Boo to new photo packages

Likes2cruise

Really disappointed to see that the All-Inclusive photo packages are no longer available to "regular" cruisers.  In order to get this package, you must book under the new Premium rates.  This seems to be the only component that cannot be purchased separately if you choose one of the other fare packages.  We have had the All-Inclusive package on our last three cruises -- really enjoyed interacting with the photographers -- just a fun thing to do.  We never needed the actual prints, but having the digital files was a real plus -- even at $250 per cabin.  When Princess first announced this new category, their Terms and Conditions said that you would be able to purchase the photo package separately for $125.  Now, they've changed that to say it's only available with the Premium fare.  I enjoy the mocktails more than the alcoholic drinks, so moving up to the new Premium fare seemed like a waste of my money when I could get the photo deal on its own.  Since we had already booked with the Plus fare, it would have been $500 more just to get the one component we wanted.  Why, Princess, why????  After 17 cruises with Princess, I am saddened by this "restricted" component.

• Like 1

A Big Box Retailer/Travel supplier used to include a large photo package as part of their package, but I don't think they do anymore.

Photo Package (50 photos + USB digital files, per stateroom)

4 hours ago, Likes2cruise said:

Since we had already booked with the Plus fare, it would have been $500 more just to get the one component we wanted.  Why, Princess, why????  After 17 cruises with Princess, I am saddened by this "restricted" component.

I, too, enjoyed the old photo package.  However, since you already have booked with plus it's my understanding that you can "upgrade" to the new Premium for $25 a day if you call Princess.  They also have a code to give you if you are working with a TA.  I haven't called yet.  I realize that won' t help with future as yet un-booked cruises, but thought I'd pass that along.

5 hours ago, Likes2cruise said:

Really disappointed to see that the All-Inclusive photo packages are no longer available to "regular" cruisers.  In order to get this package, you must book under the new Premium rates.  This seems to be the only component that cannot be purchased separately if you choose one of the other fare packages.  We have had the All-Inclusive package on our last three cruises -- really enjoyed interacting with the photographers -- just a fun thing to do.  We never needed the actual prints, but having the digital files was a real plus -- even at $250 per cabin.  When Princess first announced this new category, their Terms and Conditions said that you would be able to purchase the photo package separately for $125.  Now, they've changed that to say it's only available with the Premium fare.  I enjoy the mocktails more than the alcoholic drinks, so moving up to the new Premium fare seemed like a waste of my money when I could get the photo deal on its own.  Since we had already booked with the Plus fare, it would have been $500 more just to get the one component we wanted.  Why, Princess, why????  After 17 cruises with Princess, I am saddened by this "restricted" component.

Since you don't care for the actual prints, can't you still purchase the digital files for one price?  I can't imagine they won't let you do that.

1 hour ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

Since you don't care for the actual prints, can't you still purchase the digital files for one price?  I can't imagine they won't let you do that.

One of my companions booked the all-inclusive photo package before our Alaska 2021 cruise. A few weeks before our trip, it was refunded by Princess with the explanation that it was no longer offered (even though it had been purchased and Princess took the money). In order to buy our digital prints in the packages they have available (5 and 10 photos, I believe), it would have been close to $1000; if I remember correctly, the package was around $250. This is an unfortunate change, I agree. I hope Princess reconsiders having a separate all-inclusive package for photos.

Here are the photo packages being offered with the advent of the new Premiere option:
5-Photo Package $89.00

Our professional photographers capture your memories at sea. Choose your 5 favorite photos from our Snap Shots, Cruise Moments and Perfect Portraits prints and receive the digital files for free on a souvenir thumb drive. This includes a 10% savings compared to onboard pricing for the same package.

10-Photo Package $169.00

Our professional photographers capture your memories at sea. Choose your 10 favorite photos from our Snap Shots, Cruise Moments and Perfect Portraits prints and receive the digital files for free on a souvenir thumb drive. This includes a 10% savings compared to onboard pricing for the same package.

• Like 2

No all inclusive photo package was available on our Panama Canal Cruise Jan/Feb 2022.  We would have purchased it if we could.  We tried talking to the photo manager to see what he could do.  And he said he couldn't do anything for us.  Digital would have been great.

I can see that I'm not the only one who liked the All-Inclusive photo package.  If I'm like most people, I didn't really need all the actual prints, but getting the digital files for ALL the photos taken was wonderful!  My complaint now is that the All-Inclusive package is available ONLY for those who book the Premium fare.  The photo packages offered to the non-Premium passengers offer so much less for so much more money.  

• Like 3

On 5/26/2022 at 3:46 PM, Doug R. said:
Here are the photo packages being offered with the advent of the new Premiere option:
5-Photo Package $89.00

Our professional photographers capture your memories at sea. Choose your 5 favorite photos from our Snap Shots, Cruise Moments and Perfect Portraits prints and receive the digital files for free on a souvenir thumb drive. This includes a 10% savings compared to onboard pricing for the same package.

10-Photo Package $169.00

Our professional photographers capture your memories at sea. Choose your 10 favorite photos from our Snap Shots, Cruise Moments and Perfect Portraits prints and receive the digital files for free on a souvenir thumb drive. This includes a 10% savings compared to onboard pricing for the same package.

So does this mean you will only get the digital files for either 5 or 10 pictures along with the printed pics?  Does anyone have actual 1st hand knowledge of what you do and don't get?

10 hours ago, Likes2cruise said:

I can see that I'm not the only one who liked the All-Inclusive photo package.  If I'm like most people, I didn't really need all the actual prints, but getting the digital files for ALL the photos taken was wonderful!  My complaint now is that the All-Inclusive package is available ONLY for those who book the Premium fare.  The photo packages offered to the non-Premium passengers offer so much less for so much more money.  

Just curious. When you have had the All-Inclusive package, how many photos did you typically take home with you? Isn’t 10 photos for $169 a pretty decent number? Much cheaper for two people to book the Plus Fare and then have one person purchase the 10 photo package than it would be for two people to buy the Premier Fare. But that assumes that 10 photos is sufficient. Is that a woefully small number?

We're not alcohol drinkers so we don't have the Plus or new Premier package for our July Majestic Alaska cruise. Does this  mean we can't buy any pictures? On past RCL cruises, we've always waited until they posted them(more recently on the screen) before we decided which to buy. 

12 hours ago, Murray's Pop said:

So does this mean you will only get the digital files for either 5 or 10 pictures along with the printed pics?  Does anyone have actual 1st hand knowledge of what you do and don't get?

Without further information, that appears to be the case. This is all of the information from the Princess website.

Edited by Doug R.

10 hours ago, Willwils said:

We're not alcohol drinkers so we don't have the Plus or new Premier package for our July Majestic Alaska cruise. Does this  mean we can't buy any pictures? On past RCL cruises, we've always waited until they posted them(more recently on the screen) before we decided which to buy. 

You can buy whatever you want a la carte. You just can’t buy a bundled package. 

We LOVED when princess had the unlimited photo package.  We bought it when it first came out $99 (introductory price) for a 15 day Hawaiian.  Same price for our 7 day.  We were in suites for both cruises, with the start of club class.  So many pictures.  We got in the habit of stopping at every photo opportunity, all 4 of us (4 in the suite).  We left with hundreds of pictures and a flash drive of all of them.  

Then it stopped.  Like disappeared.  

But we have those printed memories. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, justafem said:

We LOVED when princess had the unlimited photo package.  We bought it when it first came out $99 (introductory price) for a 15 day Hawaiian.  Same price for our 7 day.  We were in suites for both cruises, with the start of club class.  So many pictures.  We got in the habit of stopping at every photo opportunity, all 4 of us (4 in the suite).  We left with hundreds of pictures and a flash drive of all of them.  

Then it stopped.  Like disappeared.  

But we have those printed memories. 

We've done the same on our last few Royal Caribbean cruises. We were a bit disappointed to not find something similar for our upcoming Alaska cruise with Princess. Still debating on a 10 picture package, but after previously having 80 - 100, 10 just seems meh.

• Like 2

I agree with you all.  We had the introductory ($99) price on our Alaska cruise in 2017.  Then again in March 2019 (price up to $199) and in December 2019 when the price was $250 per cabin.  We still considered it quite the bargain because three of us went home with probably 50 prints each plus the digital files for 150 photos.  Not that all the photos were great -- but each one was a memory.   It's just disappointing that Princess has made the unlimited package available only for those paying the new Premium fare.

• Like 2

And sad to say -- but I will most likely cave and just upgrade to the Premier package.  Have decided to look at this like dealing with the cable company.  I pay for a package deal with a lot of channels I don't ever watch.  But without the package, I wouldn't be able to get the channels I DO watch.  Some days, you just can't win!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, montgomeryfamily said:

Can only yóu upgrade or do the others in your stateroom have to upgrade as well?

The 3rd and 4th passengers do not have to upgrade, but the first two passengers must both upgrade if only one of them wants to.

Booking options for upgrading:

image.png.14636d3ba13efa24432ee6969b5a3283.png

• 2 weeks later...

This thread has been very helpful--we are sailing on the Ruby to Alaska in mid-June.  Since we've not cruised with Princess before, can anyone give me an idea of the a la carte photograph pricing for photographs purchased on board?  I'm trying to decide whether the $25 pp/per day upgrade from the Plus package is worth the price (we're not drinkers).

• 1 year later...

I'm going to wait and see if Princess changes their mind and comes up with a new Photo package before my cruise. If they don't, I'll consider upgrading to Premier but I have 17 months until my cruise and I doubt they won't change their offerings a few times by then.

These different packages really have me thinking!!! I am different from everyone else as I have MORE than 60 picture albums, and instead of having ALL the pictures on a hard drive, etc. I have them in albums, and this way I can take my time and look at these pictures. I know this is the NEW way it seems they are doing the pictures, and I'm just about thinking of just taking pictures with our phones, as some of my pictures from my phone has turned out as good as a professional, if someone takes the "time" to take the picture.

Am I also reading that if we get one of these packages, the OTHER person in the room whether they want the package or not, they HAVE to buy it, or the first person cannot get it?

• Like 1

I, too, am a crazy cruise photo collector, and have actually brought home HUNDREDS of photos from one sailing in previous all-inclusive packages, but on my most recent Princess cruise (this past week), I opted for the smaller photo package of five photos (although I almost ordered the ten, but actually bought six), and I found myself more or less satisfied.

Why?  First, we had port calls just about every day, and we were on all-day excursions, many of which left very, very early, always before the photographers set up their little "Welcome to port so and so" shots.  Because we were not on board most of the day, we missed all the casual photo opportunities. 

Okay, we love getting dressed up for formal nights and also posing for photos.  But, many of the backdrops were just too dull or too modern for our taste.  We like the more traditional style backgrounds, and prefer normal full-body shots, versus strange poses.  So we found ourselves with limited options, and tried to make the best of what was available.  Let me say, picking our very favorite shots and poses was in some ways a lot more fun than just taking everything home.  

In any case, the proliferation of phone photo taking has probably hurt the cruise photo industry, so they have to cut back on previous generous offers.  

Edited by LibertyBella
  • Thanks 1