Carnival Freedom Funnel Fire

d12j28

1 minute ago, kbnovak said:

We’re on the Mardi Gras, docked right next to the Freedom.  This was our view of the fire this morning.

All efforts were taken to keep passengers and crew on each ship safe.

Mardi Gras sent a contingent of firefighters over to help, as well as clearing all of our public decks and the balconies on the starboard side, and deployed our firefighters to our open decks, complete with charged hoses.

It was scary to see, but reassuring to see the quick response and expertise in keeping everyone safe.

DEBF13F4-04A9-4E9D-96BE-B805E1D840CD.jpeg

3926CD69-5ED1-414F-A215-8CA0103E92F5.jpeg

A833D764-A438-4C7C-AA21-FE6C4952E800.jpeg

I have a feeling your ship is about to get a bit more crowded. I always suspected they sailed two ships at a time (usually) just for these types of situations and after embarrassing previous incidents. Wondering if they'll be catching a lift home on the behemoth of Seas (aka Mardi Gras). 😁   

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Green4me said:

I'd stick with a cruise if you can.  We have annual passes to WDW, Sea World and Universal.

Trust me you do not want to be in the parks on a holiday weekend.  Plus all local schools here in central Florida are out for the summer starting Friday.

Best of Luck, if you can stretch your trip the Mardi Gras is a beautiful ship.  We sailed her in January and will again July 9.

As a retired Marine Engineer and 40 years in power plant generation,  I'd put my best guess on the previously noted soot build up like a wood stove chimney fire.  Thank God all are safe and it happened at a port and not at sea.

Thanks for the info. WDW or Universal was going to be my next plan, but good reminder about schools being out. Does not sound like a good idea with it being busy. Unfortunately Mardi Gras is out of the budget for the family. Unless Carnival can comp that...awaiting communication from them on next steps as we sail in 2 days. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

Wow. With so much visible damage....not to mention the damage we can't see...I sure hope this doesn't spell the end of the Freedom. We missed our chance to sail on her when she was ported to Galveston. In fact we had a paid in full 7 day on her for summer of '20. But the cruise got cancelled, thanks to covid. 

Waaay too early to tell but it would take major internal damage for that to be her fate in my mind.  Right now they need to figure out what to do with 3000 odd guests.  Like before it gets dark today!

Christine Duffy has to be wondering what else can go wrong! 'This was supposed to be a FUN job!'

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, markp9114 said:

Thanks for the info. WDW or Universal was going to be my next plan, but good reminder about schools being out. Does not sound like a good idea with it being busy. Unfortunately Mardi Gras is out of the budget for the family. Unless Carnival can comp that...awaiting communication from them on next steps as we sail in 2 days. 

If you can't get the flights refunded/changed, you can just make the most of it and go with the flow and find a beach hotel or Airbnb or something. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, markp9114 said:

This burden isn't going to be on you, my friend.  I really believe Carnival will do right by you including airline compensation, etc.  Give 'em some time to sort things out a bit. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

That ship isn’t going anywhere but to a dry dock 

Indeed, I doubt any insurance company would allow that or underwrite that kind of risk. Plus Carnival itself may want to wash their hands of it if they have a comprehensive coverage policy of some sorts. It's could be worth more to collect on that potentially, rather than trying to salvage the ship. Depends on damage from fire and other ongoing maintenance costs, lost revenue potentials and of course refunds for those already paid up. Cluster to be sure.      

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, markp9114 said:

I second the comment about how busy the parks are. We were going to drop in this weekend but it's crazy busy. If you can take a cruise, you will be better off. I'm hopeful Carnival will work with guests to get them on the Mardi Gras for comparable pricing and I believe the Magic sails out of Port Canaveral as well. I could swear we saw her sail by us on sailaway day when we sailed Mardi Gras in March.

41 minutes ago, joe/jack said:

Wonder how they will get back to

Port Canaveral 

Sad way to end your vacation 

Those with passports will fly.

Those without passports will eventually fly home unless they want to not wait and swim back.😉 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, WheresWalter said:

I second the comment about how busy the parks are. We were going to drop in this weekend but it's crazy busy. If you can take a cruise, you will be better off. I'm hopeful Carnival will work with guests to get them on the Mardi Gras for comparable pricing and I believe the Magic sails out of Port Canaveral as well. I could swear we saw her sail by us on sailaway day when we sailed Mardi Gras in March.

The Magic is in Norfolk now

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Those with passports will fly.

Those without passports will eventually fly home unless they want to not wait and swim back.😉 

What kind of airstrip does grand Turk have?

That MAY not be nearly as significant of a repair as it may seem. Note there's no real damage visible besides that one side of the funnel. This could be as simple as a flue fire from improper cleaning of the stacks.  Clean the stacks, replace the funnel, and you're good to go. Granted that still may be a month of work and I'm sure this cruise is now over for those passengers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markp9114 said:

Oh man...Didn't book insurance for our flights or cruise, so now figuring out how to salvage this family vacation. Does anyone know how to search for cruises that are leaving this Saturday from Port Canaveral? 

You could make it a Florida land based vacation.  

• Like 1

Guest BasicSailor
4 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

That MAY not be nearly as significant of a repair as it may seem. Note there's no real damage visible besides that one side of the funnel. This could be as simple as a flue fire from improper cleaning of the stacks.  Clean the stacks, replace the funnel, and you're good to go. Granted that still may be a month of work and I'm sure this cruise is now over for those passengers.

That being said, looks to be if the crew can't get enough water pressure to the top of that wing/ funnel to put the flames out, not a lot of soot cleaning is going to happen, unless its done by hand. 

1 hour ago, markp9114 said:

WDW will be less expensive than the Mardi Gras?  I find that hard to believe.

• Like 5