Too Much information

We were just on a cruise on the Mariner from Miami to San Francisco. The ship used Facial Recognition system to go on/off the ship. My understanding is that the system also looks at your body temp. My question is what else will the system do? I for one have a checked past and am very worried 😃

15 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

What mask?  🤔

Yes, I was going to mention this…masks were optional on the ship.so not necessary for the facial recognition system to enter/return to the ship.  But some people will just not wear a mask, no matter what….despite being told to wear a mark on an excursion bus or a public building requiring one.  They just refused to do so.  And I am by no means “ageist”, but they always seemed to be the eldest passengers on the ship. Go figure! 

• Like 1

They already have your picture.  Facial scans when you get on/off the ship don't really further compromise your privacy.  I believe facial recognition software works off both photos and live scans.  If the US government was collecting passenger images from cruise ships, they'd already have yours with or without facial scans.

On 5/24/2022 at 3:59 PM, Sunprince said:

Yes, I was going to mention this…masks were optional on the ship.so not necessary for the facial recognition system to enter/return to the ship.  But some people will just not wear a mask, no matter what….despite being told to wear a mark on an excursion bus or a public building requiring one.  They just refused to do so.  And I am by no means “ageist”, but they always seemed to be the eldest passengers on the ship. Go figure! 

If it’s required-simple and just don’t let them in or on. period.

• Like 2

On 5/26/2022 at 11:07 PM, ronrick1943 said:

If it’s required-simple and just don’t let them in or on. period.

The problem with that is...social media.  Whether they're right or wrong (usually wrong), people who ignore the rules and get called out for it tend to go online and flame the company on every possible venue.  If the company ignores it, they're called insensitive.  If they try and refute it, they're called arrogant, or worse.

It's a lose-lose situation.  I don't know why people can't just follow the damn rules...

• Like 11

On 5/23/2022 at 9:13 PM, captjohn said:

We were just on a cruise on the Mariner from Miami to San Francisco. The ship used Facial Recognition system to go on/off the ship. My understanding is that the system also looks at your body temp. My question is what else will the system do? I for one have a checked past and am very worried 😃

Not on Regent yet, as I take my first sailing on Splendor in November 2023, but I first encountered Facial Rec. on my Celebrity and Norwegian sailings and assumed it was standard.

I take from your post this is something new for Regent?

On 5/31/2022 at 7:02 AM, UUNetBill said:

The problem with that is...social media.  Whether they're right or wrong (usually wrong), people who ignore the rules and get called out for it tend to go online and flame the company on every possible venue.  If the company ignores it, they're called insensitive.  If they try and refute it, they're called arrogant, or worse.

It's a lose-lose situation.  I don't know why people can't just follow the damn rules...

So are you saying if you do something against the rule—doesn’t matter? Do what you want because no one (Regent) won’t take action anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2022 at 8:39 PM, ronrick1943 said:

So are you saying if you do something against the rule—doesn’t matter? Do what you want because no one (Regent) won’t take action anyway.

No, I'm saying that's the prevailing mindset these days and companies are less likely to confront the jackasses who are flaunting the rules to avoid bad reviews, online rants, etc.

Personally I'd like to see them take the overly obstinate and/or repeat offenders and put them ashore.

But if you listen to the prevailing posts on this, people are acting more and more entitled and the company is less and less likely to address it.  And God forbid a fellow passenger chimes in...

"This is the dawning of the age of the idiots, age of the idiots....the idiots!!!"  IMO, of course.

• Like 1

We were on the Splendor in November and the Mariner in March.  In both cases the facial recognition system was used.  Its obvious advantage is that it allowed quick embarkation and disembarkation.  In addition, when I asked the question directly to a senior officer, I was informed that yes it also was used to take passengers' temperatures.  This was the same or similar system that had been used in our health club for months.  Although I never saw anyone put in quarantine after they had an above 100 degree fever, I suspect that information was combined with a Covid test to determine if quarantine was warranted.  We had no problem with Regent obtaining the information and it made our transiting the gang plank that much faster.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UUNetBill said:

No, I'm saying that's the prevailing mindset these days and companies are less likely to confront the jackasses who are flaunting the rules to avoid bad reviews, online rants, etc.

Personally I'd like to see them take the overly obstinate and/or repeat offenders and put them ashore.

But if you listen to the prevailing posts on this, people are acting more and more entitled and the company is less and less likely to address it.  And God forbid a fellow passenger chimes in...

"This is the dawning of the age of the idiots, age of the idiots....the idiots!!!"  IMO, of course.

Agree—-any more I don’t care what others do—I’ll still be wearing a mask and be as safe as I can.  I also wish and hope cruise lines would take those that follow rules regarding Covid off the ship.

The odd thing is, when these idiots get Covid on the ship, they complain that the company doesn’t do enough for them.  Your right, idiots, period.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UUNetBill said:

"Aquarius?"   HAHAHAHAHA

• Haha 2