Seabourn newb with question on early bonus saving

Never sailed Seabourn before and am interested in an itinerary on the Encore in Spring 2024. (We usually do suites on Celebrity but the itinerary I am looking at on Seabourn is quite interesting)

I see that Seabourn is offering a 10% discount if I pay in full by June 1.

Does anyone know if this is refundable?  i.e., if I change my mind after payment in full but prior to the final payment deadline, can I get a full refund to the original form of payment?  And how quickly does Seabourn process refunds?

Also, generally, is this offer a good deal, or does Seabourn have better deals closer in to 2024?

Any insights from experienced Seabourn cruisers would be greatly appreciated.

All money paid before last payment date is 100% refundable , except for insurance just like on Celebrity.

we are booked for our first Seabourn cruise this December, and took advantage of the savings, we are waiting until final payment due date to add insurance.

Joseph

Yes, the full prepayment, just like the initial deposit, is fully refundable before penalty period starts.  It is normally advantageous to take advantage of this, unless you can manage to invest your money elsewhere and get a better ROI.  Not idea how quickly Seabourn handles refunds these days.  My guess is that it is not bad, unlike those early covid days back in 2020 when system and staffing were overwhelmed.

Not sure I understand your 2nd question about whether this is a good deal.  10% off is a great deal.  If you're asking about the cruise pricing itself, I don't know if anybody would know.  Obviously, one would think that less popular voyages would get promotions close-in, while more popular voyages would either get price increases or be sold out. 

While I agree 10% is a major savings.. it is so, only if you have the cash... if you have to charge it to "a card"  and not able to pay the balance off at statement.. then no it's not a good deal..jmho

• Like 2

We've done this before and it's a very nice savings.  Check with your agent or whomever you make the reservation with.  I would bet if the cruise is Spring '24, the offer will be good until June '23, not this June, but if it's a popular route, maybe not.

Thanks all for your responses.

I guess I have a bit of a philosophical issue with fronting so much cash to any business for almost 2 years, even if refundable.

I noticed that the V5 and V6 veranda suites are no longer available on our sailing, so that could be a sign that I may need to act soon. 

2 hours ago, CalTexCruiser said:

Thanks all for your responses.

I guess I have a bit of a philosophical issue with fronting so much cash to any business for almost 2 years, even if refundable.

I noticed that the V5 and V6 veranda suites are no longer available on our sailing, so that could be a sign that I may need to act soon. 

My issue is more than philosophical.  After the Crystal bankruptcy, I think most people would be reluctant to pay in full so far ahead.  Mr. SLSD is a retired business bankruptcy attorney and he wouldn't do it.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dawntrdr said:

How was Seabourn at making refunds when the pandemic cancellations started in 2020?   

We had a big cruise booked beginning April 2020.   Refunds happened but we have to remember how difficult it all was for people, for companies, for organising staff to action refunds, for systems, etc.

It happened but it took quite a long time. 

Seabourn did eventually make it right with everyone who needed refunds due to canceled sailings.

We are doing final payment this week for the Pursuit Xmas Antartica Cruise 2023 because 10% early bird ends up being a significant amount of savings. We are also happy to be able to confirm the exact room we want on the exact sailing we want.

It's all refundable on the regular schedule anyway, so I feel like the risk is minimal.

On 5/22/2022 at 8:56 AM, rucrazy said:

While I agree 10% is a major savings.. it is so, only if you have the cash... if you have to charge it to "a card"  and not able to pay the balance off at statement.. then no it's not a good deal..jmho

If you do not have the cash to pay early for a substantial discount how were you planning to pay the final payment when due? I am surprised anyone booking a luxury cruise could not afford to pay early for the discount and instead would pay credit card interest rates to cruise versus sailing a cruise they could afford without a credit card loan. I understand if it is more than a year out or a cash flow timing issue of a couple months but. IMHO.

Edited by Jimmycruiser

On 5/25/2022 at 7:51 PM, Jimmycruiser said:

If you do not have the cash to pay early for a substantial discount how were you planning to pay the final payment when due? I am surprised anyone booking a luxury cruise could not afford to pay early for the discount and instead would pay credit card interest rates to cruise versus sailing a cruise they could afford without a credit card loan. I understand if it is more than a year out or a cash flow timing issue of a couple months but. IMHO.

Who pays credit card interest fees?

43 minutes ago, Mahogany said:

Who pays credit card interest fees?

I was responding to post #7 who thinks some do and can not afford the early pay 10% discount. Ours was only 5 months out so the 10% discount to pay early was a no brainer and I would assume most that cruise luxury lines do not pay CC interest.

Edited by Jimmycruiser