REFUSED SERVICE OF ALCOHOL IN GREEK PORTS?

iloveglee

Has anyone sailed to Greece recently, and found that they are refused to be served alcoholic drinks whilst the ship is in port.  There seems to be some issue with this on NCL cruises, passengers are being told that they cannot serve alcohol while docked, as it's the law.  

Comments from anyone who has sailed in recent weeks welcome. 

39 minutes ago, iloveglee said:

Has anyone sailed to Greece recently, and found that they are refused to be served alcoholic drinks whilst the ship is in port.  There seems to be some issue with this on NCL cruises, passengers are being told that they cannot serve alcohol while docked, as it's the law.  

Comments from anyone who has sailed in recent weeks welcome. 

Regardless of the cruise line, I have never been denied alcoholic drinks in any ship port. What specific port are you talking about and what ship?  

Sorry no firsthand knowledge here, but for others that haven't seen this yet, @Wendy&Grumpy posted this re the current NCL Gem sailing on the Greece Ports of Call thread showing NCL is NOT serving while in port:

122530362_Screenshot2022-05-22124035.jpg

Edited by SeaHunt
clarity
  • Like 1

This is very strange, and one would have thought that NCL would have been advising clients prior to them booking their cruise.  I for one might have considered a different itinerary.  But it's interesting that currently this appears to be NCL.  Customs authorities one would have thought had jurisdiction on all cruise ships?

I'm not very happy I just admit having paid over £1000 per person, including our £149 extra for the drink package, which is a reasonable amount of money, to not be able to take advantage of it for a considerable amount of time.  Our itinerary is in a greek port every day except for half a day in Turkey.  

I guess, as has been mentioned in another thread you can make contingencies for this, getting drinks when they are at sea, and taking them to your cabin.  OK with spirits but beers are a bit of a challenge, unless they'd agree to let you have them unopened.

I imagine the staff aren't too thrilled about this, they are after all the front facing people and the ones who come in for any arguments flying around.

Fact is, if this the case, Norwegian should be warning prospective clients BEFORE they book.  

• Like 2

This must be a new regulation.

The last time I was on a cruise (2019) that had numerous Greek ports, not only was there bar service while docked, but we were also given a welcome back alcoholic beverage on the pier when reboarding. 

Spoke to a NCL advisor and they didnt know anything about it. I refered them to this page and after checking confirmed that this is the case and that alcahol cannot be served within 6 miles of a Greek port. He said  I should put in my concern on the NCL website under precruise concerns. We have 3 greek ports over 7 days begining 3 of july. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/22/2022 at 11:25 AM, Oxo said:

Regardless of the cruise line, I have never been denied alcoholic drinks in any ship port. What specific port are you talking about and what ship?  

Royal restricts brands on sailings out of Galveston. Its a local law. You can get a drink but probably not your fav brand.