Carnival Freedom Funnel Fire

d12j28

13 minutes ago, groundloop said:

Does anyone here have knowledge of the ship's construction and what could have started a fire up there?   All I'm coming up with is accumulated soot in the exhaust stack catching fire, but that's just totally speculation and way too premature.

Probably a good guess. They were belching lots of black some yesterday 

1 hour ago, markp9114 said:

I’m supposed to sail on Freedom on Saturday….this is concerning. Will call carnival later today and ask about it.

That ship will be out of commission for 4-6 months most likely. That is major damage. The NCL Escape was out of commission almost 8 weeks when she ran aground with 'minor damage.' 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, WheresWalter said:

I'm sure there is a potential for toxic substances from the fire. Standard precaution after an event like this. 

Agreed. Just an eerie sight, but so is a funnel fire.  

18 minutes ago, pc_load_letter said:

The Shiplife on youtube has a video of an officer (can't get a good view to tell which one) discussing paint fumes with some passengers and what Carnival is going to offer them $$ (VERY nice compensation JMO) - that part starts about the 7:00 mark:

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, WheresWalter said:

That ship will be out of commission for 4-6 months most likely. That is major damage. The NCL Escape was out of commission almost 8 weeks when she ran aground with 'minor damage.' 

Oh man...Didn't book insurance for our flights or cruise, so now figuring out how to salvage this family vacation. Does anyone know how to search for cruises that are leaving this Saturday from Port Canaveral? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Indytraveler83 said:

Curious if this is just a fire in the funnel (maybe build up?) or if it's an engine fire that erupted out the funnel.  

My thoughts exactly. Glad they were able to get it extinguished.

I hope chengkp75 comes along soon to give us his thoughts. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lee Cruiser said:

Looking at that funnel, I would guess that Freedom won't be doing more cruises anytime soon

Indeed, depending on the insurance arrangements, the scrapyard may be it's next cruise and best option for the bottom line. That damage isn't cosmetic only.  

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, markp9114 said:

Oh man...Didn't book insurance for our flights or cruise, so now figuring out how to salvage this family vacation. Does anyone know how to search for cruises that are leaving this Saturday from Port Canaveral? 

There's really nothing still available. Especially if you need it to be a 5 day cruise. 

14 minutes ago, markp9114 said:

Well, besides Carnival Port Canaveral has Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, Disney, and MSC so other than calling a travel agent your only other option is checking each of those websites to see what's available.

12 minutes ago, markp9114 said:

Only thing I see available is Mardi Gras leaving Saturday for. 7 day. They had all types of cabins showing. Good luck!  To search, go on carnival.com and look under Find A Cruise. Choose Port Canaveral, and choose May. That will bring up what’s available. Sure hope Carnival comes up with something for those affected by this!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, SeaHunt said:

The Shiplife on youtube has a video of an officer (can't get a good view to tell which one) discussing paint fumes with some passengers and what Carnival is going to offer them $$ (VERY nice compensation JMO) - that part starts about the 7:00 mark:

Wow. Carnival can't catch a break.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, markp9114 said:

You can check 90 day ticker - you have to sign in but its worth it researching all cruises.

https://www.*****.com/   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, groundloop said:

Well, besides Carnival Port Canaveral has Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, Disney, and MSC so other than calling a travel agent your only other option is checking each of those websites to see what's available.

I looked at MSC because we did a 5 day out of there but the cruises leaving this weekend are 7 and 11 days. 

15 minutes ago, markp9114 said:

Your best alternative is probably Mardi Gras for 7 nights leaving the same day.  You would probably still need to change return flights, unless you were staying a couple of days after the cruise. 

Maybe a trip to Disney World, Universal Studios or Sea World is a good alternative if you can’t change flights easily.

CPA-Website-Schedule-May-Sept.pdf.aspx?l

• Like 1

I'd stick with a cruise if you can.  We have annual passes to WDW, Sea World and Universal.

Trust me you do not want to be in the parks on a holiday weekend.  Plus all local schools here in central Florida are out for the summer starting Friday.

Best of Luck, if you can stretch your trip the Mardi Gras is a beautiful ship.  We sailed her in January and will again July 9.

As a retired Marine Engineer and 40 years in power plant generation,  I'd put my best guess on the previously noted soot build up like a wood stove chimney fire.  Thank God all are safe and it happened at a port and not at sea.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

15 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Wow. Carnival can't catch a break.  

Wow is right! Good you tube video. Very informative. Comped cruise, $1,500 FCC, $1,200 cash settlement. Must be pretty bad on the Magic! And the Freedom problem the same day! Wow! :classic_ohmy:

• Like 1

We’re on the Mardi Gras, docked right next to the Freedom.  This was our view of the fire this morning.

All efforts were taken to keep passengers and crew on each ship safe.

Mardi Gras sent a contingent of firefighters over to help, as well as clearing all of our public decks and the balconies on the starboard side, and deployed our firefighters to our open decks, complete with charged hoses.

It was scary to see, but reassuring to see the quick response and expertise in keeping everyone safe.

DEBF13F4-04A9-4E9D-96BE-B805E1D840CD.jpeg

3926CD69-5ED1-414F-A215-8CA0103E92F5.jpeg

A833D764-A438-4C7C-AA21-FE6C4952E800.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

44 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

My thoughts exactly. Glad they were able to get it extinguished.

I hope chengkp75 comes along soon to give us his thoughts. 

If you use the @ sign in front of a name they should get an alert that they were mentioned. 

Like:

@chengkp75

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Wow. With so much visible damage....not to mention the damage we can't see...I sure hope this doesn't spell the end of the Freedom. We missed our chance to sail on her when she was ported to Galveston. In fact we had a paid in full 7 day on her for summer of '20. But the cruise got cancelled, thanks to covid. 

1 hour ago, WheresWalter said:

Exactly, she's gone for a prolonged period of time.  I suppose the first question to answer is if she is independently seaworthy with or without any passengers for the return to FLA.

• Like 1