anywhere.  If not, is there an app or website anyone can recommend to track the ship while sailing?  I tried using google maps, but as soon as I turned on airplane mode it would stop updating my location.  Headed to Alaska in July and would love to see where the ship is while sailing.  Thank you!

7 minutes ago, ltlqtgrl said:

Hello!  I have what may be a very silly question.  Is there a way to see the ship’s location using the stateroom TV or medallion app?  I was on a ship a few weeks ago and couldn’t find a map showing the location anywhere.  If not, is there an app or website anyone can recommend to track the ship while sailing?  I tried using google maps, but as soon as I turned on airplane mode it would stop updating my location.  Headed to Alaska in July and would love to see where the ship is while sailing.  Thank you!

Yes, there's a thingy on the tv for that. I think it's under Patter, but it might be under My Cruise. We actually don't remember, but we did look at that several times. Also, this website will show where your ship is: https://www.cruisemapper.com/

• Like 1

You could bring a sextant too.😁

I don't remember the app having location. The room TV offers location, but not as specific as I would like. To the side of Passenger Services is usually a TV which gives very specific information, alternating with weather as I recall. That was in March.

If you buy WiFi, or off the ship, the previously mentioned Cruisemapper is good for cruise ships only. It makes fewer demands on your device than MarineTraffic, which also tracks other commercial vessels you might happen to see from deck or balcony. 

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 1

I use Google maps when I am on the ship and Cruisemapper when I'm off the ship and want to know where a ship is.  As long as I am connected to internet (even in airplane mode), Google maps works although it was very slow on my last cruise (probably because download speeds were slow).  I haven't tried it for this purpose (but have used it for traveling remote parts of the country) but you can also download Google maps for off-line use.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ltlqtgrl said:

It's frustrating! Here's what we do. I go to cruisemapper.com, get the coordinates and copy/paste into Google Maps. You have to key them into Google Maps in this format:  52.37662, -132.21565  It's still pretty slow. 

The TV map isn't work for me. It's not detailed enough. 

• Like 1