Carnival Freedom Funnel Fire

d12j28

17 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

And, for the Escape, most of the delays were caused by the difficulty in getting to and getting steel into the places that needed it.  For flames to be that high up the funnel, the fire was in the funnel, not down lower like an engine room fire.  There is little of a structural nature inside the funnel, which is why they can make them out of fiberglass.  I have the feeling that the central portion of the funnel is steel, which is why the damage seems to stop abruptly where the wing attaches to the central funnel.

Paging chengkp75, paging chengkp75

...You're wanted in the following thread on barf and fumes

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, markp9114 said:

Oh man...Didn't book insurance for our flights or cruise, so now figuring out how to salvage this family vacation. Does anyone know how to search for cruises that are leaving this Saturday from Port Canaveral? 

If you're on Carnival's site you can just specify the current month and sail from Port Canaveral as your search filters.

35 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

The ships Carnival has built these days have short, fat, ugly funnels. I'm not sure the tops are interchangeable. Maybe with some high temp duct tape an artistic license they can improvise something.

Could Imagination's funnel - apparently still intact on the beach at Aliaga - be used here?

2 minutes ago, tidecat said:

Could Imagination's funnel - apparently still intact on the beach at Aliaga - be used here?

I dunno, a different class ship, but I think if the original molds still exist that would be best.

5 minutes ago, iria64 said:

If the ship is out of commission for any length of time they now have people to move to other ships, temporarily, to fill some staffing holes.

I'm not sure if new crew on a ship would have to quarantine first.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, tidecat said:

If you're on Carnival's site you can just specify the current month and sail from Port Canaveral as your search filters.

I didn't see a match from any cruise line from Port Canaveral, Tampa, or Jacksonville.

23 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

In other news, CCL stock is up a buck, +/-.

I've been picking up more an more shares as it goes south, in an effort to get the cost/share (overall) lower and lower. I'd like to think it's bottomed out - but recent history (with EVERYTHING) tells me I don't know Jack !

Tom

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

In other news, CCL stock is up a buck, +/-.

plus 8% today

down 25% for the month

and 54% for the year

I will keep an eye on it but I can't imagine the news about the Freedom and the Magic will bolster the recent modest gains.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, markp9114 said:

Oh man...Didn't book insurance for our flights or cruise, so now figuring out how to salvage this family vacation. Does anyone know how to search for cruises that are leaving this Saturday from Port Canaveral? 

Royal Caribbean, Mariner, 8 nights.

4 hours ago, markp9114 said:

Here are the Port Canaveral Cruises this weekend: 

May 28 Disney Fantasy - 7 day

May 28 RCCL Harmony of the Seas 7 day

May 28 MSC Divina 7 or 11 day

May 28 Carnival Mardi Gras 7 day

Edited by SuiteTraveler

40 minutes ago, tidecat said:

I assumed they were planning to use that funnel for the Magica transformation.

I don't foresee the ship leaving Grand Turk anytime soon. Guests will likely be flown out of Turk and Caicos. Though due to the small size of the airport, guests may be stuck in Grand Turk for awhile. Curious if guests are allowed back on the ship as there aren't a ton of hotels right on Grand Turk.

11 minutes ago, toad455 said:

I don't foresee the ship leaving Grand Turk anytime soon. Guests will likely be flown out of Turk and Caicos. Though due to the small size of the airport, guests may be stuck in Grand Turk for awhile. Curious if guests are allowed back on the ship as there aren't a ton of hotels right on Grand Turk.

Luckily the next time both terminals are needed at Grand Turk is June 8th, so it can hang out there but needs to leave to get repaired soon

15 minutes ago, toad455 said:

Someone who is there said the Mardi Gras has delayed her departure from 3:30 to 8:00 pm. My guess would be that Carnival is going to move as many passengers to that ship as possible as she is returning to the same Port Canaveral location that the Freedom was supposed to return to. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, CarnivalShips480 said:

I think it would be too small and they would also want to have a new funnel for a new ship, not a almost 30 year old one

They certainly should have the molds used for Sunrise and Radiance for Magica, which may have a new urgency to start sailing.

1 minute ago, WheresWalter said:

Someone who is there said the Mardi Gras has delayed her departure from 3:30 to 8:00 pm. My guess would be that Carnival is going to move as many passengers to that ship as possible as she is returning to the same Port Canaveral location that the Freedom was supposed to return to. 

There is a problem with that. Mardi Gras, like every other ship, was designed for a certain number of people. You can't crowd two ships worth of people on to Mardi Gras.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BlerkOne said:

They certainly should have the molds used for Sunrise and Radiance for Magica, which may have a new urgency to start sailing.

Yes, I think for each class it should be the exact same. I have a picture of Sunshine and Freedom's funnels next to each other so I'll try to find it.

• Thanks 1