My first cruise

SarahHben

We arrived in Hellesylt yesterday morning and it was an internet dead spot so couldn’t update. 
Hellesylt  is small but pretty, amazing fjordal scenery. I was up early again and took lots of photos, then watched the docking process, some of the ropes were attached to bouys in the water so I found it fascinating watching a little boat taking the ropes from the ship and fastening them.

We went to the buffet for breakfast for the first time and made up some ham rolls for a packed lunch and took some fruit from the fruit bowl in our cabin.
Before the change of itinerary we had booked the Mount Dalsnibba trip but that got cancelled and new excursions offered so we decided to do the ‘explore on your own’ option with a boat trip to Geiranger. 

There was a powerful picturesque waterfall not for from where we had docked so we disembarked early so that we had a chance to walk up the side of the waterfall and take photos. The path up past the waterfall was too steep for mum’s wheelchair but my sister said that they took her to the foot of it while we were on our excursion.

It’s a pretty place, I think there were a few places to walk but we didn’t go further afield because we went to the meeting point for the excursion.

We have heard a few mumbles about poor organisation for the excursions but we have had no issues, there are always plenty of staff around to help. Because our trip was explore in our own we must have been told at least a dozen times that we MUST  get to the Geiranger boat by 2:45.

The boat ride was great, we managed to get a spot on deck right at the aft and hoping that I got some good photos. The journey was around 1 hour 15mins to get from Hellesylt to Geiranger and there were beautiful views all the way, just stunning.

The weather was much improved we even had some blue sky and sunshine.

Once in Geiranger we went and waved at the webcam near the dock and my niece and our son took some screenshots of us waving at the camera, then we went in search of loos. We found a little rectangular hut with a glass side that had toilets, thankfully not with glass doors but the sinks etc were on show, there was a turnstile just inside the door and a point to tap your credit card in to get in, my husband thinks it was about £2 to ‘spend a Penny’.

We found a stone seat with a view and ate our little lunch enjoying the beautiful scenery. We realised then that we had forgotten the sun screen 🙄
After lunch  we walked up the many metal steps up the side of the waterfall, and it was well worth it, it was such a powerful waterfall it was incredible. The metal walkway took us over part of the waterfall, I didn’t particularly enjoy that bit and instructed by husband to scoop me up quick if there was an issue. I survived! I even made it back again to go down, I’m not very brave 😂

By the time we had done that there was around 45 minutes until we had to be ready to get the boat back to Hellesylt so we bought a few tacky magnets and a lovely pastry each and sat and waited while gazing at the pretty fjord and village. Hubbie & I both agree it was our favourite day.

My sister, brother in law and parents stayed in Hellesylt and wandered round in the morning and sat in the sun in the afternoon. While on land they came across a passenger who had been hit by a car and had to go to hospital in an ambulance, apparently the nearest hospital was quite a way away. Rumour on ship has it that she had an open fracture of the leg but no idea if that is fact or fiction. I’ve no idea what happens to luggage etc in those circumstances, but feel desperately sorry for the poor lady.

Our little boat was a bit late back to Iona because one of the excursion coaches were late back but once all we’re onboard the captain and pilot took Iona down the Geiranger fjord, we went just a little further than the seven sisters waterfall, then the ship pirouetted round in the middle of the fjord and sailed back the other way. I know I’m a novice cruiser but found it fascinating and incredible how such a huge ship can turn like that.

Anyway we were exhausted after being on our feet most of the time since breakfast so I went to collapse on our balcony while Mr B kindly made me a cup of tea in The Quays, he actually came back to the cabin with two cups of tea each and a mini pudding each, he’s well trained 😊

We sat on our balcony for the first half of the scenic sail down the fjord then headed to dinner with the relatives at the Pearl restaurant. I had prawn cocktail, steak and baked treacle tart. All of which were very good.

The theatre show was Headliners Festival, my husband wasn’t as keen but I enjoyed the singing, 3 or 4 of them had super voices. It was the acting in between that we found a bit cringy. It was very teenagery, a good choice of songs though. It’s not something we would go and watch again. 

There was a 25% off Pandora sale and mum wanted to have a look so we went there, no room for a wheelchair though so mum hobbled in leaning on me. She chose what she wanted then I queued up to get it with dad and his cruise card. It was packed, very busy with only two people serving, I think we waited for half an hour.

Mr B & I were exhausted so went to our cabin early but it’s so light in the evenings, before you know it it’s midnight.

Edited by SarahHben
  • Like 20

So today we are in Haugesund. 
We had a rain shower to start the day but since then it’s been part sun part cloud and when the sun is shining it’s quite warm.

We are currently enjoying the sun on our balcony and it’s nice to have a relaxing afternoon and not rushing around doing lots.

Thats the positives!

Others May feel differently but an hour and a half was plenty of time for us to look around and take a few photos. I really think it’s worth doing an excursion from Haugesund because there’s not much to do here.

The biggest problem for us is that we haven’t found it to be wheelchair friendly at all. Even getting away from the ship docking area was difficult. The flat path took us right through where people we’re waiting for their coach yours so I had to ‘excuse me’ my way through everyone. People are mainly very kind though and let us through. Then we found that there are not many dropped kerbs here, not even at the pedestrian crossings. I saw a couple of wheelchair users staying in the road but between the 5 of us we managed to lift the wheelchair up and down the kerbs. Next was an enormous long bridge that we had to push the wheelchair up and over, oh my goodness it was hard going. My sister and I both pushed together and then going down the other side mum kept a hand on the brake just incase 🥴 my husband did the pushing on the way back. 
Many of the shops were shut because it’s a national holiday and to get to the main view points there were lots of hills and steps so it was a bit frustrating for mum. We were only off ship for an hour and a half I think. 
We had a very light lunch in the buffet and then went to Aqua restaurant for afternoon tea. The sandwiches weren’t great but the scones were delicious and there was a good choice of cakes, the prawn rolls were good and my sister and brother in law don’t like prawns so we ate theirs.
We will have a later dinner so we are just relaxing now, enjoying the sun and the rest.

The acrobatic show is on for the first time in the SkyDome tonight so we’re hoping to get along to that. 

• Like 17

Thank you for your views on Haugesund. We are due to call there next year when we sail on Britannia along with my son and daughter-in-law and her parents. As we haven't been there before it is helpful to have information and know what to expect.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, purplesea said:

Thank you for your views on Haugesund. We are due to call there next year when we sail on Britannia along with my son and daughter-in-law and her parents. As we haven't been there before it is helpful to have information and know what to expect.

I might be feeling more negative about it because it was really hard going with mum and the wheelchair, plus I’m sure it didn’t help that many shops were closed. 
We all said that if we came back we would do an excursion.
I’m just glad the weather has been nice or it could have been a miserable last port day.

Edited by SarahHben
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

I might be feeling more negative about it because it was really hard going with mum and the wheelchair, plus I’m sure it didn’t help that many shops were closed. 
I’m just glad the weather has been nice or it could have been a miserable last port day.

You mentioned earlier that you have a wheelchair with the large rear wheels. I do think the wheelchairs with the four small wheels are more manoeuvrable plus are easy to get up and down kerbs. 

Edited by Gettingwarmer
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

You mentioned earlier that you have a wheelchair with the large rear wheels. I do think the wheelchairs with the four small wheels are more manoeuvrable plus are easy to get up and down kerbs. 

Mum has a wheelchair with four small wheels and I struggled up and down kerbs when in Lisbon. Others in our tour group helped by lifting it up and down the kerbs!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, purplesea said:

Mum has a wheelchair with four small wheels and I struggled up and down kerbs when in Lisbon. Others in our tour group helped by lifting it up and down the kerbs!

The wheelchair I used had a pedal on the back which you could use to lever the chair back to get up the kerb. 

1 minute ago, Gettingwarmer said:

The wheelchair I used had a pedal on the back which you could use to lever the chair back to get up the kerb. 

Yes, Mum's has but I still struggled!! In fact I had a sore hip that evening and the next couple of days.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, purplesea said:

I find that when there are no drop kerbs, then going down them backwards is the safest way, but going up the other side is probably best forwards.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

These small fjord villages have very little to offer. Maybe a couple of coffee shops and a souvenire shop ( they are all the same). Need to do excursions. The likes of bigger places like  Stavanger and Bergen however offer more interest to wander on your own.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, P&O SUE said:

Fantastic photos yet again @SarahHbenGlad you still managed to enjoy Geiranger.

I haven’t heard many good reports about Hausgesund I must admit. Shame they seemed to have stopped going to Bergen.

Bergen is good, particularly the funicular up to the forest area. Great views and walks and a lovely restaurant up there.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, purplesea said:

As you are discovering ,very difficult with small wheels. My wife's chair has 2 small in the front and 2 larger ones at the back. when mounting a kerb, I lean the chair back allowing me to place the small wheels on the pavement and then lift the chair and push forward. In some of the cobbled Baltic ports ,I found it easier to walk back wards effectively pulling the chair. all a learning curve for you, it will be better next time, and there will be a next time!

• Thanks 1

On 5/25/2022 at 10:53 AM, lincslady said:

That main dish looks enormous, Sarah - but no doubt delicious. (A bit like some of Graham's!)  

In what way 'different' to when Atol Kuchar was in charge?  Better, worse or just different?

IMO Sindhu went seriously downhill after Atul Kochhar left and we stopped going for that very reason.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, SarahHben said:

I've just found your thread Sarah, and have thoroughly enjoyed reading it. You have a way with words that brought your cruise to life. You seem to have had a lovely first cruise, and I'm sure there will be many more. You certainly seem to have the right attitude for cruising. Enjoy your last few days aboard.

Avril

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, purplesea said:

I remember we took an excursion there - the one that stops at a viewing point which wasn’t that spectacular compared to others up the actual fjords. A quick stop by the town hall (I think) and also out to see a national monument. All in all, pretty underwhelming! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1